X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Moediaz
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2006

FDNY New Sections 01-03-07

Ok, at the FDNY test prep class. The Instructors informed us, and tested us on the new sections of the FDNY test, That we'll be tested on.
    Here are the new sections:

Perceptual Speed
    Adaptability
    Number Facility
    Work Standards
    Tenacity

In that specific class, they gave us a test, with the hardest memorization picture i've seen. It was a apartment complex, with alot, i mean "alot" of fire activity and different "Keys". I incourage you, to study alot on the memorization section, for this part can make you or break you on the test.

Here's an example of a Math problem we faced:
    Taxpayer buildings are common in NYC. Taxpayer buildings are usually one to two floors in height and many businesses can operate out of these buildings. Fire Department hoses are 50ft in lenght. If Engine 1 is located at the Fire hydrant and engine 2 is located 300ft away at the taxpayer building. Chief directed Engine 1 to stretch enough hoses to reach Engine 2, how many lenghts of hose would Engine 1 need to stretch?
    a) 8 lenghts
    B) 10 Lenghts
    c) 6 lenghts
    d) 7 lenghts

Here's example of a Tenacity problem we faced:
    You respond o an emergency medical call for an ederly person with chest pains.When the Engine arrives on the scene they have a hard time getting into the apartment because the place is filled with newspaper, boxes, mail and is not well kept. The apartment has insects and has a foul odor. You finally enter the premises and find the patient. He is conscience and speaking, feels nausea, tightness in the chest, light headed and tingling in the right arm. You try to help the patient but can't because the conditions are dirty and have a slight odor. You notify the officer and advice her that they should wait for the EMT's to help the patient because your not use to the conditions, he is conscience and able to speak, so he can wait for ambulance to arrive. The officer agrees and told the company to wait in the hall until the ambulance arrives.

The Engine company's actions were:
    a) Correct: This clearly a healthy risk for the Firefighters and it is difficult to help the patient under the conditions.
    B) Incorrect: The Engine company should keep verbal contact with the patient from the hall in case his condition changes.
    c)Correct: You do not want to place you equipment down because of insects.
    d) Incorrect: You must administrate patient care unless the surrounding can not allow you to carry out your dutires or present a danger to you.

These are a few examples of questions the DCAS will be adding.
    I hope everybody studies, and doesn't give into lazyness.

There are more questions, and i hope to post more soon to give all those who can't make it to the meetings a heads up.

P.S
    If you know a military personnel, who is serving or served in iraq. Who would like to take the FDNY test, they need to call DCAS. They will be able to take the test automatically.
  • DocVBFDE14
    MembersZone Subscriber
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Moediaz

Here's example of a Tenacity problem we faced:
    You respond o an emergency medical call for an ederly person with chest pains.When the Engine arrives on the scene they have a hard time getting into the apartment because the place is filled with newspaper, boxes, mail and is not well kept. The apartment has insects and has a foul odor. You finally enter the premises and find the patient. He is conscience and speaking, feels nausea, tightness in the chest, light headed and tingling in the right arm. You try to help the patient but can't because the conditions are dirty and have a slight odor. You notify the officer and advice her that they should wait for the EMT's to help the patient because your not use to the conditions, he is conscience and able to speak, so he can wait for ambulance to arrive. The officer agrees and told the company to wait in the hall until the ambulance arrives.

The Engine company's actions were:
    a) Correct: This clearly a healthy risk for the Firefighters and it is difficult to help the patient under the conditions.
    B) Incorrect: The Engine company should keep verbal contact with the patient from the hall in case his condition changes.
    c)Correct: You do not want to place you equipment down because of insects.
    d) Incorrect: You must administrate patient care unless the surrounding can not allow you to carry out your dutires or present a danger to you.

This is NOT a question. This is s**t stirring and an insult to any firefighter ever certified to do anything as remote as put a band-aid on a papercut.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Comment

• Moediaz
      Forum Member
      • Jun 2006

Those are the type of questions the put on the tutorial tests for the FDNY.
      I have no say in what they put on it or even why?
      They want to see, if a applicant will no better in that situation to complete the job.

Comment

• mm2006
        MembersZone Subscriber
        • Nov 2006

Hey MoeDiaz, I just downloaded the test preparation materials from the fdny website and cannot find any of the material you speak of located in the booklet. Have they said in the class your attending if they plan to post the materials for the two new sections of the test on their website?

Comment

• Slaytallica45
          Forum Member
          • May 2005

Originally posted by Moediaz

c) 6 lenghts

those would be my answers
          NJ FFII/EMT-B

Comment

• Moediaz
            Forum Member
            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by mm2006
            Hey MoeDiaz, I just downloaded the test preparation materials from the fdny website and cannot find any of the material you speak of located in the booklet. Have they said in the class your attending if they plan to post the materials for the two new sections of the test on their website?

