No announcement yet.

Pompier Ladder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I have one and I tried it a few times but I sure am glad the dept. doesn't have any, lol

Comment

Originally posted by PureAdrenalin
      Hmm, you should see my old department then. Both the crews and "authority" had no desire to train, ever...and it showed. football, beer, and social events were always more important.

Thats not a fire department! That is a social club. Someone with the big brass balls should light a fire under some Battakion Chiefs, Captains, and Lieutenants, to get out there and train before some one gets hurt or worst dies because they never trained on this or that. A good lawyer would have a ball with this department if some were injuried or killed!

Pompier ladders, yeah I have climbed them many of times years ago when I first came in. All the trucks companies and some engine companies carried them. Most are useless now since new buildings have glass that can't be broken out like the older ones did. The training school still uses them as tools to train on basically make the member confortable using a tool or appliance on the outside of a structure to gain access to upper floors. There has been documented cases where rescues were made using these type of ladders years back.
      OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
      343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Comment

Not Me..........

Never laid a hand on one in 48 years. When these things were still in use, our area was still farms and subdivisions with 1 and 2 story homes. When Apartments, Office Buildings, etc, came along we were in the next generation of tools, and never looked back to see if something older might be of use today. I will admit to using a Roof ladder as a scaling ladder a couple of times, and made a grab once by doing it. Operation was simple, open the roof hooks, catch both hooks over a balcony rail and climb up. sit straddling the railing and lift the ladder and hook the next railing above. up again, repeat the process. As my generation got older, this kind of impromptu behavior kinda disappeared. We didn't show the new kids how to do it, OSHA wouldn't have approved of it......
        Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
        In memory of
        Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
        Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Originally posted by allineedisu
          Thats not a fire department! That is a social club. Someone with the big brass balls should light a fire under some Battakion Chiefs, Captains, and Lieutenants, to get out there and train before some one gets hurt or worst dies because they never trained on this or that. A good lawyer would have a ball with this department if some were injuried or killed!
          I tried, and failed..then left and decided to go somewhere better.

Hwoods, I always wondered if that was possible..always wanted to try it.
          'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Comment

The department still uses them in the training academy as a confidence builder. They were always used in teams of 2. Use to love watching the pucker factor (graded from 1-10) from the trainees. I still have an old pompier belt.
            Last edited by FireLt1951; 12-09-2006, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Trained with one in the academy, haven't seen one since.

Comment

I guess when flames are licking round you butt, you overcome your fears.
                Ya know, I said that once in a thread a while ago, when talking about ladders and having/not having buckets on the end. Someone told me I was crazy and people would not figure how to climb down a ladder.
                "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X