Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet Face Shield

Hello;

Do you flip down your helmet face shield while wearing your SCBA face mask? Do you have a requirement to do it or is the SCBA shield as strong as the helmet shield?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Ottawa View Post
    Hello;

Do you flip down your helmet face shield while wearing your SCBA face mask? Do you have a requirement to do it or is the SCBA shield as strong as the helmet shield?

Thanks.
    IIRC, the SCBA mask is certified to the ANSI Z87.1 standard for eye protection, so it should be sufficent.

Don't quote me on that however.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Comment

Yeah I do usually that if something with the mask is defective I have the face shield.

Comment

Originally posted by ACfire1 View Post
        Yeah I do usually that if something with the mask is defective I have the face shield.
        ACfire..
        You shouldn't be wearing a defective face piece.. The helmet face shield does nothing.....after about two or three fires you can't see out of it anyway.... leave it up.. or better yet, take it off the helmet.

Comment

If I've been told right, I believe the face mask is considered to be NFPA compliant eye protection. I know the face shield is only a secondary means of eye protection. I use to pull my shield down when I masked up but it started getting in my way so I took it off. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by lrg500 View Post
            If I've been told right, I believe the face mask is considered to be NFPA compliant eye protection. I know the face shield is only a secondary means of eye protection. I use to pull my shield down when I masked up but it started getting in my way so I took it off. Hope this helps.
            You sir are correct !
            IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
            Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
            ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
            RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
            LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
            I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
            "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
            http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Do you flip down your helmet face shield while wearing your SCBA face mask?
              No, and in all honesty, have never seen/heard of anyone doing this in the last 20 years.
              "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Heh!
                The Dept I was with before my (idioic) relocation to the Garden State INSISTED all wear the stupit sheild.
                I wore a leather and Bourkes
                AJ, MICP, FireMedic
                Member, IACOJ.
                FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
                This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Comment

My shield stays up. I could not see thru it anyway.
                  IACOJ - Senior Jake

Comment

My old department has both the Bourke type eyeshields and the 4" face shields.I got used to the shield type helmet and would always have it down for the reason above:it's an extra layer or protection as it were.
                    Well,that and the helmet was old enough that the screws holding the danged thing wouldn't hold it up which is why in numerous newsclips(all three of them),you'd see me helping take up with my helmet turned around backwards.I wasn't making a fashion statement.The shield not staying up when I wanted it to just annoyed me no end.

Comment

I always left my mask up until i bought leather. It of course had the Bourkes which are totally useless. With that helmet, i would rather wear goggles than the Bourkes.

Comment

Originally posted by jeneric View Post
                        I always left my mask up until i bought leather. It of course had the Bourkes which are totally useless. With that helmet, i would rather wear goggles than the Bourkes.
                        Bourkes aren't even NFPA approved anymore are they? They're completely useless as are face shields. I dont know why shields are still approved, they offer minimal protection during extrication operations it doesn't take a whole lot to get something to fly up underneath one of those. All of our helmets here in Riverside County are issued with goggles no shields no bourkes.

Comment

dustinlevengood, I am not sure. I have retired about 6 years ago so I am not sure anymore. I always thought that they were useless as well. It funny, I remember a youngster once telling me that he didn't like face shields "because they might melt to my face". I let him think about that for awhile ......

Comment

Bourkes work just fine.
                            I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

Originally posted by dustinlevengood View Post
                              Bourkes aren't even NFPA approved anymore are they? They're completely useless as are face shields. I dont know why shields are still approved, they offer minimal protection during extrication operations it doesn't take a whole lot to get something to fly up underneath one of those. All of our helmets here in Riverside County are issued with goggles no shields no bourkes.
                              Goggles burn up too. So you might as well keep a good pair of safety glasses in your pocket if Bourkes don't suit your fancy.
                              Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
                              Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Originally posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X