X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROOKIELZ
    replied
    I do the Pub. Ed. for my department.
    I was asking the commissioner why people never seem to learn with all the available information and education out there.
    His reply was that people will receive and process the information when they perceive that they need it. It is our job to make sure that the information is available to everyone at all times.

Leave a comment:

• MemphisE34a
    replied
    Exactely the same thing here in Parkway Village. I have hung or replaced batteries in the same house as many as five times, all with the same occupant. Sure we tell people that heating there house with the oven door open set on 500 F and 4 stovetop burners also on high is probably not a good idea. Do they go over there and turn any of them off? No.

I understand your setiment, but I still believe the same. The public cannot or will not be educated.

You think that CHP advertisement is education? Education would be explaining to people how alchohol reacts with your body. How your reaction time slows and you are more likely to cause an accident. Telling someone to call the police when they see a drunk driver is reactive not proactive, and therefore not really educating anyone.

However, if it will make a difference I will double my "education" efforts and start telling people that when they see smoke or fire to call the fire department.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 12-16-2006, 06:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ChicagoFF
    replied
    Originally posted by superchef View Post
    from the NFPA

"Cooking fires are the #1 cause of home fires and home fire injuries. Most cooking equipment fires start with the ignition of common household items (e.g., food or grease, cabinets, wall coverings, paper or plastic bags, curtains, etc.).
    Facts & figures*

Between 1999-2002, there were 114,000 reported home fires associated with cooking equipment every year, resulting in an annual 290 deaths and 4,380 injuries.
    Unattended cooking is the leading cause of home cooking fires.
    Three in 10 reported home fires start in the kitchen -- more than any other place in the home.
    Two out of three reported home cooking fires start with the range or stove.
    Electric ranges or stoves have a higher risk of fires, injuries and property damage, compared to gas ranges or stoves, but gas ranges or stoves have a higher risk of fire deaths. "

The education is out there. But how many people will read the NFPA site? Why can't fire departments have public service messages? Over the past week, I have heard "ads" on the radio from the CHP telling people if they see a suspected drunk driver to call 911 and report it.

**and no I do not think you are mean and uncaring. However, I will ask you a question Memphis. Does your department have a good public education program? Do you educate the public?
    We have a big public ed section. We give out smoke detectors and batteries to any who ask. Sometimes we even go door to door and pass them out or stand in the street passing them out. There are fire safety announcements here.

And all this attention is being focused in areas where people couldn't care less - where children grow up unattended by any adult, where roaches infest everything and are crawling on the walls as you stand there, where many people don't wait to find a toilet - they just go in the stairwell, where unwatched and unwanted babies are crawling out of 3rd story windows, where shootings are an everday occurance, where they call the fire department when their bathtub is leaking (yes, I was on that "fire" run), open air drug markets, aids and hep and tb running rampant, where people bar-b-que in the bathtub or bring the weber into the hallway in the winter, heroin addicts all over the place.

And this is the place where you think the biggest focus needs to be the proper extinguishment and handling of cooking fires?!?

Leave a comment:

• superchef
    replied
    pardon me

from the NFPA

"Cooking fires are the #1 cause of home fires and home fire injuries. Most cooking equipment fires start with the ignition of common household items (e.g., food or grease, cabinets, wall coverings, paper or plastic bags, curtains, etc.).
    Facts & figures*

Between 1999-2002, there were 114,000 reported home fires associated with cooking equipment every year, resulting in an annual 290 deaths and 4,380 injuries.
    Unattended cooking is the leading cause of home cooking fires.
    Three in 10 reported home fires start in the kitchen -- more than any other place in the home.
    Two out of three reported home cooking fires start with the range or stove.
    Electric ranges or stoves have a higher risk of fires, injuries and property damage, compared to gas ranges or stoves, but gas ranges or stoves have a higher risk of fire deaths. "

The education is out there. But how many people will read the NFPA site? Why can't fire departments have public service messages? Over the past week, I have heard "ads" on the radio from the CHP telling people if they see a suspected drunk driver to call 911 and report it.

