Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleuth
    replied
    We did (I am no longer with that department). It worked great for transmit, very clear. Reception was through the voice amplifier speaker, which, being part deaf, did not help unless I turned the volume up. I would have liked an ear piece, but it was better than just using the radio.
    The other nice feature was having the mask all hooked up and ready to go, but then hooking it to the harness until it was needed. Put it on, press the air switch, and get to work!

Leave a comment:

• michtfd
    replied
    isi

i do like the air switch. do you guys have the radio interface cable to hook into your radio's?

Leave a comment:

• blaster668
    replied
    Whatever you get, I suggest going with one hour cylinders. We recently upgraded from our old Scott 2.2 SCBA's to Scott NXG2's with the one hour cylinders. Boy what a difference these make during real operations! You actually have time to operate inside rather than using most of the air to get in and out.

Leave a comment:

• ScareCrow57
    replied
    Originally posted by michtfd View Post
    they are nice and light, and the masks are great. however the battery life is terrible. not real economical if you want to give everyone their own mask either because of the price of the mask. but they aren't junk just not my favorite. we have been looking at the scott, and msa and those are both very nice packs. so far i would rank them 3rd behind scott and msa. we haven't yet looked at the draeger. i am excited to see what changes they have made in the last 8 years. also with the isi trying to connect and disconnect the mask can become a challenge even with training it is still not as smooth as what we were told it was going to be.
    I find connecting is a piece of cake. You can't line up the connections backwards, and it is a standard connection that works just like the connections on air tools. Difference is there is a positive lock so you have to push the connector together to break the connection. The beauty of the ISI pack is you can be all hooked up and ready to go. I found that when working with other departments I was always waiting o the guy with the Scott pack to hook up his air. I also found that because as soon as they hook up they go on air they would always run out faster. With the ISI I could simply flip the switch down at the last moment. I also had times when I was not in a heavy smoke condition that I could easily go on and off air. I spent over two hours one night at a window because i was able to go on and off air so quickly.

Leave a comment:

• ScareCrow57
    replied
    Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Please, enlighten us on your extensive research that brought you to these "findings". Obviously the poll reflects your views.
    Polls on this sort of thing are based on what you have always used. Some will say that the FORD (Fix Or Repair Daily) is the best automobile simply because that is what they drive. My extensive knowledge came from a 2 year period where I was selling this stuff. As a sales person you examined the goes inta's and the goes outa's. I also serviced and worked on various packs. It would be nice t get an independent evaluation of the packs like the ones you get for the Coke and Pepsi taste test. Unfortunately, anyone with the ability to do the test could tell which is which simply by looking at the packs.

Leave a comment:

• GTRider245
    replied
    Originally posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    I found with the Scott and MSA air packs you were paying for the name and not really getting a better product.
    Please, enlighten us on your extensive research that brought you to these "findings". Obviously the poll reflects your views.

Leave a comment:

• michtfd
    replied
    isi

they are nice and light, and the masks are great. however the battery life is terrible. not real economical if you want to give everyone their own mask either because of the price of the mask. but they aren't junk just not my favorite. we have been looking at the scott, and msa and those are both very nice packs. so far i would rank them 3rd behind scott and msa. we haven't yet looked at the draeger. i am excited to see what changes they have made in the last 8 years. also with the isi trying to connect and disconnect the mask can become a challenge even with training it is still not as smooth as what we were told it was going to be.

Leave a comment:

• jakesdad
    replied
    Getting people to agree which SCBA is best is like getting people to agree which music or food is best. Impossible.

You will get varying opinions as to which is the best and why.

But in reality, the best advice is to get a few SCBA's from each vendor for as long as they will allow you to keep them and put them to the test under YOUR operating conditions in YOUR apparatus with YOUR people.

All have pros and cons. Make a decision that you and your department can live with.

It is a vital piece of equipment at a high dollar cost. Choose wisely.

Leave a comment:

• ScareCrow57
    replied
    Originally posted by michtfd View Post
    was just wondering why having the batteries in the back frame was a good thing? just curious we find it as a pain in the butt. plus we go through a lot of batteries. we have had ours for about 8years. not real happy with them,we are currently exploring new packs. will look at new isi's too. we have the viking digitals.
    All of the batteries are in the frame and there are only 8 AA batteries. This means they are in one place, not in two or three scattered throughout the system. There is also only one size battery, so you only need to keep one kind on hand. AA are much cheaper that the others as well. 9 Volt batteries are very pricey. It makes maintenance much easier as well. I found with the Scott and MSA air packs you were paying for the name and not really getting a better product. Since all packs have the same RIT fitting and air connection interoperability is not really an issue. I know a couple of vendors tried to set up their packs so only their bottles would fit. The ISI was built such that anyone's bottle will work.

Leave a comment:

• michtfd
    replied
    scarecrow

was just wondering why having the batteries in the back frame was a good thing? just curious we find it as a pain in the butt. plus we go through a lot of batteries. we have had ours for about 8years. not real happy with them,we are currently exploring new packs. will look at new isi's too. we have the viking digitals.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Scarecrow,In my mind ISI is just one step above a MSA filter mask. We'll stay with "Product recognition"and a proven performer over my forty years here(Scott). T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 12-11-2008, 10:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jccrabby3084
    replied
    Originally posted by captainwest04 View Post
    My department is looking to replace all our scba's. What I am asking is for is advise on what brand we should go with and what will work the best. We do want to stick with 4500. I would apreciate any feedbac k, Thank You.
    Seems this is turning into a brand preference than advice. First I believe all manufacturers offer 4500's and all will have intergrated PASS and perhaps even buddy breathing. The decision making will come from your dept. I would suggest having several vendors come in and have the members take a look etc. Try them on, see if they will fit into existing brackets on your rigs, are they upgradable, does the facepiece change when there are new upgrades, etc? Then narrow it down to a couple brands you like best and see if you can get some demo packs to use in training etc for a time period and then go with the brand you like best.

However, since this HAS turned into a brand preference thread, we currently use SCOTT and used them in the Navy and on my current dept. Never had a problem, I like them, but if it came down to which one I preferred it would be Drager hands down. The bottle stays in the center of your back when pulling ceilings, reducing fatigue. You just have to shake the PASS device if standing idle, vs shaking your butt, I just overall liked Drage best. I did use Survivair, ISI, MSA etc and I would go with SCOTT and DRAGER over any of those others. MSA tends to change their facepiece way too often, whereas SCOTT has remained the same.

Leave a comment:

• Catch22
    replied
    I would imagine that after a year since the original post, they've probably already determined what pack they were going to buy.

Leave a comment:

• ScareCrow57
    replied
    Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
    We use 2 ISI packs on our training dummies. No one was brave enough to use them anymore after trying them for a couple months. Mask mounted regulators were plastic, that broke in real life use. Low air warning was a whistle that fills up with water and can't blow, in real life use.

Good Luck to you.
    You must have been using old ones. We have never broken a regulator. And I don't recall a whistle.

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    We use 2 ISI packs on our training dummies. No one was brave enough to use them anymore after trying them for a couple months. Mask mounted regulators were plastic, that broke in real life use. Low air warning was a whistle that fills up with water and can't blow, in real life use.

Good Luck to you.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X