Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• needlejockey
    replied
    I think I got a couple of guys at my station that have been around before there was fire, so I'll ask them.

Leave a comment:

• dragonfyre
    replied
    Originally posted by KenNFD1219 View Post

Your first assignemnt as a rookie was to shine the air chamber on the Ahrens Fox.

The fire apparatus ran on one of two fuels; gasoline or hay.
    That's old!!

Leave a comment:

• MalahatTwo7
    replied
    TC, thats why I'm laughing. When joined my first ship, they had converted over to those 200 lb (well ok thats a bit of a stretch LOL) "vari-nozzles" from using the L-V wand nozzles. Only reason why RESTIGOUCHE was refitted with the "new" nozzles is because she was a part of interdiction ops in the Persian Gulf during Desert Storm #1, 1991/92. The fleet has since converted over entirely, but we still use CHEMOX as the main FF breathing apparatus. As some may remember back about 2yrs ago now HMCS CHICOUTIMI, the submarine sailing from England to Canada had an onboard fire, and an officer died. Part of the secondary fires was caused by the CHEMOX canisters. The heat them things create when in use is incredible. Just real happy I dont have to use them anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Malahat,my brother.I didn't just dream this s**t up,these are some of the realities of my career.Welcome to the Dino club,hehe T.c.

Leave a comment:

• MalahatTwo7
    replied
    Your handlight is a Navy battle lantern. Your Scba is a Chemox.

HEY! I resemble those comments. The Navy taught me my first firefighting classes, and those ARE the tools we use - STILL - in the Canadian Navy. Unless you are a "DND - shipboard" firefighter or HAZMAT response team, then you get one o' them new fangled SCBA thingys.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    You know when: Your handlight is a Navy battle lantern. Your Scba is a Chemox. Your aerial is a hand cranked wooden one.Your nozzle is a brass straightbore(no chrome).A rotary gear firepump(or a piston)was the pump of choice.You know what an Evinrude powered Pacific wildfire pump was(and what you needed to take into the woods to make it play)Your main hoseload was a split horseshoe load.1.5 nozzle of choice was a NAP(Navy all purpose).Portable ladders were wood double truss.Sirens had to be cranked.Search lights needed two men just to move them.Oyster stew was the annual banquet.There was ONE Chief.Pompier ladders came STANDARD on every Ladder truck.Alarms were recieved on tapes and gongs from streetboxes.Your rope was Manila,period.Ventilation was done by axe,if you had a saw it usually wouldn't run in the smoke.Meals were cooked on a woodstove.You know what a can of waterpump grease is used for.A "can"(truckies)was just that a pumpcan.Masks were old WW1 canister gasmasks.Your two choices of radios(if you even had 'em)were GE or Motorola.All I can think of for now, T.C.

Leave a comment:

• KenNFD1219
    replied
    Here's a few to get started:

The new lieutenant was born after you joined the FD.

You remember when an engine was called a triple combination pumper.

Rubber coats, rubber boots, and rubber gloves were fire gear, not props in an X-rated movie.

Booster lines ruled.

You remember when those new fangled SCBA's came into the FD.

You put those SCBA's in the box on top of the engine.

Fire hose came in 2 sizes-1 1/2 and 2 1/2, had brass couplings and was made of cotton.

Everybody on the job smoked.

Your first assignemnt as a rookie was to shine the air chamber on the Ahrens Fox.

In rookie school, your class was the one that lit the sun.

The only portable radio (which weighed 10 pounds) was carried by the officer.

The radios in the engines had tubes and had to warm up before you used them.

The fire apparatus ran on one of two fuels; gasoline or hay.
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 12-20-2006, 09:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• XtricateFireEMT
    started a topic You Know You Have Been...

You Know You Have Been...

The most senior person on our department is retiring at the beginning of next month after 30 years of service! We were trying to come up with a list sort of like Letterman's Top Ten for "You Know you have been a firefighter a long time when..." If you have any ideas that would be great!!

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X