Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stop At Green?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Stop At Green?

    How many Departments out there stop at green lights when responding to a fire lights and siren? This was debated in another thread and I wanted to see if anyone did this. Heres our typical response through green -


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UrD7Ngt3Zg
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

  • #2
    Originally posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    How many Departments out there stop at green lights when responding to a fire lights and siren? This was debated in another thread and I wanted to see if anyone did this. Heres our typical response through green -


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UrD7Ngt3Zg
    We do not stop at green lights as a matter of course.

    Looked good to me, and I like ya'll's black on red scheme.
    Last edited by johnny46; 12-15-2006, 05:44 PM.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

    Comment


    • #3
      [QUOTE=ChicagoFF;748680]How many Departments out there stop at green lights when responding to a fire lights and siren? This was debated in another thread and I wanted to see if anyone did this. Heres our typical response through green -


      As Johnny46 stated looks fine to me as well, We do pretty much the same thing. We do stop at ALMOST all red lights and stop signs though, unless we have a very good view of them then we'll go through them at a slower speed.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dday05 View Post
        We do stop at ALMOST all red lights and stop signs though, unless we have a very good view of them then we'll go through them at a slower speed.
        Exactly. I think I get the intention of the stopping at green lights person, but in all honesty, it's stupid and dangerous. Slow down to the point where you can stop if you have to for red lights/stop signs, wait and insure that all drivers have seen you and are yielding, then proceed. Green lights go through. Everyone else goes through a green light if they don't have emergency lights, no reason for us to not go through them too.
        Fir Na Tine
        Fir Na Au Saol

        Comment


        • #5
          I don't stop at green lights, nor do I know of anybody else on my department that does that.

          Comment


          • #6
            stiring again huh?

            Chicago,

            I missed the thread you are evidently poking fun at. Is someone out there actually saying that while responding they stop at green lights?? Maybe its to make sure another engine or truck isn't coming from the other way.

            Seems like that would actually make things even worse!!
            RK
            cell #901-494-9437

            Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

            "Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.


            Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MemphisE34a View Post
              Chicago,

              I missed the thread you are evidently poking fun at. Is someone out there actually saying that while responding they stop at green lights?? Maybe its to make sure another engine or truck isn't coming from the other way.

              Seems like that would actually make things even worse!!
              http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...ighlight=erika

              There ya go.
              September 11th - Never Forget

              I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

              Sheri
              IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
              Honorary Flatlander

              RAY WAS HERE FIRST

              Comment


              • #8
                How many Departments out there stop at green lights when responding to a fire lights and siren?
                None around here.
                "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'll slow down slightly for green lights depending on the intersection, but if the flow of traffic is "normal" I just cruise through.
                  Originally posted by ThNozzleMan
                  Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

                  I A C O J
                  FTM-PTB


                  Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    We will slow down for Green lights enough to bring the apparatus undercontrol incase the "redlight bandit" is there, but for the most part we dont blaze threw the intersection. As for redlights? I come almost to a complete stop then proceed. With todays drivers and depending on the time of day and traffic its almost a given to stop as people dont pay attention. To many stereo's cranked up, cellphones ringing, and kids yelling for the average driver to pay attention to us anymore.
                    Pere Marquette Fire Department
                    "First in Last Out Crew"
                    Engine 2911

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Rescue2947 View Post
                      We will slow down for Green lights enough to bring the apparatus undercontrol incase the "redlight bandit" is there, but for the most part we dont blaze threw the intersection. As for redlights? I come almost to a complete stop then proceed. With todays drivers and depending on the time of day and traffic its almost a given to stop as people dont pay attention. To many stereo's cranked up, cellphones ringing, and kids yelling for the average driver to pay attention to us anymore.
                      Same theory on my departments. We teach our guys to get out of the gas and be prepared to take action if someone jumps out. Reds we have to come to a complete stop per guidelines.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        A fire truck driver named Dean
                        Decided to stop "on the "green"
                        The rig got rear ended
                        Dean got suspended
                        after the Chief chewed his *** at the scene!
                        ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                        Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
                          A fire truck driver named Dean
                          Decided to stop "on the "green"
                          The rig got rear ended
                          Dean got suspended
                          after the Chief chewed his *** at the scene!

                          Giving EastKY a run for his money
                          September 11th - Never Forget

                          I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

                          Sheri
                          IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
                          Honorary Flatlander

                          RAY WAS HERE FIRST

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Stop at a green light down here and all you will get is the tones ringing in your head until next Christmas where the Boss hit you.
                            Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
                            Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              No stopping on green over here.... pretty much as everyone else.... keep a good eye out all of the time and be prepared to react to anything... whether from an intersection, side turning, driveway etc...etc.. and slow right down to a stop on reds then proceed with caution. Don't 'push' people through red lights...if they subsequently have an accident then over here the offence is down to us.

                              Here is a couple of our going through a green....
                              LFB Shout
                              Last edited by SteveDude; 12-16-2006, 05:59 AM.
                              Steve Dude
                              IACOJ member
                              www.fireservice.co.uk

                              London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"


                              'Irony'... It's a British thing.

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X