Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We use and love ISI.
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Comment

As I've stated in other threads, all I've ever used are SCOTT so I'd say SCOTT.I've had a MSA on at one time and it felt different (probably because I'm so use to wearing SCOTT though) anyways changing is hard to do in the fire service, from one product to another.

Comment

I like these also. http://www.intsafety.com/viking_scba.html
        This is the best pack I have ever worn.
        Marshall Griffiss EMT/FF
        Chaires Capitola Fire Rescue
        Tallahassee, Fl.
        www.stitchingbydesign.net
        Washington Lodge #2 F&AM
        Past Master
        Ham Radio: N4DOG General Class
        IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
          What do you have now?

Suggestion - Have several makes of SCBA brought to your dept on different days and look at them real closely. Have the sales person (dealer) give you all the facts on each of them.

Then write your request for bids, based on what your dept wants in a SCBA. Put the RFB out and see what comes back and after your dept looks them over very closely, award a purchase order.

If your dept is happy with the make of SCBA's that you are using now, then stick with them.

You might take this suggestion one step further by having each sales rep let you have a pack for 30,60, or whatever amount of days to use. Get some training burns, use them on real fires (if you're busy enough), do simulated drills, whatever you can and put them to the test. Run guys through a couple bottles on each pack. See which seems more comfortable after having them on, which one is easier to work in, which breaths easier, etc, etc, etc. Run them through the gauntlet basically.

Personally, I'm a Scott person. They are all I've ever used on a regular basis. I've put on Survivairs, MSA, and Dragers and don't like any of them, but I'm like Bones and locked into my ways. Both of my departments use Scotts and I don't foresee them changing anytime soon (my vollie FD won't as long as I'm chief). Any of the big names are proven for the most part, it's going to be a lot of personal preference when it comes down to it, just like about anything else in the fire service.

Comment

We just went through this, testing all the brands except Drager, who declined to participate. For our department, we chose ISI. They were the easyest to breath, simple to don, and uses one type of common battery (8 AA's, it will run on 4).

Don't overlook ISI (not included in your poll).

Comment

I have used both Scott and MSA and I have enjoyed them both. The things I really like about MSA are the loop connected to the facepiece and the little chest strap that prevents the shoulder straps from sliding off your shoulders.

Comment

Scott

I fond that SCOTT has the most dependable SCBA on the market.

Comment

Originally posted by CRFDrookie View Post
                  I have used both Scott and MSA and I have enjoyed them both. The things I really like about MSA are the loop connected to the facepiece and the little chest strap that prevents the shoulder straps from sliding off your shoulders.
                  The loops on the facepiece are on Scott masks as well. There is a "Standby Clip" on one of the shoulder straps that is designed to clip to that D ring holding your mask at the ready.

As for the chest strap, it's not standard on Scott but they do offer one made of the same material as the harness, Kevlar. It's a Scott Part Number: 805511-01

Comment

I have used both MSA and SCOTT over the years myself. Both the old styles and newer styles.

My personal opinion is that SCOTT is more user friendly and has the better visibility. I mean, SCOTT makes breathing apparatus for astronauts so I guess they are ok for me.
                    Jason Knecht
                    Firefighter/EMT
                    Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                    Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

We recently evaluated all of the brands and found the ISI to be the best on the market. Seems you ignored them for some reason. They are the easiest to use, have the best field of vision, are more streamlined and compact, best fitting, and seem to be the best built. The fact that they use 8 AA batteries located in the backpack it self was big as well.

When it comes to Scott it is all about name recognition. Sort of like buying a Kleenex. Everyone calls them a Kleenex when they are really facial tissue. Try not to get sucked in by name recognition. Unfortunately, it is impossible to remove the name when evaluating products. But if you could do a blind test on the packs I think you will be surprised at the results.

Comment

We use 2 ISI packs on our training dummies. No one was brave enough to use them anymore after trying them for a couple months. Mask mounted regulators were plastic, that broke in real life use. Low air warning was a whistle that fills up with water and can't blow, in real life use.

Good Luck to you.
                        "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
                          We use 2 ISI packs on our training dummies. No one was brave enough to use them anymore after trying them for a couple months. Mask mounted regulators were plastic, that broke in real life use. Low air warning was a whistle that fills up with water and can't blow, in real life use.

Good Luck to you.
                          You must have been using old ones. We have never broken a regulator. And I don't recall a whistle.

Comment

I would imagine that after a year since the original post, they've probably already determined what pack they were going to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by captainwest04 View Post
                              My department is looking to replace all our scba's. What I am asking is for is advise on what brand we should go with and what will work the best. We do want to stick with 4500. I would apreciate any feedbac k, Thank You.
                              Seems this is turning into a brand preference than advice. First I believe all manufacturers offer 4500's and all will have intergrated PASS and perhaps even buddy breathing. The decision making will come from your dept. I would suggest having several vendors come in and have the members take a look etc. Try them on, see if they will fit into existing brackets on your rigs, are they upgradable, does the facepiece change when there are new upgrades, etc? Then narrow it down to a couple brands you like best and see if you can get some demo packs to use in training etc for a time period and then go with the brand you like best.

However, since this HAS turned into a brand preference thread, we currently use SCOTT and used them in the Navy and on my current dept. Never had a problem, I like them, but if it came down to which one I preferred it would be Drager hands down. The bottle stays in the center of your back when pulling ceilings, reducing fatigue. You just have to shake the PASS device if standing idle, vs shaking your butt, I just overall liked Drage best. I did use Survivair, ISI, MSA etc and I would go with SCOTT and DRAGER over any of those others. MSA tends to change their facepiece way too often, whereas SCOTT has remained the same.
                              The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Comment

Scarecrow,In my mind ISI is just one step above a MSA filter mask. We'll stay with "Product recognition"and a proven performer over my forty years here(Scott). T.C.
                                Last edited by Rescue101; 12-11-2008, 10:24 AM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X