Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• randsc
    replied
    I am prepared to stipulate that fire apparatus should yield to trains. Also aircraft. And container ships.

But not civilian automobiles. And not on a green light.

Leave a comment:

• fireman4949
    replied
    I think the logical solution to the problem of trains vs. apparatus (or any other road vehicles) is to simply put GREEN lights on all RR warning devices! Then EVERYONE would know to stop.

Kevin

Leave a comment:

• FyredUp
    replied
    Originally posted by jasper45 View Post
    No, what is plain wrong is you sitting up on high, once again, pointing fingers while an investigation is still under way. However, that is exactly what we have come to expect from you now, isn‘t it.
    We have guys like you in my department, who like to point fingers, who like to find blame with rig drivers no matter what. Is the driver wrong here? I don’t know, I don’t believe anything other than speculation has been given so far. Once again, I’ll wait before I start ripping him.

Drivers are held responsible here, as well, when they’re found to be in the wrong. Maybe, if you ever drove an emergency vehicle in a town that has more than 3 stop lights, you might understand that some accidents are unavoidable, on the part of the apparatus driver. Stuff happens. Sometimes people hit your rig no matter what you do, or how many green lights you stop at.

We have very good drivers here, we have a great training program in place when drivers are promoted, and we still have accidents. Very few of them are found to have the rig driver at fault.

Quit going out of your way to find these guys at fault. IF they are at fault the investigation will reveal that. Has this accident investigation been concluded yet?

The key words are UNDER INVESTIGATION.
    Testify Brother Jasper....TESTIFY!!

FyredUp

Leave a comment:

• mcfd45
    replied
    Just a quick question, why did tey say the train had a green light when it went through the intersection? Do trains in LA have lights to obey? How long is the yellow?
    J

Leave a comment:

• ChiefDog
    replied
    Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Maybe a modified version of Gordon Graham's "Law of lugnuts" applies here.According to Gordon(and I support this)the law of lugnuts says,in a collision,the vehicle with the most lugnuts wins.In this case it would be the law of GVW.Whichever vehicle has the highest GVW (train) wins.The secondary message as taught to us as wee ones is:NEVER mess with a train.Like Gonz says,we weren't there and the incident is still under investigation.I think it CAN be safely said however,that the law of lugnuts applies here. T.C.
    You beat me to it! When I saw the thread I thought of the Gordon Graham video I saw at the State Fire Warden meeting I attended with our warden last spring.

It is ironic that something so simple works so well.
    (More lugnuts = winner of collision.)

Leave a comment:

• MalahatTwo7
    replied
    Originally posted by dday05 View Post
    The important thing as of now is that all the firefighters are OK as well as the passengers.
    AMEN to that one Brother!

Leave a comment:

• dday05
    replied
    The important thing as of now is that all the firefighters are OK as well as the passengers.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Maybe a modified version of Gordon Graham's "Law of lugnuts" applies here.According to Gordon(and I support this)the law of lugnuts says,in a collision,the vehicle with the most lugnuts wins.In this case it would be the law of GVW.Whichever vehicle has the highest GVW (train) wins.The secondary message as taught to us as wee ones is:NEVER mess with a train.Like Gonz says,we weren't there and the incident is still under investigation.I think it CAN be safely said however,that the law of lugnuts applies here. T.C.

Leave a comment:

• MarcusKspn
    replied
    Maybe if we put Green Lights on all the trucks, all other vehicles/trains will stop for us.

Leave a comment:

• the1141man
    replied
    Has the investigation been concluded?

Then we shoudl refrain from commenting until the questions have been answered.
    *snaps to attention* Aye, aye, Chief!

Can we at least drop a few more "stopping at green" jokes on LA?

Leave a comment:

• CaptainGonzo
    replied
    Questions:

Were any of us there?
    Does the railraod crossing has gates/lights?
    Were they functioning at the time?
    Was there clear line of sight of both sides of the tracks from the roadway?

Has the investigation been concluded?

Then we should refrain from commenting until the questions have been answered.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 12-27-2006, 04:37 PM. Reason: spelling error

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    and not stopping at tracks, even if the warning lights aren't flashing is a little over the top
    It is not our policy to stop at all track crossings, unless the railroad warning lights are on and the gates are either down or going down.

Trains should have the right of way. They are very hard to stop and damn near impossible to turn.

An accident involving a fire truck and a train occurred. Check your policies, know your procedures, review your driving habits. End of discussion.

Leave a comment:

• the1141man
    replied
    Originally posted by Nine3Probie View Post
    According to you, civilian motorists miss the large fire apparatus with lights AND sirens on because of their tunnel vision...and it's still the chauffer's fault.

Your logic...if anyone can call it that...is also "just rediculous."
    Not really, it's just a bastardization of the old "The Customer is Always Right" saying... only in our case it's: "The Civilian is Always Right". The unspoken counterpoint there being "The Engineer is Always Wrong"...

Leave a comment:

• Nine3Probie
    replied
    Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    we miss a 60 ton locomtive and flashing red lights is just plain wrong, but to me, that tunnek vision just rediculious.
    According to you, civilian motorists miss the large fire apparatus with lights AND sirens on because of their tunnel vision...and it's still the chauffer's fault.

Your logic...if anyone can call it that...is also "just rediculous."

Leave a comment:

• MalahatTwo7
    replied
    Originally posted by Leeland View Post
    Well from what I remember from my drivers training, if a train is coming, we wait. This comes from a ladder truck that tried to beat a train to a crossing, the truck lost and it cost the lives of at least two volunteer fire fighters.
    (sarcasm light is ON). Now thats a funny thing (sarcasm light is Off). I always thought (and was taught) that we stop at ALL railway crossings, whether they are controlled by barriers and lights or not, at ALL TIMES. The places I've worked, all fire dept vehicles are expected to follow the same rules as for school buses, and most fuel tanker trucks. You stop then go. As LAFire says, how do You as the Officer (?) fail to notice a train in motion? Especially when you have the red light.

As for the train operator not hearing the sirens. Considering the amount of noise that most trains make, I'm not sure she would have heard it until it was in her face anyhow. But thats just MHO. And no, my comments are not about putting a brother out to hang - thats not my style, but once again, that funky phrase that so many here seem to not want to hear comes to my mind:

".... the Operator of Emergency Apparatus must use all due regard for safety and rules of the road, while the vehicle is in motion... at all times...." BLA BLA BLA BLA.....

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X