Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jonnyirons2
    replied
    I had a ben 2 issued to me, its universal so from 6.5 to 8.5 inch heads. Leather is more of a custom fit by far.

Leave a comment:

• lightsandsound
    replied
    Yeah...then along came louisgee with the bigga ****in head!!

I'm not sure exactly what my head size is...it's pretty big though! ...I'm currently in Ben 2 with no problems, I don't even know if that's a relevant comparison to a Cairns leather jobbie. Been thinking about making the swap to leather and **** some of the guys here off, lol... .....This digital pics aren't necessary just yet (for me at least), but I'll keep it in mind....thanks alot for the offer, much appreciated!

Drive carefully and get some GD tires.

Leave a comment:

• jonnyirons2
    replied
    If your head is bigger than 8 1/4 the least of your problems will be fitting in a helmet :-) To adjust the size without the ratchet, peel back the brown inner fabric, or better yet bring it out of the helmet. You will see a white/clear plastic band going around the helmet. With the pieces of foam provided with your new lid, place the foam in between the brown fabric and the impact cap. Dont remove the adhesive tape before you try a few spots first. Obviously if your head is on the borderline of a large size helmet this will be not an option and the ratchet must stay. I have seen guys slice openings for the ratchet assembly in the ear flaps so they wont always be wrapped around the ratchet assembly. If anyone needs pics, I will be working tomorrow day and night and I can take some. Just reply asap as I try to hit the sheets early before a 24, and with this weather (light snow) I may be in for some 46 mile trip in the morning, my cheap *** has been delaying the purchase of snow tires :-(

Leave a comment:

• lightsandsound
    replied
    Anyone had any cases where their fat head couldn't fit into the size large?? No leather in that case I guess??
    Last edited by lightsandsound; 01-18-2007, 05:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ehs7554
    replied
    Last edited by ehs7554; 01-27-2012, 10:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JCA1386
    replied
    thanks, if you can get it to me or email whenever you get a shot [email protected] yahoo.com

Leave a comment:

• cdemarse
    replied
    Originally posted by JCA1386 View Post
    anyone know off hand when the new nfpa is coming out that states you can carry goggles in your pocket instead of having them mounted on your lid? I heard talk about it just wondering if anyone had a concrete date. THanks
    No concrete date but I do have the complete list somewhere around here and it was in it.

Leave a comment:

• JCA1386
    replied
    anyone know off hand when the new nfpa is coming out that states you can carry goggles in your pocket instead of having them mounted on your lid? I heard talk about it just wondering if anyone had a concrete date. THanks

Leave a comment:

• FFFRED
    replied
    Originally posted by cdemarse View Post
    When I am not wearing my facepiece I have my ear flaps tucked in my helmet which makes it a little smaller to fit my head. When I need it bigger for my facepiece I can either drop the flaps or leave them up it works both ways for me. I personally wear my helmet strap at fires also.

My head just seems to be the right size for a medium. If there were no ratchets and I had to order a size it would be the medium.

You should be able to pop the ratchet off and try it. If you dont like it put it back in.

Same here, flaps in fits nicely, with facepiece on the ear flaps come out.

FTM-PTB

Leave a comment:

• cdemarse
    replied
    Originally posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    I don't see how taking the ratchet system out works either. Currently when I wear my lid I wear it to obviousley fit my head. But if I have a mask, and hood on I have to increase the size of the helmet or it won't fit. If I were to leave it a little somewhere in the middle it would be too lose when not wearing a mask.

Shed some light for me guys.
    When I am not wearing my facepiece I have my ear flaps tucked in my helmet which makes it a little smaller to fit my head. When I need it bigger for my facepiece I can either drop the flaps or leave them up it works both ways for me. I personally wear my helmet strap at fires also.

My head just seems to be the right size for a medium. If there were no ratchets and I had to order a size it would be the medium.

You should be able to pop the ratchet off and try it. If you dont like it put it back in.

Leave a comment:

• cdemarse
    replied
    I have the same deal as fffred. My head fits my medium helmet great. Both with and without facepiece. As he said ratchet in or ratchet out your head is resting on the same piece. The ratchet is only held in by two little plastic knobs and a piece of Velcro.

Leave a comment:

• BKDRAFT
    replied
    I don't see how taking the ratchet system out works either. Currently when I wear my lid I wear it to obviousley fit my head. But if I have a mask, and hood on I have to increase the size of the helmet or it won't fit. If I were to leave it a little somewhere in the middle it would be too lose when not wearing a mask.

Shed some light for me guys.

Leave a comment:

• FFFRED
    replied
    Originally posted by NonSurfinCaFF View Post
    For those of you who removed the ratchet what do you have for a suspension inside, and how do you adjust the size now? Mine is an older Sam Houston (I guess it would be an N6A) and it came with a cloth liner with a draw string, pull the string to the right spot tie it off and the helmet fits nice.

Just curious, I haven't really looked at one with a ratchet so it might be obvious, but I'm picturing the inner liner right against your head which sounds uncomfortable.
    The ratchet is completely independent of the suspension and is only to tighten the fit of a helmet because the lids today are meant to fit a range of head sizes not one specific one as in days of yore. My head fits nicely into a Medium without a ratchet...if it were a little smaller I would have to use the ratchet.

Basicly in lieu of offering 6 or 8 different size helmets Cairns has chosen to offer only 2 (smalls were recently discontinued) sizes and use the ratchet to adjust them to fit everyone in between.

The inner liner is always against your head...not sure how this is unconfortable.

FTM-PTB

Leave a comment:

• NonSurfinCaFF
    replied
    For those of you who removed the ratchet what do you have for a suspension inside, and how do you adjust the size now? Mine is an older Sam Houston (I guess it would be an N6A) and it came with a cloth liner with a draw string, pull the string to the right spot tie it off and the helmet fits nice.

Just curious, I haven't really looked at one with a ratchet so it might be obvious, but I'm picturing the inner liner right against your head which sounds uncomfortable.

Leave a comment:

• fireman4949
    replied
    Originally posted by cdemarse View Post
    Exactly
    At a good fire its nothing for us to go though 2-3 bottles. Not everyone has huge amounts of manpower.
    Same here.

Minimum manning for us is 3/unit.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...