What's up with that? My 2 cents....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with that? My 2 cents....

The other day while on a call that had multiple departments on-scene I heard a paid/career firefighter tell a volunteer that they should not be on-scene because it was a job for "professional" firefighters. When I approached him about it he got ****ed off and accused me of not "supporting my brothers of professional firefighters". His definition of "professional" was a paycheck.

Last time I checked "professional" was how you carried yourself and the level at which you practice your trade. Just because you have a chosen profession you get a check for does not make you a professional. It makes you paid or career.

I know plenty of volunteers I would trust my life with, like-wise, I know just as many career firefighters who I don't trust to cook dinner, much less back me up in a structure. It also works the other way too.

In my opinion it's *******s like this that build that rift in a needed service on both sides of the street. I love my paycheck and job but you gotta love a brother/sister who's willing to put hisher *** on the line for their neighbor for free.

What do ya think?

I doubt we'll ever here the end of the vollie vs. paid arguement.
    Last edited by WaterbryVTfire; 01-11-2007, 03:50 PM.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Comment

Allow me to be the first to say it
      Oh, ****, this is gonna get ugly
      AJ, MICP, FireMedic
      Member, IACOJ.
      FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
      This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Comment

Look it up, he was half right http://m-w.com/dictionary/professional

Comment

I think you need to get some tougher skin.

I hope your not just trying to stir up crap on here; there is a long history of this type of BS getting thrown around on this forum.
          There are ignorant fools all around, I don't care what anyone calls me, or thinks of me.
          The only people I'm accountable to is the brothers I work with, and their opinion is the only one that carries any weight to me.

Comment

I don't walk through life depending on the opinion of others.

As long as I can go to bed at night, knowing I did the best I possibly could today in everything I did, then I am sleeping well.
            "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

"What do ya think?"

Your stirring pooh.
              IACOJ - Senior Jake

Comment

If you are flinging pooh, my second pair of pants will keep me clean!

Comment

"tough love"....

Originally posted by FireDoc99 View Post
                  The other day while on a call that had multiple departments on-scene I heard a paid/career firefighter tell a volunteer that they should not be on-scene because it was a job for "professional" firefighters. When I approached him about it he got ****ed off and accused me of not "supporting my brothers of professional firefighters". His definition of "professional" was a paycheck.

Last time I checked "professional" was how you carried yourself and the level at which you practice your trade. Just because you have a chosen profession you get a check for does not make you a professional. It makes you paid or career.

I know plenty of volunteers I would trust my life with, like-wise, I know just as many career firefighters who I don't trust to cook dinner, much less back me up in a structure. It also works the other way too.

In my opinion it's *******s like this that build that rift in a needed service on both sides of the street. I love my paycheck and job but you gotta love a brother/sister who's willing to put hisher *** on the line for their neighbor for free.

What do ya think?
                  I think you should stop posting nonsense like this, crawl back into your hole and shut the frack up.

Just my 3 cents worth.. it goes up to a nickel on Saturday.
                  ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                  Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

First this situation should never take place on a fire ground.
                    Second is this his fire district or is his company mutual aid, if it is their fire district then If he doesn't like and if he has any type of authority then don't call mutual aid., if his dept. is there mutual aid just like your dept. then there is not much for him to say. Either way this should discussed in a meeting like adults and not on the fire ground.

Comment

I think you need to understand the reason there are so many negative posts. The issue of Volly vs Paid has been beaten to death time and time again on these forums and that is the reason most of us cringe when we hear it brought up again.

As a volly myself I don't feel the need to prove a damn thing to anyone but my crew but I think his comment was probably not needed. But I also have to question bashing him in a public forum, it sounds as if the two of you have a history of not getting along? So what if he don't like vollies, let him shoot his mouth off; however if you think it is effecting scene safety or efficiency then you need to take it to your officer. But keep this in mind, by coming here and calling him a *******s you are showing the same kind of attitude. If it were me I would talk it over with him and work it out, if he looks at vollies that way then thats his prob, don't stoop his level of insults.

PKFPD
                      IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Comment

Was he wearing a leather helmet? Did he have bourkes? Does he prefer 3/4 boots or full turnout gear?

Comment

Originally posted by FireDoc99 View Post

What do ya think?
                          I think you need to get over yourself. Your last paragraph is ludicrous, you're doing your fair share of stirring the s#[email protected] pile yourself . Stuff like this needs to take place at the station,after the call! Whose call was it?

Comment

Same crap, different day. What's it really matter what he thinks? If he was someone important, I guess he could have had the vollies clear or change the mutual aid policy where they don't respond. But a the same time, I run out of fingers and toes counting how many times a vollie has stirred up the same crap. Personally, I take into consideration a firefighters ability, experience, knowledge, and composure under fire, along with my comfort level with them. It doesn't matter to me what side of the fence they're on.

Comment

blah blah blah, never heard of this argument before. **YAWN**

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X