Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Changed in Your Life Since You Became a Volunteer FF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very true statements from all. After awhile you are more comfortable about knowing where your stuff is at, and then the 2am page comes and you scramble for your keys, dig in the drawer for socks. It makes you a rookie all over again, and makes you think for awhile. I always have a set of bunker gear at the bottom of the steps so I'm bunkered when I get to the station. We also have bunkers at the station, so we dont have to drag any along.

I DO need to hear about the frozen lake story.

Comment

7. Realize that you did not cause the incident, whoever is involved is better now that you and your dept. responded regardless of who survives and who doesn't.
      So very true. Sometimes bad things happen to good people. We are "here" to try and help make that bad part get better.

13 and 14 are very imortant too.
      If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

I have one to add.

Pee BEFORE you respond. The time you use before you leave saves you grief later. It's a royal PITB if you have to hold it while waiting 30 min to package and go.

Comment

1. Sweatpants are a wonderful thing at 3 AM. Keep your glasses in the same spot.

2. It works, don't worry about it.

3. Scarey enought I do this. It does help on our snow covered street that I don't have to change the momentum of the truck and can keep going.

4. NO, this is what I call a GAL (get a life). Show up when you are paged or when you have training/meeting. If someone needs you at another time they can pick up the phone and call.

5. Not good for us with kids. Eat at home.

6. Not a big deal, just listen on your scanner, if you have one and joke if you hear something funny. If you don't, go spend time with your kids.

7. That's what a pager on scan is for You hear something really bad happening and say to your wife " Watch out, here it comes." *BEEP*

8. You'll be at the station running the radio or doing the computer.

9. See #7.

10. Nah, do it all the time, even when you can't respond.

Comment

Good rule, I use the same one.

1. yep, cold feet suck
            2. I learned this one after a while.
            3. N/A
            4. Add, no tunnel vision. Watch your speedometer, listen to your radio/pager and LOOK around as your drive. Yes, I stop at green lights.
            5. AMEN!
            6-8. Agreed
            9. Yes, Sunday mornings before church are good times for this.
            10. HIPAA!! Also when your neighbor asks, don't tell them.
            11. What the hey? I want to hear this because I have driven my own car across a lake when frozen using fish camp road.
            12. Agreed, but take a compliment when someone gives it to you.
            13-16. Agreed.

Originally posted by Dickey View Post
            That's funny. I used to do most of those listed and still do a few of them. I understand the humor too. However my rule, and the rule of the department is first is family, second is full time job, then third is the FD. If you follow that, you will be fine.

Now, the things I do or don't do what experience has taught me......

1. Lay out clothes at night before bed. ALWAYS take the time to wear socks!
            2. Listen to the pager completely before moving. It's amazing what information I missed while scrambling to find my keys, put on shoes, etc.
            3. If you take your gear with you like I do, always bring it inside to be warm.
            4. Slow down. The few seconds you save by going balls to the walls isn't worth you being out of breath and all wound up when you need to be calm, cool, and collected.
            5. NEVER just stumble through something. If you don't understand something or have questions, please ask before you kill or injure yourself or others.
            6. Realize there is always someone in need, always emergencies, always fires. I can only make the ones I am available for. I don't have to save the world everyday. An emergency for them does not mean it's an emergency for me.
            7. Realize that you did not cause the incident, whoever is involved is better now that you and your dept. responded regardless of who survives and who doesn't.
            8. No one lives forever. Death is going to happen, sometimes it happens sooner for some. People die and it is not my fault. That is just the nature of the beast.
            9. Take "alone time." You need to take advantage of time off WITHOUT a pager.
            10. Never talk about the last call on the current call. The walls have ears.
            11. Never, never, never ever drive department vehicles onto a frozen lake at anytime for any reason, no matter what is going on!!!
            12. A good firefighter/officer never brags about how good they are. If you have to remind yourself how awesome you are, then it's time slap yourself back to reality.
            13. The day you think you know everything is the day you need to retire because you are dangerous. Training is a constant thing. Arrogance can get you and others killed.
            14. A good officer/instructor is always training their replacement. (think about that one!)
            15. You truly are your brothers keeper. Always watch your back and your brothers back to be safe. No building is worth a human life.
            16. Never have any regrets. Find a balance of personal time, family time, and fire department time.

Just passing on some lessons I learned the hard way.
            Stay safe.

Good luck

Comment

The "6" Eyes have it. We all want to hear the truck over ice story... I put one IN the beach a few years ago.
              If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianB35 View Post
                Pee BEFORE you respond. The time you use before you leave saves you grief later.
                Never delay going to the bathroom. Don't wait for the next commercial, halftime, after-dinner, anything. Inevitably the tones will drop for a 2-hours wires call which may turn into a pump out.
                So you call this your free country
                Tell me why it costs so much to live
                -3dd

Comment

Dickey.

That should be printed and pinned to the wall of every station in really BIG letters.

Well done.
                  Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
                  Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
                    Dickey.

That should be printed and pinned to the wall of every station in really BIG letters.

Well done.
                    Thanks man! Just started thinking and based on experience, it just came out.

Originally posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
                    My thoughts exactly!!!!

Dickey....... do you have a story to tell us...?

Um.....one time......in band camp.........
                    Jason Knecht
                    Firefighter/EMT
                    Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                    Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

Ok.....I give.