**and no I do not think you are mean and uncaring. However, I will ask you a question Memphis. Does your department have a good public education program? Do you educate the public?

Leave a comment:

• ChicagoFF
    replied
    repost...............

Leave a comment:

• ChicagoFF
    replied
    Originally posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    The public cannot be educated. Be glad. Dumb people = job security.
    Uh-oh, people are going to call you uncaring and mean now!

Leave a comment:

• MemphisE34a
    replied
    The public cannot be educated. Be glad. Dumb people = job security.

Leave a comment:

• dday05
    replied
    I hope the injured firefighter recovers quickly!!!

Wouldn't you think at that age people would understand??Do they not pay attention to anything on tv,or even in school or when stuff is in the news papper?? I know theres some people in this world that just don't get it. 2 years ago on superbowl sunday we had a fire start pretty much the same way ,after the home owner dumped water on the fire and spread it he was kind enough to open all the windows,doors and even the garage door of the house then he called the fd, needless to say once on scene we had no chance to save anything but the neighbors house! Then the home owner had enough balls to complain that we should've done a better job!!WTF?? Some people in this world are dumb#[email protected]!*

Leave a comment:

• rookienc
    started a topic Educate the Public!!!

Educate the Public!!!

Some simple education about grease fires and immediate notification of 911 could have saved several families' homes and possibly saved a brother a trip to the hospital.

Raleigh Blaze Leaves Firefighter Hurt, 12 Homeless

Updated: 12-12-2006 10:31:52 AM

E-MAIL THIS STORY PRINT THIS STORY

Thomasi McDonald, Staff Writer
    The News & Observer (Raleigh, North Carolina)

RALEIGH -- Juan Alicea and his girlfriend, Maria Echevaria, completed their holiday shopping nearly two weeks ago. They had also stocked up on food.

It all burned Monday as a late-morning fire destroyed their apartment off New Hope Road, near U.S. 401, leaving the North Raleigh couple despondent and in tears.

"We lost everything," Alicea, 31, said as his girlfriend buried her face in his shoulder and sobbed.

One firefighter was injured, and Alicea and his girlfriend were among eight adults and four children left homeless after a kitchen fire ravaged a set of apartments at Dominion Courtney Place, fire officials said.

In addition to Alicea and Echevaria, a second morose family that included a shoeless man, three women and two children less than a year old were among those displaced. Four of the apartments in the beige, unadorned eight-unit building were left uninhabitable, Rusty Styons, a division chief with the Raleigh Fire Department, said Monday afternoon.

An unidentified firefighter suffered a shoulder injury when he was among the first to respond to the fire. He was taken to WakeMed, Styons said.

Styons blamed the fire on a "cooking source" in apartment A. When firefighters arrived, the blaze had already caused significant damage in a second apartment and worked its way into the attic space of the building.

"The fire had migrated across the roof of the entire structure," Styons said.

Firefighters had the fire under control by late morning but were still monitoring the site Monday afternoon.

Alicea said his girlfriend was at work and the couple's two children, ages 4 and 8, were at the babysitter's while he heated cooking oil in a pan on the kitchen stove.

"All of a sudden there was a fire," Alicea said. "I poured water on it and it got worse. I tried to put it out but it just got worse."

The fire quickly reached temperatures so intense, Alicea said, that the window panes and glass in the sliding doors of the apartment started breaking.

"I had to leave," said Alicea, who ran barefoot out of the front door of his home.

The fire began shortly before 11 a.m. in building 4732, where Alicea and Echevaria had a bottom-floor apartment.

Styons said the couple's apartment, along with the apartment next door, were heavily damaged by fire, smoke and water.

"Fortunately, we were able to cut the fire off in the breezeway and limit the damage to the other units," Styons said.

Alicea said his family would spend the evening at a relative's home. Styons said the Red Cross was expected to arrive at the apartment complex to help the displaced tenants with temporary shelter and other needs.

By early afternoon, a friend arrived at the apartment complex with a new pair of shoes for Alicea.

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X