• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E229Lt
    replied
    Originally posted by FFFRED View Post
    Lou,
    Just so you know...Michael Boucher is a Dispatcher in the Boro of liars...errr I mean Boro of fires and Frederick Melahn, Jr. works at the Mand Library...he is a big help if your company is ever researching for its centenial. I've seen rough coppies of the book and it looks like a must have for any fireman.

FTM-PTB

I knew about Fred from the Mand, that was good enough for me and I pre-ordered the book a few weeks ago.

Leave a comment:

• SteveDude
    replied
    Originally posted by mky915 View Post
    ma17461

The Brave: A Story of New York City Firefighters by George Pickett
    Excuse the interference of a foreigner here...

It isn't George's book, I reviewed it for the UK Market and know it was published in 2002 much later than the book that is being referred to. However, I have to say that George's Book is a fine read and would reccomend it if you haven't yet.

Leave a comment:

• len1582
    replied
    .....s.i. ??.....

Leave a comment:

• FFFRED
    replied
    Originally posted by E229Lt View Post
    This book is due for release in a month or two.I don't know too much about the authors, but it looks like a great reference.

http://www.mtpublishing.com/proddeta...prod=lastalarm

Lou,
    Just so you know...Michael Boucher is a Dispatcher in the Boro of liars...errr I mean Boro of fires and Frederick Melahn, Jr. works at the Mand Library...he is a big help if your company is ever researching for its centenial. I've seen rough coppies of the book and it looks like a must have for any fireman.

FTM-PTB

Leave a comment:

• E229Lt
    replied
    This book is due for release in a month or two.I don't know too much about the authors, but it looks like a great reference.

http://www.mtpublishing.com/proddeta...prod=lastalarm

Leave a comment:

• FFFRED
    replied
    Here it is on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FDNY-FIREHOUSE-B...em110075440983

FTM-PTB

Leave a comment:

• ma17461
    replied
    Throthestick and FFFRED thats it thats the book, i thought it was something along those lines but didnt think it was just called "firehouse" I appreciate all the replies fellas, and i'll also be checkin out "the brave" by George Pickett, looks pretty good. Thanks again!

Matt

Leave a comment:

• IronsMan53
    replied
    I found this review on http://www.amazon.com when checking out The Brave by George Pickett:

During the years that George Pickett so vividly describes in The
    Brave, I worked in a neighboring fire company in the "west village." On many shifts, I worked in the Great Jones Street Firehouse that was the quarters of Engine 33 and Ladder 9. I knew most of the men who are mentioned in this action packed story. George Pickett's accounts of what went on in the firehouse, the detailed description of the firehouse and the unrelenting fire activity of the "lower eastside" is so real, that I felt as if I was working another tour there as I read The Brave. Pickett's writing style is superb as he takes the reader
    from a harrowing fire then back to the mundane moments in the firehouse. He skillfully weaves the lives of the residents of the east village into this fast paced story that speaks of a changing society, changing fire service and a changing America. This book is worthy of becoming a movie.

mky915 and nyckftbl seem to be right, this must be the book that you are looking for. But then again after reading FFFred's post I am having my doubts. Either way I will be ordering a copy. It seems like a good book.
    Last edited by IronsMan53; 01-02-2007, 10:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FFFRED
    replied
    The book that is about 33 & 9 is Firehouse by Bernard Wolf published in 1983.

NY Times review:

Published: November 13, 1983
    FIREHOUSE. By Bernard Wolf. Illustrated with photographs by the author. (Morrow, $9.50. Ages 10 to 14.) Mr. Wolf presents an unglamorized account of Engine Company 33 and Ladder Company 9 on Manhattan's Lower East Side. The heroism and the hard work familiar in books about firemen are here; so are arson and encounters with hostile street crowds. There are also dinner at the station and off-duty softball. The text is fine; the photographs--harsh available light in the classic photojournalistic tradition--are special.

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 01-02-2007, 10:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nyckftbl
    replied
    Originally posted by mky915 View Post
    ma17461

That is correct.

Leave a comment:

• throthestick
    replied
    The book your thinking of is an old book also called firehouse..[ not the halberstiene book ] black and white photos... I saw it for the first time at the boston fire museum not long ago. I was surprised that I hadnt heard of it before... but that is the book ... I allmost want to say dennis smith had somthing to do with that book as well ... great book .. real nice hard to find collectors piece.

Leave a comment:

• ftfdverbenec770
    replied
    firehouse was a great read. took it with me on an airplane ride and couldnt put it down.

Leave a comment:

• ma17461
    replied
    It was a hard cover book, but from what i remember it was all about E33 L9. I believe both of the rigs on the cover were macks, maybe 80's/ early 90's. None of the books mentioned are the one im looking for, thank you anyways guys. Any other ideas to what it could be? Knightnpbiarmor i could probably draw a picture of the book including every little detail on the front picture, i just cant remember the damn name and its killing me!!!
    Last edited by ma17461; 01-02-2007, 05:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mky915
    replied
    ma17461

Leave a comment:

• len1582
    replied
    Was it a large picture book,like "First Due", or a hard cover with a story or stories?

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X