The year was 1994. I was in the running for the next Lt. slot that was open. The night before it was going to be announced who go promoted, we received a call of an ice shack fire on Lake Altoona. Lake Altoona is a very popular recreational spot for lots of people, and lots of fishermen that the majority of the lake is in our jurisdiction. Every winter, there is a small village of ice shacks of varying degrees of comforts. This particular year, there was a big problem of people breaking into shacks, then setting them on fire.

We get this call, 3rd or 4th of its kind of that week. Since I was at the station already, I said myself and another guy would take the brush truck out and keep the engine at the station. This brush truck was brand new at the time. Only had it for about a month or so. It didn't even go on a fire call yet. In fact the water tank was just filled on it the week prior to this call. I thought we could test it out, show it off a little while we were at it, and it would be easier than an engine responding. We drove out, put the fire out and started heading back in. We were met by the Assistant Chief who strangely had a very straight face on him.

He proceded to chew my *** up one side and down the other as to why you do not take any city vehicles on the ice for any reason because the vehicle is heavier than most (300 gallons of water, misc. equipment, etc) and we would have a greater chance of busting through the ice. Plus, how would I explain to the Chief that his new brush truck was at the bottom of the lake! After a proper 5 minutes of chewing, him, my driver, and I heard a very loud, very deep cracking sound, followed by a bunch of popping noises. As we looked at each other and held our breath, a pop was heard very close to us and all three of us saw small ice chips out of the corner of our eye fly way up into the air. We looked where it came from and there it was.....a very large crack in the ice that went directly between the new brush truck and the Assistant Chief's truck. I felt my pucker factor go from 0 to 110 in an instant! The color drained out of all of our faces and our eyes got wide. I suddenly had images of the brush truck being a new fish crib and my promotion going right out the window.

In a split second, he stopped poking his finger into my chest and yelling so bad he was spitting in my face and said "see you at the station!" He was back in his truck in a flash and was gone. We all piled into our respective vehicles as quickly as we could and got off the ice pronto! It was just like we all said "uh oh" in our heads and dashed for the truck to get the hell out of there. Back at the station, I wasn't even out of my gear yet when the Chief paged me to his office. Long story short, I was in his office for about 20 minutes getting my *** chewed. His statement was "How would you expect me to explain to the Mayor and City Council you sank my new brush truck??!!"

Two days later, I see the Mayor in the Chief's office when I went to pick up my check. I said hi, and carried on. The Mayor stopped me and said "hey, by the way...." and I heard another 20 minutes of why not to drive City vehicles onto the ice.

Sooo......it has been a big joke ever since then. There was no danger of the truck falling in. There was almost 2 feet of ice when that happened. It was just a stress crack in the ice that formed from it heaving, expanding and contracting. Sure scared the Beejesus out of all of us though. I was almost slipping on my own poo trying to get away!

Just to show the Chief I learned my lesson, I went to a marine store and bought a floatie keychain for the truck. You know, the ones for boat keys, just to make sure I didn't forget!!

Jason Knecht
                      Firefighter/EMT
                      Eau Claire, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

Just to show the Chief I learned my lesson, I went to a marine store and bought a floatie keychain for the truck. You know, the ones for boat keys, just to make sure I didn't forget!!

That's priceless!!!! Love the above part. Something I would probably do.

Thanks for sharing, Dickey! It made my morning.

Comment

I'm sure he appreciated that.
                          28 P.R.I.D.E.
                          Protecting Residents In District #1 Everyday
                          www.westmead1.com

Comment

Agreed, but I was refering to the 1 AM page and you're asleep. As soon as you stand up you have the urge. Don't ignore the urge. Take the 15-20 seconds to pee and then respond.

Originally posted by voyager9 View Post
                            Never delay going to the bathroom. Don't wait for the next commercial, halftime, after-dinner, anything. Inevitably the tones will drop for a 2-hours wires call which may turn into a pump out.

Comment

Originally posted by Nine3Probie View Post
                              Thanks for sharing, Dickey! It made my morning.
                              I'm glad I could make your day!
                              Jason Knecht
                              Firefighter/EMT
                              Eau Claire, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

Went back out today to my old military unit to do some computer stuff for them.

Guy walks in while me and the SNCOs / occifers are yarning over coffee about who is where and doing whatever around the planet.

"Oh, sorry Sir I will come back later" says he.

I replied.

"Mate, don't ever apologise for being somewhere, and DO NOT call me sir, I was a Corporal just like you, the backbone of the Military."

You should have seen the mile wide smile, shoulder proud walk as that Warrior left the room.

Don't care if you take a pay packet once a week, or do it for whatever reason for whatever place around this planet. Don't care what you belive in either.

That conversation lead to talking about the "other stuff" I have done outside their experience and left me with an interesting observation before I left.

I was asked "what the [email protected] is the biggest lessons you can pass on for us to help train these people"

I thought of all the things I have done and experienced, All the things you Brothers have been through, all the things that just kinda happen in this life that make you think "Bugger".

My response was.

"Train them hard, train them fair, teach them to think for themselves, because when the shyte hits, the top 1/2 inch of their body WILL keep them alive. Teach them to motivate themselves, and those around them, for that is how you live."

I hope I got my thoughts across right and did justice to what you do. Paid or Voli.
                                Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
                                Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X