• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gone Bad

This has to hurt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVU0fosLleo&eurl=

2 thoughts come to mind.

1. It was NOT improper ladder healing. Simply because no one was.

2. ANYONE stands under a ladder down here, if there be a person on it or not, and their @ss is grass.

That lot shouldn't even be able to call themselves a bloody fire department.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

Don't be so hard on the guy!!

He had to go take a leak!!!

Or maybe he was ordered to go freelance somewhere!!
      Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
        2 thoughts come to mind.

1. It was NOT improper ladder healing. Simply because no one was.

2. ANYONE stands under a ladder down here, if there be a person on it or not, and their @ss is grass.

That lot shouldn't even be able to call themselves a bloody fire department.
        In the US., that is one of the ways that is taught how to "heal" a ladder (Essentials of Firefighting, 4th ed.). Obviously, you are not taught to walk away before they get off at the top.

Comment

Guys, notice the white helmet. Need I say more.

Comment

It is a good example of what could go wrong. We had an officer fall from a ladder in a similar accident, it put him out for several months. I think many people become complacent. The proper climbing angle would have helped also.
            How do you get a video off of youtube? it would be good to have for training.

Comment

Obviously, you are not taught to walk away before they get off at the top.
              Correct.

We heel the ladder from the front, and it is always heeled until the person has fully removed themselves from the ladder.

Standing underneath a ladder and hanging on to it is blind shtupidity in my opinion, one slip and you are both stuffed.
              Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
              Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

Originally posted by ADSNWFLD View Post
                It is a good example of what could go wrong. We had an officer fall from a ladder in a similar accident, it put him out for several months. I think many people become complacent. The proper climbing angle would have helped also.
                How do you get a video off of youtube? it would be good to have for training.
                Try requesting it be copied to this site www.1dawg.com. They are new and offer many download variations

Comment

It works better then you're thinking Ian. You have pretty good leverage underneath to hold the ladder tight -- more then you do using a heel in the front.

Now, you have to know the application -- you wouldn't want to use this style if one guy is going up to vent a window (you'll enjoy a glass and frame shower).

It can be very efficient too, since the butt man just transitions to the heel without having to move.

Comment

ADSN...

Try right clicking on this link, as "save as" to you computer:

http://www.d90.us/fire/ladder_slipping.swf

You'll need FlashPlayer installed, you most likely already do but if not:
                    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash

I ended up having to use Flash to make the swf file...not bad, but it's not software most people are likely to have since licensed copies are several hundred dollars. I could be dangerous now that I know how to do this though

Comment

#1 Ow
                      #2 somebody decided to multi-task a little early
                      My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
                      "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                      George Mason
                      Co-author of the Second Amendment
                      during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
                      Elevator Rescue Information

Comment

Originally posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
                        Don't be so hard on the guy!!

He had to go take a leak!!!

Or maybe he was ordered to go freelance somewhere!!
                        Your last sentence sums it up pretty well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is very unfortunate,preventable and very upsetting!!!!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzfT-RK5Rcc

Found another one, No Heeling of the ladder, and to add to that the rung was right below the sill of the window. Now to my understanding atleast one above the roof and sillof a window correct?

Hers some pictures from a Fire in my county, a flashover occurred

http://www.susquehanna5.com/fullstory.php?39142

Ladder placement one rung above

(Im just tryin to make sure that's the proper way to place the ladder)
                          Last edited by SchmmidyABVFC; 01-02-2007, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Schmiddy:
                            The ladder placement relative to the sill in the 2nd video is acceptable (scratch that, PREFERRABLE).

1) It allows you to vent a window without relocating the ladder.

2) It allows you to enter as low as possible -- since hot smoke is going out the top of the window.

3) It allows someone WHO IS TRAINED TO to make a bail out of the building in an emergency.

Placing it against a roof you want the rungs above the roof line -- so you can locate it easier, and you're not constrained by hot gases banking down on you.

At least no accident happened -- looks like they got yelled at near the end for not paying attention to what they were assigned to do though!

The Susqehanna photos...that doesn't look like a rung-above-the-sill to me -- kind of tough to tell, but if there was rung there there would be at least 1' of beam sticking into the window...and those guys look to low and wide by the sill for that to be true.

===============================
                            Ok, I played with Flash some more:

http://www.d90.us/fire/ladder_slipping_2.swf

Feedback?
                            Last edited by Dalmatian190; 01-02-2007, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalmatian190 View Post
                              Schmiddy:
                              The ladder placement relative to the sill in the 2nd video is acceptable (scratch that, PREFERRABLE).

1) It allows you to vent a window without relocating the ladder.

2) It allows you to enter as low as possible -- since hot smoke is going out the top of the window.

3) It allows someone WHO IS TRAINED TO to make a bail out of the building in an emergency.

Placing it against a roof you want the rungs above the roof line -- so you can locate it easier, and you're not constrained by hot gases banking down on you.

At least no accident happened -- looks like they got yelled at near the end for not paying attention to what they were assigned to do though!

===============================
                              Ok, I played with Flash some more:

http://www.d90.us/fire/ladder_slipping_2.swf

Feedback?

After posting that I didnt realize that, I looked back on that and realized they placed that ladder for that specific reason. Sorry Im embarressed

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X