Cairns Helmets: N5A vs N6A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Bending the brim of your helmet is the fastest way to shortening its life. When they manufacture them they soak the leather in a hardner then bake it to get it to the stiffness you feel in your hands. When you bend the leather you crack it allowing it to start degrading from the inside not just the outside. While many a man has done it, many a man has also replaced the brim of his lid with bondo and pieces of leather. We wear 45 min cylinders at work, I am lucky I have a long torso and have never really had an issue with the cylinders hitting the brim. I wont ever bend mine. If it hits just wear it lower on your back, who uses the waist straps anyway.
    We have one hour bottles here and I am 5'9". I think I wear my bottle higher than most because that's how I have always worn it. I can't stand having the bottle real low. By the way we have the straps attached anytime the bottle is on the back. Thanks for the heads up on bending the brim.

Comment

Thanks for those links brother. It looks like there are two methods for the "Bronx Bend." Hot water and the oven. For those of you who wear leather with the bend, which method did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by BKDRAFT View Post
        Thanks for those links brother. It looks like there are two methods for the "Bronx Bend." Hot water and the oven. For those of you who wear leather with the bend, which method did you use?
        Mine is bent from a training fire that got too hot (1200*) and the leather bent (i'm assuming) when I looked up and it was hitting the bottle, but It interfaces well with the scba now(3000psi)

Comment

No, the straps would get caught if I did have them connected, it prevents movement for me.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
            If it hits just wear it lower on your back, who uses the waist straps anyway.
            I learned long ago to wear the waist strap, pull it tight, then loosen the shoulder straps some so that the waist strap holds more of the pack weight, your shoulders and back won't fatigue nearly as fast. This is especially important on those 4 and 5 bottle jobs!

Kevin
            Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
            IAFF Local 2339
            K of C 4th Degree
            "LEATHER FOREVER"
            Member I.A.C.O.J.
            http://www.tfdfire.com/
            "Fir na tine"

Comment

Originally posted by fireman4949 View Post
              I learned long ago to wear the waist strap, pull it tight, then loosen the shoulder straps some so that the waist strap holds more of the pack weight, your shoulders and back won't fatigue nearly as fast. This is especially important on those 4 and 5 bottle jobs!

Kevin
              Thats what i've been taught too. That's how you are supposed to do it when hiking a heavy *** pack through the mountains too..............

Last edited by backsteprescue; 01-15-2007, 01:25 PM.
              ------------------------------------
              These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
              ------------------------------------

Comment

If we use four or five cylinders the least of our worries will be our backs. If its not out in one we have a big problem.

Comment

Originally posted by fireman4949 View Post

Kevin
                  Exactly
                  At a good fire its nothing for us to go though 2-3 bottles. Not everyone has huge amounts of manpower.
                  "Train as if your life depends on it"
                  Always Remember *343*

Comment

Originally posted by cdemarse View Post
                    Exactly
                    At a good fire its nothing for us to go though 2-3 bottles. Not everyone has huge amounts of manpower.
                    Same here.

Minimum manning for us is 3/unit.
                    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
                    IAFF Local 2339
                    K of C 4th Degree
                    "LEATHER FOREVER"
                    Member I.A.C.O.J.
                    http://www.tfdfire.com/
                    "Fir na tine"

Comment

For those of you who removed the ratchet what do you have for a suspension inside, and how do you adjust the size now? Mine is an older Sam Houston (I guess it would be an N6A) and it came with a cloth liner with a draw string, pull the string to the right spot tie it off and the helmet fits nice.

Just curious, I haven't really looked at one with a ratchet so it might be obvious, but I'm picturing the inner liner right against your head which sounds uncomfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by NonSurfinCaFF View Post
                        For those of you who removed the ratchet what do you have for a suspension inside, and how do you adjust the size now? Mine is an older Sam Houston (I guess it would be an N6A) and it came with a cloth liner with a draw string, pull the string to the right spot tie it off and the helmet fits nice.

Just curious, I haven't really looked at one with a ratchet so it might be obvious, but I'm picturing the inner liner right against your head which sounds uncomfortable.
                        The ratchet is completely independent of the suspension and is only to tighten the fit of a helmet because the lids today are meant to fit a range of head sizes not one specific one as in days of yore. My head fits nicely into a Medium without a ratchet...if it were a little smaller I would have to use the ratchet.

Basicly in lieu of offering 6 or 8 different size helmets Cairns has chosen to offer only 2 (smalls were recently discontinued) sizes and use the ratchet to adjust them to fit everyone in between.

The inner liner is always against your head...not sure how this is unconfortable.

FTM-PTB

Comment

I don't see how taking the ratchet system out works either. Currently when I wear my lid I wear it to obviousley fit my head. But if I have a mask, and hood on I have to increase the size of the helmet or it won't fit. If I were to leave it a little somewhere in the middle it would be too lose when not wearing a mask.

Shed some light for me guys.

Comment

I have the same deal as fffred. My head fits my medium helmet great. Both with and without facepiece. As he said ratchet in or ratchet out your head is resting on the same piece. The ratchet is only held in by two little plastic knobs and a piece of Velcro.
                            Always Remember *343*

Comment

Originally posted by BKDRAFT View Post
                              I don't see how taking the ratchet system out works either. Currently when I wear my lid I wear it to obviousley fit my head. But if I have a mask, and hood on I have to increase the size of the helmet or it won't fit. If I were to leave it a little somewhere in the middle it would be too lose when not wearing a mask.

Shed some light for me guys.
                              When I am not wearing my facepiece I have my ear flaps tucked in my helmet which makes it a little smaller to fit my head. When I need it bigger for my facepiece I can either drop the flaps or leave them up it works both ways for me. I personally wear my helmet strap at fires also.

My head just seems to be the right size for a medium. If there were no ratchets and I had to order a size it would be the medium.

You should be able to pop the ratchet off and try it. If you dont like it put it back in.
                              Always Remember *343*

Comment

Originally posted by cdemarse View Post
                                When I am not wearing my facepiece I have my ear flaps tucked in my helmet which makes it a little smaller to fit my head. When I need it bigger for my facepiece I can either drop the flaps or leave them up it works both ways for me. I personally wear my helmet strap at fires also.

My head just seems to be the right size for a medium. If there were no ratchets and I had to order a size it would be the medium.

You should be able to pop the ratchet off and try it. If you dont like it put it back in.

Same here, flaps in fits nicely, with facepiece on the ear flaps come out.

FTM-PTB

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X