I'm, not a 100% what they offer on the internet. All i'm going by is what test booklets they give out to use and go over with us. The Test booklet is called "Recruitment and DIversity Initiative Unit, FireFighter Test Preparation".

More then likely, your downloading material that is in two books the students recieved. One book is in red, and the other is in Blue.

The Questions i presented to you in this forum is part of the new sections they'll be testing us on. It's one of the few types of questions we'll be presented with.

The New Sections are:
            Perceptual Speed
            Adaptability
            Number Facility
            Work Standards
            Tenacity

Comment

• matty21
              Forum Member
              • Dec 2006

Those new sections are brand new and are not in the red and blu books that they are posting online.

The FD just found out about a week ago that these new sections MIGHT be on the test. The only place to find these questions is at the new classes (week 5+). I do not think they are going to post every weeks material online so i sugest you get up and go to class.

Comment

• Moediaz
                Forum Member
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by matty21
                Those new sections are brand new and are not in the red and blu books that they are posting online.

The FD just found out about a week ago that these new sections MIGHT be on the test. The only place to find these questions is at the new classes (week 5+). I do not think they are going to post every weeks material online so i sugest you get up and go to class.
                So everybody, i'll try to post more questions and updates in this thread, for those who can't make it.
                Those two questions i posted, are some of the questions in the new section.
                Those Red and Blue books, were given out to the class, we studied those books for the 1st 4 weeks of the classes. Now it's week 5, and were going to be learning the new sections.

Comment

• Firetacoma1
                  MembersZone Subscriber
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Slaytallica45
                  those would be my answers
                  Those were my answers too... but then I think I tried to overthink the hose question... sure in a perfect world 6 lengths would cover it, but real world I'd stretch at least and extra stick of hose.

Comment

• PureAdrenalin
                    It looks hot in there
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Firetacoma1
                    Those were my answers too... but then I think I tried to overthink the hose question... sure in a perfect world 6 lengths would cover it, but real world I'd stretch at least and extra stick of hose.
                    That was my answer too, six does it, but seven is perfect.

.....Must not use real world knowledge..must not use real world knowledge...
                    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Comment

• BackstepFF
                      MembersZone Subscriber
                      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Firetacoma1
                      I don't know if that's "overthinking" the question or just using common sense. Would six lengths cover it? I've never seen hose stretched in a perfectly straight line and although Engine 2 is 300 ft. away, is that to the backstep or the pump panel? I'd have to say the correct answer is seven.

Comment

• matty21
                        Forum Member
                        • Dec 2006

When you take these tests you must assume unless it is stated different in the question that everything is perfect. They asked you only to streetch to the other engine. You cant take into effect that all 6 lines will not be perfectly straight and need an extra.
                        There was a similiar question:
                        You are traped on a roofof a 17 story building. Your life saving rope is 150ft. you anchor your rope 50ft from the edge of the roof. Each story is 10 ft apart. What is the lowest floor you can decend too?
                        A)6
                        B)7
                        C)8
                        D)9

The answer is 7 but in a real life scenerio you would be on (or close too) the last strand of rope. Just the way you have to take the test.

Comment

• BackstepFF
                          MembersZone Subscriber
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by matty21
                          When you take these tests you must assume unless it is stated different in the question that everything is perfect. They asked you only to streetch to the other engine. You cant take into effect that all 6 lines will not be perfectly straight and need an extra.
                          There was a similiar question:
                          You are traped on a roofof a 17 story building. Your life saving rope is 150ft. you anchor your rope 50ft from the edge of the roof. Each story is 10 ft apart. What is the lowest floor you can decend too?
                          A)6
                          B)7
                          C)8
                          D)9

The answer is 7 but in a real life scenerio you would be on (or close too) the last strand of rope. Just the way you have to take the test.
                          Matty,
                          Not to mention you need a few feet of rope to tie your anchor. I see what you're saying, but those are some goofy questions. If I got it wrong I'd challenge the test writer to descend to the 7th floor and then sit back and watch. Actually, as far as that goes you can descend all the way to the ground - it's just a matter of how fast.
                          I'll take the guy who can think the problem through, not just do a grade school math problem, any day of the week.

Comment

• BackstepFF
                            MembersZone Subscriber
                            • Nov 2006

Sorry, duplicate post.
                            Last edited by BackstepFF; 01-07-2007, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• CTJAKE
                              Forum Member
                              • May 2004

You guys are going to "think" yourself right out of the test. They are not testing your firefighting ability and what you know about firefighting.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...