Experience is Relative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience is Relative

So I got hammered by someone who thought I was trying to play the I have more experience than you game.

So I say experience (in the fire department)is somewhat relative to your surroundings. I am sure there are slow companies in NY whose members see less fires or total calls than their fellow firemen. They could be seen as less experienced within the dept.
    A fireman at the south pole who put out the only fire of the decade which was an out of control dumpster and wearing no airpack, may be more experienced than anyone else who has ever worked there.

My other thought is that, unless you personally know someone and everywhere they have worked, you may draw conclusions about someone based on the way they post. This is where I may have gone wrong with a few peole. For that I am sorry. However, when someone comes in here saying they have 20+ years experience and we know they come from Snake [email protected]% fire dept., I have to question their true knowledge on whatever subject may be at hand.

I am wrong?

Experience may be relative but i dont think that it matters WHICH depts you have worked for the name itself means nothing only the companies within the dept you worked for make any real difference when judging experience. But just because someone comes from a vol backwoods dept doesnt mean they dont have experience doing the same thing anyone elses does they just may not do the same things on a regular basis. I think the only real way to judge experience is by the depth of your crust and if the guys in the dept look up to that person as a vet who knows his S#$%. But anyone who has to say they have 20+ years of exp to make a point doesnt have that level of exp. You can tell who has exp by how they post.
    FireFighter/EMT
    Rescue 1

IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

Comment

Anyone can show up every day of a 30 year career, not everyone actually pays attention to what happend yesterday.

I know some 5 year firefighters that I would take any day over certain 20-30 year "vets".

Time in is usually worth something but just as we have those 2 / 20 firefighters, there are also those 20 / 2 firefighters.

Where one works also has an impact but again, I've met some pretty sharp firefighters from slow departments and firefighters at pretty busy departments who I wouldn't trust to wash my hose. Some firefighters really take the time to study the books and take every fire as a learning experience, others can't be bothered to ask why they do what they do, thats just how its done.

So yes, when forming an opinion of an unknown FF time in and the call volume of their department generally will give me an idea of there knowledge, but listening to them for a few minutes will often tell me more.

Comment

Some firefighters have 20+ years of experience, while some have 1 year of experience repeated 20+ times.
        ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
        Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

It's funny you bring this up, because I just got into a "discussion" with a few, on the forums, regarding another subject similar to this.

Many people measure experience in different ways. Training, years in the fire service, education, etc. I am sure there are guys from FDNY with 5 years on the job, that have seen and done more than others with 20+ years. Then again, that can go the other way too, depending on where you are at. But how do you determine the better FF? I believe you do have to know someone and work with them to see what type of person and FF they are. It follows the old saying"...judge a book by its cover...". Someone can paint a beautiful picture of themself (especially on the internet), but that is all it may be. You have to take many factors into account when making a judgement.

That's one thing that make me laugh at many folks on here. People look at how many posts someone has and takes their opinion as credible if they have 3000 posts. But the guy who only has 60 posts hasn't paid his dues and his opinions are less credible. What a bunch of sh*t.

I agree with all of you, you can tell something about someone in the way they post. The thing that cracks me up is the guys that will get on and post something out of the textbook and play it off as thier opinion.

I believe experience is just one factor to be used. Like NonSurfinCaFF said, the only way to make a good judgement is talk to them for awhile. The "experience" may turn into BS real quick.
          The only person who does not screw up, is the person who does not do anything.

Comment

I learnt a lot from my relatives.
            Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
            Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

Huh??...........

Originally posted by res1cueffd View Post
              Experience may be relative but i dont think that it matters WHICH depts you have worked for. I think the only real way to judge experience is by the depth of your crust and if the guys in the dept look up to that person as a vet who knows his S#$%.
              You Rang?.................
              Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
              In memory of
              Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
              Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

When I am as experienced as I can be, please drink a toast at my tomb stone.

Until then, consider me a learner.

Comment

Originally posted by E229Lt View Post

I'm with him...

I like to think the main reason I come here is to learn from a diverse group.

We are lucky enough to have a forum where the FDNY, LFB, and Snake [email protected]% Fire Dept's can get together and swap experience and ideas. Of course you have to realize that what works in London will not automatically work in Snake [email protected]%, and vice versa.

And where exactly is Snake [email protected]% anyway?

But I also take this quote seriously:

Originally posted by Gonzo
                  Some firefighters have 20+ years of experience, while some have 1 year of experience repeated 20+ times.
                  You can do something 100 times without knowing why, and get lucky that it works every time. That does not mean that the next guy will have the same results.

Of course; always consider both the info and the source. Bad info is bad info, regardless of the source.
                  Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Comment

I hope that time is far off, Artie.. far, far off.
                    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
                      I hope that time is far off, Artie.. far, far off.
                      I'll live forever or die trying.

Comment

Keep drinking good scotch and porto and you will die a happy man !
                        IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post
                          Keep drinking good scotch and porto and you will die a happy man !
                          He who laughs, lasts.

Comment

He who laughs, lasts.

You coming over early to set up the bar? I'm in there now cleaning up from last year's party.
                            September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
                            IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
                            Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

H you crack me up..... talk about an ol' crusty.
                              FireFighter/EMT
                              Rescue 1

IACOJ
                              FTM-PTB

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader