??Engine's as RIT?? ??RIGHT or WRONG??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoshWebb View Post
    Doesnt happen here, we have a job pre-planed depending on where your assigned Truck or Engine.
    So you don't improvise, adapt, or overcome. When the crap hits the fan you may depend on a truckie to take the tip when you are heading out, just like you may need to take the axe when he needs out. If this is the opinion of your department thn they need to have a better plan to use ALL the resources they have.
    J
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Comment

ummmmm yea,

Welcome to volly land where RIT will usually be an engine, or occasionaly a rescue. The trucks are used for "truck" work, or master streams. second trucks are a rarity. third are for when the fan gets brown and smelly, or the town is undergoing a major renewal. and you also hope that the ones that show up have a clue what they are doing.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by THTMAN View Post
        What's the experience level on some Engines vs. Trucks? Who would you rather have coming for you - A 10-15 year Engine FF or a 2 year Truck FF?

A young probie upon checking into his firehouse stared intently at the ladder in the bay, dreaming heroic dreams. A senior man than slapped him on his back to break his daze and asked "What you doing kid?".

Oh, just thinking of all the rescues I can make once I get on that truck. I hope it is real soon.

"Kid, you see this?", as the senior man points at the lowly engine. "Learn THIS before you worry about that."
        Co 11
        Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Comment

SPFDRum - It appears that you think you're the resident expert on R.I.T.. I was simply trying to put a different perspective on what could happen. To tell me get to come back when I "get to your level" is simply arrogant, but then again replying to that comment is going to your level. I ask you, have you ever been in involved in a "Down FF" situation? I unfortunately have been involved in multiple incidents and unfortunately at some of them (even though the efforts of all FF's involved were proper & extraordinary) the members did not survive. I take R.I.T. training & operations very serious and am well trained regardless of your "assumption"! - Stay Safe!!!
          Last edited by THTMAN; 01-04-2007, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Not an expert on your proceedures, but you made a bunch of assumptions on ours. Especially the 2 year truckie comment, no arrogance there, eh? You want your RIT team to drag in a handline, that's fine, but don't assume everybody else does.
            As far as an expert, I had better be in my system, it's one of the tasks I may be asked to perform on the fireground as a dedicated RIT company.
            As far as being involved in "multiple incidents", maybe you should look at your tactics...
            My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
            "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
            George Mason
            Co-author of the Second Amendment
            during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
            Elevator Rescue Information

Comment

Originally posted by THTMAN View Post
              I unfortunately have been involved in multiple incidents and unfortunately at some of them (even though the efforts of all FF's involved were proper & extraordinary) the members did not survive. I take R.I.T. training & operations very serious and am well trained regardless of your "assumption"! - Stay Safe!!!
              Which "incidents" were these that firefighters are dieing in the line of duty? Surely we'll be able to look them up...
              Originally posted by ThNozzleMan
              Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
              FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Comment

yeah yeah

Originally posted by johnny46 View Post
                This hasn't been a problem for me. Most of the chiefs get somewhere close but out of the way.
                come on guys ok, there not that far just a lil joke....bustin my balls here

Comment

cold guy

Originally posted by mcfd45 View Post
                  So you don't improvise, adapt, or overcome. When the crap hits the fan you may depend on a truckie to take the tip when you are heading out, just like you may need to take the axe when he needs out. If this is the opinion of your department thn they need to have a better plan to use ALL the resources they have.
                  J
                  Yeah it may happen but if me or one of my guys are headin out there is a reason, and its not due to resources

Comment

RES343CUE - No problem 6/5/98 & 12/18/98 are just two of the multiple fatals. It will be very easy to find these and determine where I am from. SPFDRum - I DON'T advocate dragging a hoseline in with the team, I simply mean is that in a specific situation a hoseline may be the best way to protect them. I'll take all of this as a misunderstanding on both of us and move on. Have a nice day.
                    Last edited by THTMAN; 01-04-2007, 09:32 PM.

Comment

ha ha

Originally posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
                      A young probie upon checking into his firehouse stared intently at the ladder in the bay, dreaming heroic dreams. A senior man than slapped him on his back to break his daze and asked "What you doing kid?".

Oh, just thinking of all the rescues I can make once I get on that truck. I hope it is real soon.

"Kid, you see this?", as the senior man points at the lowly engine. "Learn THIS before you worry about that."
                      i like that, and ya know thats how it is where im at...

Comment

And...............

Our R.I.T. is usually the Heavy Rescue Company, or, if one is not on the Box, one of the Three Truck companies. One thing that the R.I.T. Officer does is make a trip around the building to size up any potential problems.
                        Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                        In memory of
                        Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                        Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Rit

In our combo house, we are all crosstrained on the Engine and Truck. Engine and Truck both carry a RIT bag with spare scba etc. I dont believe that everyone that rides (career included) the apparatus is 100% up to the task should it arise, but they have all gone through some form of RIT training.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshWebb View Post
                            Yeah it may happen but if me or one of my guys are headin out there is a reason, and its not due to resources
                            Yes you need to utilize all the resources to your advantage. If this means you train everyone on RIT then you are doing a good job training. If you only train half your firefighters on RIT then you are doing poorly. Remmber 2 things.
                            1:Truckies are firefighters too.
                            2: All people are resources (personel resources).
                            J
                            It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Comment

In our Dept. (29 Stations, which include 29 engines, 9 trucks, and 1 Squad)we are all trained in RIT procedures and drill bureau wide annually on RIT and air management. Rescue air supplies are in a designated and marked compartment on all trucks and also in the BC rig, everyone in the dept "should" be able to quickly locate one when their crew is assigned RIT. Our O.G.'s state that RIT will be assigned to A company on the first alarm and on any working fire we call for a second RIT company. The RIT team will consist of at least 4 members. Experience from drilling and reviewing incidents Country wide we know that a FF rescue will involve much more than just a 4 person RIT team. If a RIT team is activated for FF rescue it is an automatic Greater alarm activation by command. Our Dept has a couple BC's that as they moved through the ranks have been very proactive in developing RIT procedures and policies and spend a lot of time teaching other Dept's these Techniques.

Our Department has gotten very young in the past 5 years, we have truck companies that the three firefighters each only have 6 years or less. Officer usually has more time but as far as fireground experience we have a lot of young FF's that haven't seen a huge amount of fire let alone had to deal with a situation with one of our one in trouble. Hopefully it stays that way in respect to the LODD. Our dept has had some close calls but no LODD in the past about 30 years if I remember correctly.

My opinion is that any piece of apparatus can be the RIT team as long as the members are properly trained. Experience is a plus but not always a luxury.
                              www.portlandfirefighters.org
                              Portland Fire Pictures/Dick Harris

http://www.finsnbeasts.com

Comment

I second that emotion, we also carry adapters in our RIT bags so
                                we can RIT surrounding departments.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X