Education ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Education ?

I am wondering what type of education, if any, does your dept. require before you are qualified to take a promotional exam ( lieutenant., or capt. )?
    My F.D. is making some changes to our promotional system and i'm curious how we compare with others. Thanks.

My current dept (POC) does not require anything. My previous dept (career) has a Fire Chief with a Bach degree and they were talking about instituting a program of having college education to be promoted. They were considering many ideas but one they liked was in conjunction with credit hours. (eg. LT=min of 30 ch, capt = 70 or assoc degree, etc.) I think it shows how much they want to push education, but let's think here.

If you have a dept with 100 FF's and 50% are less than 30 y/o. Most are probably going to have SOME college underneath them. The other 50% might have some, but my guess it is very few. Who are you going to promote?

I feel education is very important for promotions, but I suggest don't just limit it to college. Consider the guy with 20 years on and has been taking classes over the years and has experience. I think you should set Minimum Qualifications and Desired Qualifications. That way your FF's will understand that those with Desired Qualifications may have an advantage. And don't forget to include min # of years for each position. The biggest problem departments have when the brass start to do these programs, is trying to keep morale up for the older vets that may want to further their career, but aren't "qualified".
    The only person who does not screw up, is the person who does not do anything.

Comment

To be promoted, you must pass a written and physical assessment as well as meet the following criteria:

Lieutenant

-Member of the department for at least one year
      -Firefighter II
      -EMT-B
      -Class B License

Captain

-Hold the rank of Lieutenant for at least one year
      -Firefighter II
      -EMT-B
      -Class B License

Comment

Hard yards on the job, minimum time would be around 3 years to make Senior FF, from there another 2 to 3 before even being sneezed at for Occifer.

1 YEAR

Give me a break. I wouldn't follow the puke into the truck, let alone drive out the damn door.

Mind you, we are upside down, so what the heck would we know.

Eh.

Baird, Baird Baird, here Bairdy.
        Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
        Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

I think having a education requirement is stupid. If you finish HS, thats all you need. I know someone who was passed on a promotion having 20 years exp. and being very qualified (FF II, EMT-P, Very active in the dept, Dive Team, and other things) and lost the promotion to a girl who has much less exp, but has a degree in Marine Biology.

Tell me, what does having a degree in Marine Biology prove besides when she was 18 years old she didn't know what she wanted to do with her life so she went to school and chose a degree that never did anything for her.

She'll have the upper hand if we find a choking whale on fire, but besides that, its definatly not needed.
          Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
          IACOJ

Comment

It the dept. I just retired from the only requirement is to have been a driver/engineer for one year, an EMT, pass a written test and then an oral interview.

For years I tried to add that a person must have at least a week of formal training, such as the Nat'l Fire Academy, in Incident Management prior to being allowed to test.

I would also like for the person to be certifed (IFSAC, etc.) as FFI & II and FOI & FOII

For shift commander, I wanted the person to have at least two years of college in either fire science or management type field.

I think the more hoops you have that someoone has to go through works well as a weeding process as you try to get someone who is able to do the job well.
            Last edited by SamuelFire; 12-21-2006, 10:12 AM.

Comment

We have had the written test along with driving and pumping test for lt., and written along with assesment center for capt. for years. Now our admin. is adding educational requirements to the procedure. I don't have a problem with education, it's a good thing. The problem is that they have removed time & grade all together. So now we have quite a few people who would make great officers who, unles they go back to school now, will not have the opportunity to be promoted.I don't really think that is right.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X