Dont This Beat All?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dont This Beat All?

I suspect Chief Woods has an "insider" on this one... but may be required to keep "mom" about it..

Fire Station: County Acting Like Scrooge
    Officials To Take Fire Department's Banquet Hall

POSTED: 6:32 pm EST December 22, 2006
    UPDATED: 7:28 pm EST December 22, 2006

PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY, Md. -- Prince George's County officials have put the Landover Hills volunteer fire station on notice -- pack your bags and be out by the New Year.

Officials said that on Jan. 1, the county will be taking over the fire department's banquet hall to make way for a gym.

Firefighters said they are concerned that the county is taking away its chief source of fundraising for the station.

The station raises about $10,000 a year by holding fundraisers and renting out the hall, firefighters said. The money is used to buy equipment and other necessary items for the operation of the volunteer fire station.

Among those who use the center are two churches; Verizon, for phone book distribution; Ladies' Auxiliary; and the Boys and Girls Club.
    Copyright 2006 by nbc4.com.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

I just can't stop this......
    Attached Files
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

raise some $$$

I tried, don't know if it worked...

Comment

So, I am assuming (yup, that causes trouble) that the County owns the room and lets the fire company use it to fundraise? Sucks for the company, but that's how it goes.

Then again, if the County doesn't own it, tell them to **** off.
        "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
          So, I am assuming (yup, that causes trouble) that the County owns the room and lets the fire company use it to fundraise? Sucks for the company, but that's how it goes.

Then again, if the County doesn't own it, tell them to **** off.
          Ya might be one o' those Make an *** (a) U (n) MMe situations. And as usual, we dont have the "rest of the story". {Thanks Harvey.}
          If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

Yeah I heard about this and even though I do not run with that particular group of volunteers to me it seems as if Prince George's County is screwing the volunteers there. Course they've been screwing with us for years, pulling all kind of BS.

Comment

According to the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation, 6801 Webster St., Landover Hills, MD (Fire Station 30) is owned by:
              PRINCE GEORGES COUNTY
              RIGHT OF WAY SECTION
              ROOM 3020 C A B
              UPPER MARLBORO MD 20772.

Comment

If that is the case, it's County owned, then sucks to be them.

Gotta figure out another way to raise money. It sucks but they got no choice.
                Jason Knecht
                Firefighter/EMT
                Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

Well the county may own the building but it does not necessarily mean that the volunteers are kicked out. I hope that somewhere there is an agreement that specifically lays out what the county and volunteers can and can not do to the building.

Comment

Originally posted by Leeland View Post
                    Well the county may own the building but it does not necessarily mean that the volunteers are kicked out. I hope that somewhere there is an agreement that specifically lays out what the county and volunteers can and can not do to the building.
                    That would pre-suppose an equitable solution..... This is "Guv'ment" we're talking about, afterall.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X