SCHOOL pt or ft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCHOOL pt or ft?

Hey guys, I'm looking at doing fire academy this year. However, I am moving 30 mins away from the local academy and wont be able to go full time without spending a lot on gas. I am looking for some input.
    Is there a difference in the training/quality etc... between a day fire acad which is 4 months long with EMT-B or night which is 8-9 months long with EMT-B? Do you guys have any experiences good or bad on these or friends with stories?
    Would you recommend that I just bite the bullet and take the day time academy?
    Thanks and stay safe,
    Tim

30 mins is nothing to drive. Most people do that everyday of their entire careers! Go for the shorter period of time if you can, get it out of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
      30 mins is nothing to drive. Most people do that everyday of their entire careers! Go for the shorter period of time if you can, get it out of the way.
      Ditto!!!!!
      Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
      IAFF Local 2339
      K of C 4th Degree
      "LEATHER FOREVER"
      Member I.A.C.O.J.
      http://www.tfdfire.com/
      "Fir na tine"

Comment

Pancho, the decision is up to you. You need to take this into consideration, if you're good at craming and taking tests or what not, go with the 4 months.If you're not go to the 8-9 month. I'd say 4 months would be good as the information would be fresh in your mind, as the 8-9 months would be drug out and probably be harder to remember some stuff. Just remember do what works for you as this and all the others are just our opinions.GOOD LUCK!!

Comment

Yea, I'm almost finished with my associates so I'm pretty good at studying etc... I was thinking that the 8 months might be harder to remember stuff also. I think I'll enlist for the 4 month this spring semester if there's still a slot. If not I'll just have to wait until next Fall.
          Thanks for the input!
          Stay safe,
          Tim

Comment

I don't really understand what your sayin. You still have to go to the acadamy at night, and that class is 8-9 months. So won't you be spending even more on gas by doing that?

Comment

Ok heres the deal... The fire academy offers FF 1/2 hazmat cpat all that good stuff and EMT-B. The day academy is mwf = FF t/h = EMT 8 am - 5 pm for 4 months. The night academy is T/H 6-10 and every other Saturday.. not too sure about the more specific info on the night class but am trying to look into it.

Comment

Ok heres the deal... The fire academy offers FF 1/2 hazmat cpat all that good stuff and EMT-B. The day academy is mwf = FF t/h = EMT 8 am - 5 pm for 4 months. The night academy is T/H 6-10 and every other Saturday for 8-9.. not too sure about the more specific info on the night class but am trying to look into it.
                Not sure which one I would spend more on gas in the long run... haven't looked at that yet.
                Doing a quick calculation the day class seems to spend less on gas in the long run... unless my numbers are wrong.

Comment

Wow, I didnt even think of that aspect! I was just thinking of the 30 min drive!

Comment

You won’t get any sympathy here. I could give you my “walked uphill to school in snow both ways” story but it wouldn’t do any good. It’s beside the point; it’s all how bad you want it!

the bottom line - make it work, or give up.

Comment

Yea, I really want to do it and I don't want to wait till this fall.. I'll see what I can do for this spring. Thanks!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X