Leave a comment:

• ChicagoFF
    replied
    Have you tried booze?

Leave a comment:

• ckresmer
    replied
    thanks,

my other hobby is horses but i don't have the money for them, i'm going back to school but classes don't start until jan 17. I'm now putting some effort into finding a way to be involved with horses. I do have several non-physical things I like to do but I get bored with sitting all the time.

Leave a comment:

• KenNFD1219
    replied
    I had a little over 6 weeks of medical leave this past fall. FyredUp is absolutely right-find something to do. I brought work home with me and never got to do it because of all the other activities-and I could not even drive for 5 weeks. I kept busy with two distance learning classes (non-fire service related), caught up on some reading, and had fun with a couple of other hobbies.

The hardest part is finding something you like. Do not be afraid to try something new.
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 12-26-2006, 08:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• FyredUp
    replied
    Seriously, get a hobby. Anything from woodworking to fishing to watching trains or kite flying or whatever, because if this is all you have what are you going to do when you retire? Suppose this medical leave became permanent then what?

I love firefighting but I have a ton of interests outside of firefighting that when I am not on the job or at the volly house keep me occupied. I enjoy woodworking and making anything from cartoon characters out of wood to making furniture. I like to tinker on my cars, fixing what I can. I spend time with my kids. Read, listen to music, go for a ride, go out to eat...anything but sit there.

Honestly one trick pony people tend to be a real pain in the *** when they are laid up or retired because they have nothing else.

FyredUp

Leave a comment:

• ckresmer
    started a topic Sanity? Stress?

Sanity? Stress?

How do you keep your sanity while on medical leave for several months? does anyone else find ems and ff a stress reliever? If so what do you do instead in this situation?

I've been off-duty since June, first for military leave and then medical leave (since sept) and i'm having trouble controlling my stress. Any shread of sanity an emt/ff has is gone. So any ideas would help.

thanks

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X