Trains and Firetrucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dday05 View Post
    The important thing as of now is that all the firefighters are OK as well as the passengers.
    AMEN to that one Brother!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
      Maybe a modified version of Gordon Graham's "Law of lugnuts" applies here.According to Gordon(and I support this)the law of lugnuts says,in a collision,the vehicle with the most lugnuts wins.In this case it would be the law of GVW.Whichever vehicle has the highest GVW (train) wins.The secondary message as taught to us as wee ones is:NEVER mess with a train.Like Gonz says,we weren't there and the incident is still under investigation.I think it CAN be safely said however,that the law of lugnuts applies here. T.C.
      You beat me to it! When I saw the thread I thought of the Gordon Graham video I saw at the State Fire Warden meeting I attended with our warden last spring.

It is ironic that something so simple works so well.
      (More lugnuts = winner of collision.)

Comment

Just a quick question, why did tey say the train had a green light when it went through the intersection? Do trains in LA have lights to obey? How long is the yellow?
        J
        It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Comment

Originally posted by jasper45 View Post
          No, what is plain wrong is you sitting up on high, once again, pointing fingers while an investigation is still under way. However, that is exactly what we have come to expect from you now, isn‘t it.
          We have guys like you in my department, who like to point fingers, who like to find blame with rig drivers no matter what. Is the driver wrong here? I don’t know, I don’t believe anything other than speculation has been given so far. Once again, I’ll wait before I start ripping him.

Drivers are held responsible here, as well, when they’re found to be in the wrong. Maybe, if you ever drove an emergency vehicle in a town that has more than 3 stop lights, you might understand that some accidents are unavoidable, on the part of the apparatus driver. Stuff happens. Sometimes people hit your rig no matter what you do, or how many green lights you stop at.

We have very good drivers here, we have a great training program in place when drivers are promoted, and we still have accidents. Very few of them are found to have the rig driver at fault.

Quit going out of your way to find these guys at fault. IF they are at fault the investigation will reveal that. Has this accident investigation been concluded yet?

The key words are UNDER INVESTIGATION.
          Testify Brother Jasper....TESTIFY!!

FyredUp
          Crazy, but that's how it goes
          Millions of people living as foes
          Maybe it's not too late
          To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

I think the logical solution to the problem of trains vs. apparatus (or any other road vehicles) is to simply put GREEN lights on all RR warning devices! Then EVERYONE would know to stop.

Kevin
            Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
            IAFF Local 2339
            K of C 4th Degree
            "LEATHER FOREVER"
            Member I.A.C.O.J.
            http://www.tfdfire.com/
            "Fir na tine"

Comment

I am prepared to stipulate that fire apparatus should yield to trains. Also aircraft. And container ships.

But not civilian automobiles. And not on a green light.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfd45 View Post
                Just a quick question, why did tey say the train had a green light when it went through the intersection? Do trains in LA have lights to obey? How long is the yellow?
                J

Funny you should ask. Probably. Check the right side of the page.
                http://www.discoverlivesteam.com/sig...in_signals.htm
                I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Comment

Here is a link to a bunch of train versus truck collisions-train wins every time.
                  http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=train+truck
                  -------------------
                  "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
                  -----------------------------------------------
                  Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Comment

laFIREeducator approved fire apparatus

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

i also took the liberty of getting rid of all emergency lighting except clear lights since we give right of way to everyone
                    Last edited by Steeda83; 12-29-2006, 01:49 PM.

Comment

I like that one^^^^^ Props to you!!!!!!

Call me an idiot. However, IMO natural law wins out over man's law. I myself would respect a freight train's path of travel. Stop at all railroad crossings and look to see if something is coming.
                      I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Comment

Originally posted by FDAIC485 View Post
                        I like that one^^^^^ Props to you!!!!!!

Call me an idiot. However, IMO natural law wins out over man's law. I myself would respect a freight train's path of travel. Stop at all railroad crossings and look to see if something is coming.

i agree, but like others have said, we dont know all the facts

and this picture was just to poke fun of all the rediculous remarks that have been made by a certain poster

Comment

I think it is safe to say that we should automatically stop every 500 yards to keep from anything ever happening ...
                          Josh Ball
                          FF/EMT - Zoneton Fire Protection District
                          PSO II - Louisville International Airport
                          Deputy - Bullitt County Sheriff's Office

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
                            I guess the train should have yielded.
                            The more I read this line the more it irks me.

We're in such a rush that we miss a train? C'mon guys ... even the most hardcore go get em' boys have to admit that not seeing a train and not stopping at tracks, even if the warning lights aren't flashing is a little over the top. In this case the article seems to indicate that the apapratus may have had a red light, which makes the situation even worse. And it appears that the apparatus may have voliated department policy about stopping, according to a fire department official.
                            You strike me as a pompus jerk who thinks everything he does is correct - the best way. .

I find it hard to believe even in your half a horse town you are 100% perfect driving your POV/Apparatus - after all your are only human.

One day your going to find your not as perfect as you think.

How much time is it going to take to stop at tracks and check? Really ...
                            Your an arrogance is amazing.
                            Warm Regards,
                            Shawn Stoner
                            EMT-B

Comment

oops...double post
                              Last edited by SSTONER; 12-29-2006, 05:14 AM.
                              Warm Regards,
                              Shawn Stoner
                              EMT-B

Comment

Ack....3 times!
                                Warm Regards,
                                Shawn Stoner
                                EMT-B

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250