No announcement yet.

Consequences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me start by saying I think that NIIMS worked fine before it was changed to the current NIMS. For every call we have gone on for years the ICS system was suppose to be used. We had to learn ICS because its what wildland firefighters are required to use on any fire with federal money. Our State has taught the system as for as long as I have been a firefighter.

Large city fire depts. mainly fights structure fires with a system that is flexible to reflect the size of the event. The names do not change when more equipment or firefighters are added to the call. Side A is still side A. ICS is the same but with an entire new list of names. If you only do structure fires and don’t deal with agencies other than mutual aid departments why would you need to change to a totally new set of terminology?

For us a working structure fire is rare. We are more likely to have a lost elderly person search than a structure fire. The Incident Command System is designed to eliminate the inefficiencies in a call like the ones that are showing up from the Kim family search in Oregon.

Back on topic, the NIMS tests are a joke. The 100 and 200 tests have been rewritten so the questions are better but some still make no sense. If the original group that put the tests together thought that every emergency responder plus all of the politicians and support groups they want to take NIMS would individually set down, read the material, answer the questions and fill in the test on-line with out some “cheating” they are dumber than I think and I think they are really dumb already.

Don’t worry about cheating. If your department is going to ever use ICS the people in charge need to know the terms. The rest can figure it out as you go. Its not rocket science.

Brad

Comment

I really cant believe any of you think that this is some kind of joke.
      I also cannot understand the lack of ethics, the NIMS system is what it is, and to say that defrauding the system on any level, is acceptable: that is a disgrace to the uniform.
      It would not surprise me to discover that any person that would defend cheating on a fire exam / test would be the same type of person picking up the gold watch at the fire scene.

As for the original question (which no one has answered yet) what are the consequences???

Comment

Originally posted by Troublemaker05 View Post
        As for the original question (which no one has answered yet) what are the consequences???
        No one has answered yet for one of the following reasons:

A) No one knows
        B) There aren't any
        C) No one cares either way
        D) All of the above

I would imagine that, if there were consequences, then some mandatory classroom time would be set by either the Feds or your state's training division, and that this "cheating" would be harder to get away with. It appears to me that the Feds do not take it quite so seriously either, or you would have to pay for the materials as well.

If it concerns you that much, perhaps you should bring your concerns to the Chief and see if can explain why...maybe they took the test and she's just doing the keyboarding? Just some random thoughts.
        Last edited by Nine3Probie; 12-20-2006, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Nims is basically the OLD Fire command system with a few more layers of governmental BS added in.Any firefighter worth his/her salt in the nation can work with/in it.It's the "other"players who have a problem with it.For the less experienced, in a nutshell,the IC will be the local guy with the biggest kanakas who dares to step up to the plate and play.The timid need not apply.Does the Gov know how to work under Nims?They might know but they seem to have some issues when it comes time to play.The Saga continues,hehe T.C.

Comment

Not serious

I don't take it seriously. I have 40 years experience in emergency management from riots to enemy missels to terrorists and all the other stuff. NIMS is what happens when desk jockies design something without even consulting the personnel in the field.

Sorry folks, but the fourth floor is still the fourth floor and I don't need a fuel sector, I need fuel in my pumper. When I'm in the EOC for a nuclear power plant, flood or tornado situation, and I need some school buses to move some people here's how it goes: "Joe, I need some school buses to move people from XX to YY. OK, Pete, I'll take care of it." Seems to work.

Stay safe,

Pete
            Pete Sinclair
            Hartford, MI
            IACOJ (Retired Division)

Comment

I also cannot understand the lack of ethics, the NIMS system is what it is, and to say that defrauding the system on any level, is acceptable: that is a disgrace to the uniform.
              It would not surprise me to discover that any person that would defend cheating on a fire exam / test would be the same type of person picking up the gold watch at the fire scene.

You know, I thought I smelled a Trolling Chool around here. Troublemake05 why don;t you go troll at www.iamnotwelllikedatmydepartment.com and see if you can make friends there.
              Jon
              FF/EMT
              Communications Trainer
              IACOJ

Comment

"what are the consequences ? Well somebody from your dept. might read this and want to thump your head.
                ?

Comment

I think it's a joke and would argue about it all night, but -*looking at my gold watch*- it's getting late.
                  Last edited by ChicagoFF; 12-21-2006, 08:24 PM.
                  I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

Originally posted by pete892 View Post
                    When I'm in the EOC for a nuclear power plant, flood or tornado situation, and I need some school buses to move some people here's how it goes: "Joe, I need some school buses to move people from XX to YY. OK, Pete, I'll take care of it."
                    Pete;

That is real common terminology and plain language.

NIMS=Not In My Station
                    -------------------
                    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
                    -----------------------------------------------
                    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Comment

Originally Posted by pete892
                      When I'm in the EOC for a nuclear power plant, flood or tornado situation, and I need some school buses to move some people here's how it goes: "Joe, I need some school buses to move people from XX to YY. OK, Pete, I'll take care of it."
                      No, you're doing it wrong. "You have to ask for X number K through 12 student trasnportation units".

ut then has to go through the NIMS chain of command, which means sending out a police unit and getting the school superintendent to the scenem, who in turn will have to notify the foreman of the bus company, who in turn will have to contact the correct number of drivers to drive the X number of busses.

The next question is "Command, standard sized K through 12 student trasnportation units or the the special short units" ?"

Posted by KenNFD1219...
                      NIMS=Not In My Station
                      That is fracking hilarious!
                      Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 12-21-2006, 09:27 PM.
                      ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                      Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Yeah you're right, NIMS is "on the level" like Professional Wrestling is real.
                        IACOJ Member

Comment

Originally posted by VinnieB View Post
                          Yeah you're right, NIMS is "on the level" like Professional Wrestling is real.
                          Cmon Vinnie. It is real. what is wrong with you!
                          Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Comment

Consequences? NONE.

Whistle blowers like you don't last in the fire service.
                            Originally posted by ThNozzleMan
                            Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
                            FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by nyckftbl View Post
                              Cmon Vinnie. It is real. what is wrong with you!
                              NIMS or professional wrestling?

All I know is when they give you the option to print out the acronyms (like on every page) do it.
                              I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Comment

1-We are an understaffed Volley dept.

2-We all have full time jobs.

3-We can barely find the time to fit in the training, upkeep, bookwork, calls, etc. etc. etc.

4-We cant find new people who can dedicate 50 billion hours just to get certified to fight fires.

5-We ain't got time for no stinkin NIMS!!!

but... We are "all" NIMS 100 and 700 certified.
                                Last edited by CAPPYY; 12-22-2006, 01:17 PM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X