Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronics Purchase Advice - GPS and Digital Camera

Hello all,

Did some searches bud didn't see pertinent info. Looking to buy a couple of items for fire department use and wanted to see what other folks were using and the good and bad etc... Any product recommendations or some products to stay away from?

Digital Camera - Looking to buy a couple of digital cameras to place in apparatus. Need something that takes decent pictures, something fairly water resistant and probably need something that runs on AA batteries so we can avoid needing to keep it charged. Ideas? Recommendations?

GPS - Want to add a GPS to a couple of apparatus, needs to be built pretty well as it will get beat around some and will be exposed to water etc. Needs to run on AA batteris and needs to be handheld so it can be carried in the field.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Rick Gustad - Chief
    Platte Volunteer Fire Department
    www.plattevfd.com

We run the Garmen E-Trex GPS'. So far, so good...durable, simple to use and bright yellow. As for digital camera's, I can't say...Haven't kept up with them lately.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Comment

What are you looking to do with the GPS?? Just give you a heading? Coordinates? Altitude? etc..
      Do you want it to have mapping capability or just bare bones?

I can definitely help you with GPS but need more info!!

Comment

Originally posted by DanTCFD
        What are you looking to do with the GPS?? Just give you a heading? Coordinates? Altitude? etc..
        Do you want it to have mapping capability or just bare bones?
        Primarily for coordinates, we don't really need it for driving directions etc... Main use would be obtaining coordinates that could be passed to aircraft for retardent drops. Altitudes would be good as well. Having the ability to load detailed topo maps would be beneficial. Might get used for mapping the perimiters of wildland fires, so a way to download tracks etc... When not in use as a handheld being carried in the field would be nice to have it mounted in the apparatus and plugged in to 12v supply. I currently have a Garmin GPS III for personal use, and it would probably be adequate, but its pretty old and is really hard on batteries, and the display isn't much to brag about.
        Rick Gustad - Chief
        Platte Volunteer Fire Department
        www.plattevfd.com

Comment

Obviously any GPS will give you coordinates. The nice thing that something like the etrex summit will do vs. the other ones is it has an electronic compass and barometric altimeter. The electronic compass will give you your heading even if you are standing still (other GPS devices need you to be moving). The barometric altimeter is also a lot more accurate. 16 hour battery life. The color versions (the x series) has a MUCH better screen, and for the most part double the battery life. They are also mapping capable and you can easily download TOPO maps to them. I am going to be purchasing an Etrex Venture CX for myself. Color screen, mapping capability. You can purchase the memory card you need. Loadable to a PC. Pretty much everything you would need and a 32 hour battery life.

It also has built in America basemap with rivers, cities, mountains etc. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X