Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bones42
    replied
    I guess when flames are licking round you butt, you overcome your fears.
    Ya know, I said that once in a thread a while ago, when talking about ladders and having/not having buckets on the end. Someone told me I was crazy and people would not figure how to climb down a ladder.

Leave a comment:

• Chief310
    replied
    Trained with one in the academy, haven't seen one since.

Leave a comment:

• FireLt1951
    replied
    The department still uses them in the training academy as a confidence builder. They were always used in teams of 2. Use to love watching the pucker factor (graded from 1-10) from the trainees. I still have an old pompier belt.
    Last edited by FireLt1951; 12-09-2006, 05:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PureAdrenalin
    replied
    Originally posted by allineedisu
    Thats not a fire department! That is a social club. Someone with the big brass balls should light a fire under some Battakion Chiefs, Captains, and Lieutenants, to get out there and train before some one gets hurt or worst dies because they never trained on this or that. A good lawyer would have a ball with this department if some were injuried or killed!
    I tried, and failed..then left and decided to go somewhere better.

Hwoods, I always wondered if that was possible..always wanted to try it.

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    Not Me..........

Never laid a hand on one in 48 years. When these things were still in use, our area was still farms and subdivisions with 1 and 2 story homes. When Apartments, Office Buildings, etc, came along we were in the next generation of tools, and never looked back to see if something older might be of use today. I will admit to using a Roof ladder as a scaling ladder a couple of times, and made a grab once by doing it. Operation was simple, open the roof hooks, catch both hooks over a balcony rail and climb up. sit straddling the railing and lift the ladder and hook the next railing above. up again, repeat the process. As my generation got older, this kind of impromptu behavior kinda disappeared. We didn't show the new kids how to do it, OSHA wouldn't have approved of it......

Leave a comment:

• allineedisu
    replied
    Originally posted by PureAdrenalin
    Hmm, you should see my old department then. Both the crews and "authority" had no desire to train, ever...and it showed. football, beer, and social events were always more important.

Thats not a fire department! That is a social club. Someone with the big brass balls should light a fire under some Battakion Chiefs, Captains, and Lieutenants, to get out there and train before some one gets hurt or worst dies because they never trained on this or that. A good lawyer would have a ball with this department if some were injuried or killed!

Pompier ladders, yeah I have climbed them many of times years ago when I first came in. All the trucks companies and some engine companies carried them. Most are useless now since new buildings have glass that can't be broken out like the older ones did. The training school still uses them as tools to train on basically make the member confortable using a tool or appliance on the outside of a structure to gain access to upper floors. There has been documented cases where rescues were made using these type of ladders years back.

Leave a comment:

• allnighterinva
    replied
    Well I have one and I tried it a few times but I sure am glad the dept. doesn't have any, lol

Leave a comment:

• PureAdrenalin
    replied
    Originally posted by fireman4949
    If the crews are too lazy, then it is not only a disciplinary problem, but an authoritative one on the part of the officers as well.

I can speak only from a career perspective, having never been on a volunteer dept., but I really don't see that there should be too much of a difference...

Kevin
    Hmm, you should see my old department then. Both the crews and "authority" had no desire to train, ever...and it showed. football, beer, and social events were always more important.

Leave a comment:

• protomkv
    replied
    Originally posted by Bones42
    Ok, only seen pictures of them, but I'm curious as to the plan of operation when one would be used. Is the idea that 1 firefighter will use this to go up x number of floors and then lower the victim out by rope or something? I can't imagine the thought was that a "general public" person would be expected to climb down this. Not having used them, I'm just seeing so many possible reasons against using it that I'm curious to why it was used. I mean, 1 FF can use this 1 ladder to go up a "theoretically" unlimited number of floors. Now what, he's now up there alone with his 1 ladder? I, admittedly uneducated in their use, just see a very limited usefullness to it.

Someone, please educate me on this.
    Ok Bones,
    There are various methods for using hook ladders.

1. the one man way, not often used, you would have to clear all glass from the window frame, or chance getting a lacerated butt.

2 The two man method, you wore a leather belt with a hook that you hooked into a steel ring at the head of the ladder, also on the belt was a bobbin line, when you climbed the first ladder, you would hook on, take the second ladder and raise it to the next level and place the hook into the window, then climb to the top and hook on, your partner would be climbing at the same time and would straddle the widow sill (having cleared the glass) and raise the ladder he had just climbed to you, you proceed in this manner till you got to the required level, once there you would drop the bobbin line to the ground, and either the booster reel or a general purpose rope would be attched and you would pull that up, for rescue purpose, the first man up also carried a lowering line in a leather harness.

3. the staircase method where several ladders were placed up the outside of the building till the desired level was reached.

I have been on two fires where hook ladders were used in anger, on one of these, one of the guys carried a small child down the ladder, and the kids mom climbed down on her own without being told what to do, I guess when flames are licking round you butt, you overcome your fears.

Hook ladders were also used to good effect on several hotel fires in Londons west end.

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    Ok, only seen pictures of them, but I'm curious as to the plan of operation when one would be used. Is the idea that 1 firefighter will use this to go up x number of floors and then lower the victim out by rope or something? I can't imagine the thought was that a "general public" person would be expected to climb down this. Not having used them, I'm just seeing so many possible reasons against using it that I'm curious to why it was used. I mean, 1 FF can use this 1 ladder to go up a "theoretically" unlimited number of floors. Now what, he's now up there alone with his 1 ladder? I, admittedly uneducated in their use, just see a very limited usefullness to it.

Someone, please educate me on this.

Leave a comment:

• DonSmithnotTMD
    replied
    Anybody think this might be something good to keep around? I don't know for sure, it's just that I like options.

Leave a comment:

• 2andfrom
    replied
    Buttock Clenchers Club

Originally posted by Steeda83
    same here until i saw that video the only pompier ladder i knew of was the single beam with the thin rungs off the sides
    "Our" ones were as in the video--but with one exception--NO SAFETY HARNESS WORN!--this was in the days when buttock clenching became a art form.
    You grabbed(from memory) the third round in your left hand and the sixth round in your right-ladder of course is on the deck-lift the ensemble in one swift arc into the first floor(thats why they got rid of them- the new firepersons could not do it) Single man hook ladder drill as follows
    Climb-sit in the window-leg lock-grab ladder punch it up into the next floor-same again and again until desired floor is reached.Two man drill more complicated
    Rather than go into it now-if anyone wants to know the details-Fire Away.
    Last edited by 2andfrom; 12-04-2006, 10:04 PM. Reason: Addition

Leave a comment:

• Steeda83
    replied
    same here until i saw that video the only pompier ladder i knew of was the single beam with the thin rungs off the sides

Leave a comment:

• backsteprescue
    replied
    Originally posted by Bostonjake1240
    Boston use's them for training, we climb 6 stories up and 6 down with it. When you get to the top you have to lock in with a ladder belt and lean back, then one of the instructors bang the ladder and you crap yourself!! The one they showed in the video is nothing like the ones we use. ours have one hook with one center beam with rungs coming off both sides for hand and foot placement.

Those are the only kind I have ever seen, but that's the only video I could find.

Leave a comment:

• fireman4949
    replied
    Boston use's them for training, we climb 6 stories up and 6 down with it. When you get to the top you have to lock in with a ladder belt and lean back, then one of the instructors bang the ladder and you crap yourself!!
    No doubt!

The one they showed in the video is nothing like the ones we use. ours have one hook with one center beam with rungs coming off both sides for hand and foot placement.
    Those are the kind I'm familiar with also, although I've seen them, I've never climbed one. We don't have any Pompiers in service in my department.

Kevin

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X