The NFPA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NFPA

Reading the many posts regaurding the NFPA and their recommendations, especially the new thread on traffic directors. I wonder if the NFPA has evolved, or is evolving, into a entity much like the FAA- a government agency to contol and regulate the very same industry it promotes.
    Has the NFPA lost sight and promoting industry over safety?
    82.98%
    Is the NFPA staying the course and keeping firefighter safety #1?
    17.02%
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

A fire service professional on an NFPA committee versus a manufacturers representative. Who do you think has the highest concern of the firefighter affected by the standard?

I do not mean that the manufacturers go out to harm firefighters, but their bottom line is the main concern.

Suppose I were a manufacturer and developed a product the allowed drivers to see fire fighters in trunout gear easier. The product reduces mobility of the firefighter and adds $300 to the cost of a set of turnouts. Do you think I would like to get one of my reps on a NFPA committee for PPE to make my product a requirement for NFPA compliance? Its all about safety you know.
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 12-27-2006, 05:39 AM.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Comment

Well..........

Having been around back when the NFPA did not write hardly any standards that applied to the Fire Departments themselves, I probably have a bit of a different view. I am extremely unhappy with the way the NFPA went off from their earlier work with Building, Electrical, and Life Safety Code things and got into the area of Firefighting. Things like the National Electrical code were very important to Fire Prevention efforts, and the NFPA should have kept their interests in that area. Things in recent years such as 1500, 1710, and others are, to me, deeply troubling. I'm very well trained in this line of work, in fact, I'm damn good at what I do, partly because I care about the safety of others at all times. But caring about, and working safely, isn't enough for the NFPA, they want us to be tied up with miles of red tape that keep us from doing our jobs properly. The light thread is a good example of this.
      Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
      In memory of
      Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
      Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

despite only being in the service for 3 years i can easily spot the trend the nfpa is following. Some of the more recent standards have become absurd and just add on more things we have to worry about/pay for in money or ease of use. I think that the nfpa should back off and stick to creating standards that will have a more profound effect. It seems that for every 5 LODD's we get 1 new nfpa standard.
        FireFighter/EMT
        Rescue 1

IACOJ
        FTM-PTB

Comment

Originally posted by res1cueffd View Post
          It seems that for every 5 LODD's we get 1 new nfpa standard.

I'm not going to speak out in support for or denounce the NFPA. Like all things, the idea seems like it was a good one in the beginning. However, in light of res2cueffd comment, a warning lable that I see so often on things that to me are mundane warnings until I realize that in spite of the OBVIOUS danger, someone, at some time or another has said "Hey Cletus. Hold mah beer and watch this..." Not saying that the fire service does this - but in my view, the warnings are for the learning impaired.

This product contains butane. Highly flammable. Explosive hazard. Keep away from heat or open flame.
          Well DUH. Of course it contains butane, its for refilling lighters and such. And of course its highly flammable and potentially explosive - thats what liquid fuels do!
          If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

It's a trade association for manufacturers

Allowing fire protection equipment manufacturers to determine when you must replace your equipment is like allowing Ford and Chevy to determine when you must replace your car.

Comment

Not
              For
              Practical
              Applications
              "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
                Not
                For
                Practical
                Applications
                LOL...Ain't that the truth! The biggest problem I see with NFPA and one I believe is echoed by others is that manufacturers are allowed to vote on standards. This is the classic fox guarding the henhouse scenario. Manufuacturers provide valuble information on what is and what is not feasible, whether its from an engineering standpoint or financial standpoint. And that should be the limit of their input.

Comment

Originally posted by jlcooke3 View Post
                  Manufuacturers provide valuble information on what is and what is not feasible, whether its from an engineering standpoint or financial standpoint. And that should be the limit of their input.
                  It's not quite that simple. I was on a committee that investigated making certain tools intrinsically safe. The fire service members asked for it; the manufacturers said it could be done. Anything can be done...it is all a matter of cost. But what good does it do to say we want an IS tool, if it is going to cost 4 times more or weigh 4 times more? Has the fire service "won" if they do that?

I agree that the industry members should be supportive of the fire service members; however sometimes, the fire service doesn't know what they want, or that what they want is potentially a problem.
                  My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Comment

Well...as an NFPA member in good standing Ill just say this. I think the NFPA gets a bit of a bad rap in certain situations, and perhaps industry in general has a bit too much influence in regards to certain items. But where the NFPA does do a good job keeping industry at bay is the building codes. If industry had things thier way, you wouldnt see alot of the codes that we have now on building construction, sprinkler systems etc.

I understand some of us in the fire service not being in favor of some of the newer apparatus and PPE standards (among others). I dont agree with all of them either. All I can say is get involved. Just like when people who dont vote bitch about what congress is doing.

Smell what Im stepping in?
                    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
                    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
                    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse