Tobacco policies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tobacco policies

Just wanted to know what policies other departments have about smoking/chewing inside the station, inside the apparatus, or while on calls. Please also let me know what you do for enforcement of the policy.
    I belong to a volunteer department which does nothing to stop people from smoking/chewing in the building (all parts of the building - during meetings, trainings, dinners, etc.), on the apparatus (to and from calls), and while on scene of a call. There is also a state law that prohibits smoking in public building and lists fire departments as a public building. Most of the time there is at least one person smoking both in the station and on the truck. Sometimes I think our gear smells more of cigerette or cigar smoke than of fire .
    Thanks....

City ordinance against smoking in public buildings. We have a designated outside smoking area near the back door. Enforced pretty harshly. Put butts in the can or there will be no smoking on the property. Plain and simple.
    Jason Knecht
    Firefighter/EMT
    Township Fire Dept., Inc.
    Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

smoking inside of the station, except in the apparatus bay, is not allowed. no smoking whatsoever in the engines. if you are inside the station and want to smoke then you have to go outside. however, chewing, dipping, or any other kind of smokeless tobacco is allowed in the station.
      2009 Warren County Firefighter of the Year

Comment

Only rule against smoking in my dept is no smoking in the "community hall" we have bingo's etc in and in the upstairs clubroom...Otherwise its all fair game
        If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Comment

No smoking whatsoever in the station, only outside. Chewing is allowed, barely. Next spit cup that gets spilled is going to take that away.

I have seen departments locally that ban both "in view of the public and inside department buildings and apparatus."

Comment

Timmy, how sweet. I didn't know you posted on here! Look forward to a smoke free dept!
            Last edited by tfpd109; 12-11-2006, 09:25 AM.

Comment

The state changed the law in 1989 and anyone certified as a firefighter after that date must be tobaco free. For the few that we have that were certified before that date that use, it is not permitted in the buildings (again a state law) or the apparatus (department policy).
              Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
              RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
              Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Comment

Our policy is no smoking in the building or apparatus or on scene. We just had a department change this past April where the chief was replaced an all officers were replaced. Before that smoking was allowed everywhere and since then we have banned it, which is the right thing to do (and I am even a smoker). How we get the idea across that it isn't allowed is a pride and ownership issue. Our building's ceilings were smoke stained and apparatus seats were burnt. It wasn't promoting pride in your gear, building and department. Thats how we dealt with it and haven't really had a problem.
                Riverton Fire and EMS
                Lieutenant/Paramedic

Risk a lot to save a lot.
                Risk a little to save a little.
                Risk nothing to save nothing.

www.rafpd.org
                www.franklindesigning.com

Comment

City policy has prohibited smoking in city vehicles for some time. I believe there has also been a long-standing department policy against members in uniform using tobacco in public view. Most people frowned on smoking inside the station, but a state law made that ban official earlier this year.
                  sigpic

Comment

We are allowed to smoke outside only. No smoking in any buildings or trucks.

Put butts in the can or there will be no smoking on the property.
                    I don't know if my butt would fit in the can, Dickey!
                    Sorry, couldn't resist...
                    I know they mean ciggy butts
                    IACOJ
                    If you are willing to teach;
                    I am willing to learn.

Comment

Our state has a presumptive cancer bill that covers us on 30 something different forms of cancer. It's a wonderful bill that has helped out a lot of families of firefighters that have died from cancer. As a result of that law anyone who came on the job after ~1989 signed a contract stating that they would not smoke period. What's amazing is that the Union can protect us from pretty much anything - however if someone drops a dime on you for smoking there is nothing they can do. You're finished. Ironically, the guys that are not covered under this bill still smoke with little fear of retribution. I think there's been less than five individuals throughout the whole state that have ever been fired for smoking.

Our city does not permit smoking on or in any city owned buildings. The reality is that most of our firehouses are ashtrays. Butts are smoked anywhere including the kitchen, apparatus and bunk room. Guys think nothing of dropping butts on the floor after you've just completed housework. A guy who smokes finishes supper before you, he'll light up - no big deal (to him anyway).

It's absolutely disgusting and no one will do anything about it. Anyway, that's my one big gripe with the job.

Comment

We have lots of policies - few are followed.
                        I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

Originally posted by NortheastFF
                          It's absolutely disgusting and no one will do anything about it. Anyway, that's my one big gripe with the job.
                          Your biggest problem is that you are a fireman that doesn't like smoke??? Butch up a little.
                          I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

You can smoke anywhere any time...........
                            ******=================
                            ******================
                            ******=================
                            ******================
                            =======================
                            =======================
                            =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoFF
                              Your biggest problem is that you are a fireman that doesn't like smoke??? Butch up a little.
                              No, I like my health and I try to keep in shape so I can do my job well and hopefully enjoy retirement someday. We're exposed to enough crap at fires. There's no need to continue killing the guys in the firehouse.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X