FDNY Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FDNY Book

Hey guys i have a question on a book i read many years ago. For some reason i cannot remember the name of the book, all i remember about it is that it featured fdny E33 L9 coming out of their station and the picture was in black and white. Anybody that knows the book im talking about, could you help me with the name please? Also any recommendations on other good fire books would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Report from engine company 82

This is a good book, not sure about the one you write of?

Comment

I think you mean this one?

(and it's E40/L35)
      Last edited by SAFD46Truck; 02-04-2007, 02:58 AM.

Comment

'Firehouse' is an awesome read.

clipse
        sigpic

Comment

Make sure the kleenix are handy.
          September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
          IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
          Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

Although I agree wholeheartedly about "Firehouse" being a great book, it is not the one the original poster is looking for...I know the one they're talking about, have a picture of the cover in my mind, but unfortunately due to CRS Disease ( Can't Remember S*** for you non-medical types, LOL ) I too can't recall the title. Seems like it was published in the 70's or 80's though...

Comment

Was it a large picture book,like "First Due", or a hard cover with a story or stories?

Comment

ma17461

The Brave: A Story of New York City Firefighters by George Pickett

Comment

It was a hard cover book, but from what i remember it was all about E33 L9. I believe both of the rigs on the cover were macks, maybe 80's/ early 90's. None of the books mentioned are the one im looking for, thank you anyways guys. Any other ideas to what it could be? Knightnpbiarmor i could probably draw a picture of the book including every little detail on the front picture, i just cant remember the damn name and its killing me!!!
                  Last edited by ma17461; 01-02-2007, 05:22 PM.

Comment

firehouse was a great read. took it with me on an airplane ride and couldnt put it down.
                    Your a daisy if you do.

Comment

The book your thinking of is an old book also called firehouse..[ not the halberstiene book ] black and white photos... I saw it for the first time at the boston fire museum not long ago. I was surprised that I hadnt heard of it before... but that is the book ... I allmost want to say dennis smith had somthing to do with that book as well ... great book .. real nice hard to find collectors piece.

Comment

Originally posted by mky915 View Post
                        ma17461

The Brave: A Story of New York City Firefighters by George Pickett
                        That is correct.
                        Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Comment

The book that is about 33 & 9 is Firehouse by Bernard Wolf published in 1983.

NY Times review:

Published: November 13, 1983
                          FIREHOUSE. By Bernard Wolf. Illustrated with photographs by the author. (Morrow, $9.50. Ages 10 to 14.) Mr. Wolf presents an unglamorized account of Engine Company 33 and Ladder Company 9 on Manhattan's Lower East Side. The heroism and the hard work familiar in books about firemen are here; so are arson and encounters with hostile street crowds. There are also dinner at the station and off-duty softball. The text is fine; the photographs--harsh available light in the classic photojournalistic tradition--are special.

FTM-PTB
                          Last edited by FFFRED; 01-02-2007, 10:13 PM.

Comment

I found this review on http://www.amazon.com when checking out The Brave by George Pickett:

During the years that George Pickett so vividly describes in The
                            Brave, I worked in a neighboring fire company in the "west village." On many shifts, I worked in the Great Jones Street Firehouse that was the quarters of Engine 33 and Ladder 9. I knew most of the men who are mentioned in this action packed story. George Pickett's accounts of what went on in the firehouse, the detailed description of the firehouse and the unrelenting fire activity of the "lower eastside" is so real, that I felt as if I was working another tour there as I read The Brave. Pickett's writing style is superb as he takes the reader
                            from a harrowing fire then back to the mundane moments in the firehouse. He skillfully weaves the lives of the residents of the east village into this fast paced story that speaks of a changing society, changing fire service and a changing America. This book is worthy of becoming a movie.

mky915 and nyckftbl seem to be right, this must be the book that you are looking for. But then again after reading FFFred's post I am having my doubts. Either way I will be ordering a copy. It seems like a good book.
                            Last edited by IronsMan53; 01-02-2007, 10:10 PM.
                            I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
                            "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
                            -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Comment

Throthestick and FFFRED thats it thats the book, i thought it was something along those lines but didnt think it was just called "firehouse" I appreciate all the replies fellas, and i'll also be checkin out "the brave" by George Pickett, looks pretty good. Thanks again!

Matt

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X