Help on preparing for the CPAT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on preparing for the CPAT?

I'm in the middle of the application process for about 5 deparments right now, and I'm sure I will be asked to test for at least one of them. I'm looking for some advice on a diet/exercise program to prepare me for the CPAT.

I'm 5'6, 142 lbs, can run a mile in 8:30 on a good day, average about 10 min. though. I want to get down to 125 lbs. before I have to go test. Anyone have any cardio/strength training programs they've used to success? I have about 3 months to prepare.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/fire/cpathome.htm

Click on the CPAT prep guide. Has a strength and cardio plan from the IAFF.
    FireFighter/EMT
    Rescue 1

IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

Comment

thanks alot that was exactly what i was looking for in an exercise program, i tend to like to do stuff "by the books"...

anyone have any advice on meal plans though? i try to eat healthy, i just get burnt out after a week or so from lack of variety, and go back to my "junk"

Comment

Try somebody who knows better, but "good" meals don't have to be dull. Cut the fat off meat, try tuna (I love tuna) fresh vegetables and fruits.

Maybe buy a cookbook and another one about nutrition.
        I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Comment

therein lies my problem.. im not big on fresh fruit and veggies...

i've tried cutting out the soda and "junk" in general to some success- i've lost about 9 lbs. in the past couple months, but i think it was the exercise that did most of the work. i was walking on a treadmill 30 min. a day before classes let out for the end of semester/christmas break... gotten kinda lazy since then

Comment

The more fresh fruit and veggies you eat the better your body will feel. The key to losing weight and gaining muscle is made in the kitchen! Look at the eating habits of fat overweight people, very little fruit and veggies in their daily diet.

If you are not big on fruits and veggies, what do you eat then?
            Give me some examples.......

Drink lots of water, about 2 liters total , thru the day and at all meals.

Breakfast: -plain oatmeal, with honey, and maybe a little grounded flaxseed
            or a little whey protein powder.
            -egg white omelette, ( 3-4, with one yolk)
            -piece of fruit like an orange, grapefruit, apple with a little peanut
            butter,

Snack: - (usually 2 hours after breakfast).
            - a handful of nuts like almonds, walnuts, or a trail mix.
            - banana
            - tuna on whole wheat with sprouts, maybe a little lite mayo.

Lunch: - piece of fruit like a peach, orange, handful of grapes.
            - grilled chicken breast with broccoli and carrots or maybe some
            zucchini and squash

Snack: -low fat yogurt or cottage cheese
            - fruit or veggies like celery or carrot sticks.

Dinner: - salad with olive oil and balsmic vinegar as a dressing. ( you can use
            red wine vinegar too)....dark greens are better, add a bright red
            roma tomato, a little red onion, pecans,
            -sweet potato
            - grilled chicken or fish
            -veggies on the side

Eat colorful!!!! Eat your colors!!!!

An iceberg lettuce that has alot of white on it has basically no nutrition value, compare that to a blueberry or pomergranate ( 2 of the highest in antioxidants) are rich in color.

Do not overcook your veggies.

Try to use extra virgin olive oil. If that is too expensive use canola oil or a mix of olive and canola.
            This is good fat, as fat helps transfers your vitamins, and as is good fro the skin and hair.

After your workouts, try to get some good protein and carbs into your body.
            Whey protein shakes are good, they absorb quickly.

good carbs are oatmeal, whole wheat or multi grain.

I am not an expert or a professional, but this is what works for me.

There are plenty of good recipes online and in books, check them out.

Exercise:
            Try to find something sturdy to step on that is less than a foot tall. Do steps for as long as you can at a good pace.
            Lunges and low-crouching walking are good.
            bodyweight squats
            if there are stairs you can run on, use them.

Continue doing your running, perhaps mix up your running with some sprints, jogging, walking, pushups, backwards jog, jumping side to side, etc.

Pull ups and pushups are good. There are so many different ways to do pushups. Do your pushups with your feet elevated or between 3 sturdy chairs.

Dont forget to stretch after your workouts.

As always use common sense and seek a professional. I do not know your health level or anything like that. If your legs are sore, dont work on them that day.

Mental training is important. You got to be tough and confident inside your head. Go for that one more pushup even though your arms are shaking!!!!
            Tell yourself, that you can do it and you are strong and confident. Visualize yourself, your body, and your fitness level in the ideal state you want it in.
            You think weak and fat, you will be weak and fat. Nobody ever wins a game by thinking they are losers.

It takes about 3-4 weeks to form a habit. If you can eat right and exercise on a daily basis for 3-4 weeks you will form a great habit and you will look and feel good!

All of this is based on my experience and other people I know.

Good luck!

Comment

oh yeah, check out the testing and fitness forum

Comment

The stair mill was the most help for me. The stair mill is harder than it looks and 3 min and 20 sec on it at the beginning will kill your legs if they are not ready for it. Most guys including me will tell you that it is the hardest part of the test. If you have access to a gym with the stair mill start using it now!!! And get a weight vest!!!! I purchased one from weightvest.com and it was one of the best purchases I've ever made. I used it to prepare for the CPAT that I took 6 months ago but I still use it in my workout and probably will forever because it's such a good workout. It is expensive ($200). If you have the money I recommend it but if not just make your own. You can use a backpack with bricks, sand, water bottles, ankle weights. I use the weight vest and I put ankle weights on my shoulders and I go on the stair mill at level 6 for as long as I can. You will need to work up. If you can do it for 12 min with the weight vest then you'll have no trouble with the test. You can mix up your workout. 1 day I use the weight vest for 10-12 min at level 6, 1 day I go no weight vest and I do level 10 for 20 min, 1 day I walk a couple of miles with the vest, run bleachers w/o vest, walk bleachers with the vest, jog 3 miles, sprint 1 1/2 miles, do some sprints. Weight lifting and running are important but I personally think but I personally think the best way is to use a weight vest and stay on that stair mill. As far as weight lifting I highly recommend lunges and squats. You're upper body is probably fine, the biggest part of the test is just lower body endurance. 3 months is plenty of time to prepare but you've got to start tomorrow and stick with it. It's a really hard test unless you've prepared well and then it's not bad. Good luck!

Comment

I'm going to throw in my 2 cents here.

Stop preparing for a test to get a job and start preparing for a career that requires you to maintain your fitness. I have seen more than a few guys whip themselves into shape to get in the door and a few years later they can't fit out the door.

Early on, somebody will usually tell them "you're gonna be a big man on this job". This should be taken more seriously than you think.

Comment

Amen. The Lt. is 100% correct about that.. All it takes is taking a day off. That can easily become a year or more and well...

Oh yea and coffee in moderation can help with your metabolism over time. Just match each cup with a cup of water.
                    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by bombera4life View Post
                      therein lies my problem.. im not big on fresh fruit and veggies...

try warm beer and a glass of raw eggs before you run, worked for me

Comment

Originally posted by SubWay1 View Post
                        try warm beer and a glass of raw eggs before you run, worked for me
                        Worked for what? I'm getting queasy just thinking about that...

Comment

Originally posted by E229Lt View Post
                          I'm going to throw in my 2 cents here.

Stop preparing for a test to get a job and start preparing for a career that requires you to maintain your fitness. I have seen more than a few guys whip themselves into shape to get in the door and a few years later they can't fit out the door.

Early on, somebody will usually tell them "you're gonna be a big man on this job". This should be taken more seriously than you think.

i don't intend to just prepare for a test. i need to whip myself in shape for this test but working out is a thing that i do and will always do... i just need to drop some weight and get in better shape fast. my normal workout is running a mile and then walking a lap and running 3, for another 30 min. or so.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X