Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pompier Ladder

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pompier Ladder

    Just curious how many(if any) departments still use pompier ladders in the field or training.

    I know in providence, ri it's used in the recruit academy and boston, ma does the same(or was)

  • #2
    A lot of companies around us still use them.....they make great pot and pan racks.

    Comment


    • #3
      New Haven Fire Dept,New Haven CT still use them in the academy. Last I knew both tiller trucks carried them as well.
      MAC

      Comment


      • #4
        I saw a pompier ladder in person once, and that's the closest I ever want to get to using one. Although I do like the pot & pan rack idea...

        Comment


        • #5
          I've never used one, but my FT department still has them on our '85 102' AerialCat.

          Comment


          • #6
            If you have to oppourtunity to see "The Bronx is Burning" the BBC documentary that followed the book "Report from Engine Co. 82", you will see a pompier ladder on side of their tiller.

            http://www.yfd.org/skillsdrills.htm

            Videos:

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKHc6xgk5o (These guys must be on Acid...........but I am so jealous. )

            ** I know that there are more, just cant find them
            ------------------------------------
            These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
            ------------------------------------

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by RFRDxplorer
              Videos:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKHc6xgk5o (These guys must be on Acid...........but I am so jealous. )
              That was me in the middle!
              Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
              IAFF Local 2339
              K of C 4th Degree
              "LEATHER FOREVER"
              Member I.A.C.O.J.
              http://www.tfdfire.com/
              "Fir na tine"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Catch22
                I've never used one, but my FT department still has them on our '85 102' AerialCat.
                You've never used one at a job or you've never drilled with one?

                FTM-PTB

                Comment


                • #9
                  i should be gettin the opportunity to climb one in the coming months maybe ill get some cool pics or a video of it

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by FFFRED
                    You've never used one at a job or you've never drilled with one?

                    FTM-PTB
                    Niether of the above.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hook Ladders

                      Originally posted by bobsnyder
                      I saw a pompier ladder in person once, and that's the closest I ever want to get to using one. Although I do like the pot & pan rack idea...
                      Trained with them and used them in anger-taken off the run by the poofter Health and Safety crew in or around the early 80's(apparently the new breed of Firepersons could not lift them) They were the best confidence booster devised by the Fire Brigade--"Two man hook ladders to the 10th floor -GO!" This order barked out by a Drill Instructor made sure the flakes and fakes were eliminated.

                      There was a saying in the LFB "What apart from a Hook Ladder has a 6 inch bill and 8 jagged teeth?"


                      Answer"Yer Mother in Law"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Catch22
                        Niether of the above.

                        Don't you think it is a bit odd and perhaps dangerous that a peice of equipment such as a scaling ladder is on your appratus but you've never drilled on its use?

                        FTM-PTB

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by FFFRED
                          Don't you think it is a bit odd and perhaps dangerous that a peice of equipment such as a scaling ladder is on your appratus but you've never drilled on its use?

                          FTM-PTB
                          Actually, I would agree with you. I'm not assigned to that truck (it's actually a reserve that's getting ready to be replaced), not that that's an excuse. When I first got hired on, we looked at it and talked about how it's used and discussed why it's even on the truck as no one could remember the last time it was pulled off.

                          Kind of like a hose sleeve I guess, we all know it's there and what it's for, just never had the need to use it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Catch22
                            Actually, I would agree with you. I'm not assigned to that truck (it's actually a reserve that's getting ready to be replaced), not that that's an excuse. When I first got hired on, we looked at it and talked about how it's used and discussed why it's even on the truck as no one could remember the last time it was pulled off.

                            Kind of like a hose sleeve I guess, we all know it's there and what it's for, just never had the need to use it.
                            Thats interesting that your department didn't move that ladder to the new appratus. Is it not a ladder according to your departments procedures that can be used? Why didn't it make the move to the new Truck when it was puchased?

                            And I've never heard of not being trained on a peice of equipment because you aren't assigned to that appratus. Or on appratus was nearing the end of its usefulness. I'm assigned to an Engine but I am trained in the use of forcible entry tools, the torch and the ladders...etc. Just the same truckies know how to properly strech and estimate for Engine ops...they know foam...etc. And when god willing we get a new appratus...all the old gear comes with us.

                            How do your officers or your firemen maintain profiecncy in their trade and skills when you never touch a ladder or a hose sleeve? A loss of water is an urgent situation that requires swift and practiced evolutions to rectify in a safe and timely manner. Yet you've never used it? How often do your members drill? It is no wonder so many departments needed EMS to justify their jobs...sounds like some don't even drill during the tour when time allows.

                            Does your dept. buy all new equipment and hand tools everytime you purchase a new rig?

                            I am honestly a little puzzled by this. I honestly hope you say a little prayer everytime you report for duty.

                            Sounds like you are leaving alot to chance and luck...I hope my impression is wrong.

                            FTM-PTB
                            Last edited by FFFRED; 12-01-2006, 01:33 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by FFFRED
                              Thats interesting that your department didn't move that ladder to the new appratus. Is it not a ladder according to your departments procedures that can be used? Why didn't it make the move to the new Truck when it was puchased?

                              And I've never heard of not being trained on a peice of equipment because you aren't assigned to that appratus. Or on appratus was nearing the end of its usefulness. I'm assigned to an Engine but I am trained in the use of forcible entry tools, the torch and the ladders...etc. Just the same truckies know how to properly strech and estimate for Engine ops...they know foam...etc. And when god willing we get a new appratus...all the old gear comes with us.

                              How do your officers or your firemen maintain profiecncy in their trade and skills when you never touch a ladder or a hose sleeve? A loss of water is an urgent situation that requires swift and practiced evolutions to rectify in a safe and timely manner. Yet you've never used it? How often do your members drill? It is no wonder so many departments needed EMS to justify their jobs...sounds like some don't even drill during the tour when time allows.

                              Does your dept. buy all new equipment and hand tools everytime you purchase a new rig?

                              I am honestly a little puzzled by this. I honestly hope you say a little prayer everytime you report for duty.

                              Sounds like you are leaving alot to chance and luck...I hope my impression is wrong.

                              FTM-PTB
                              Don't get me wrong, we're not as bad as my last remark made it seem (poor effort at humor I guess). The truck's actually not out of service yet, we just got a sales tax passed that's going to replace it and do some other things (new stations, manpower, training center, etc.). I'm willing to bet the ladders go with the truck when we get rid of it.

                              We are trained on all the trucks (I actually get shifted from the rescue, engine, and quints quite often, rarely is the platform actually in service as a frontline apparatus). We do often pull out equipment and train on it and various tactics. However, in the case of the pompier ladders, it's not the preferred method. There's only two, maybe three buildings that our sticks won't reach (predominately residential and industrial, not too many buildings over 3-4 stories). If I remember right, they've talked about removing them citing safety concerns (don't quote me on that). Like I say, it's not an excuse, but just the way it is for the moment.

                              I won't say that our training program is what it should be, but we're working on it. We've got a new chief and new mindset on the department, so things are getting better (no more "we've always done it that way" attitude). We're also getting ready to hire a training captain to help our over-worked training/special operations chief. This is coupled with a "training committee" that's helping out with training. Just a growing process.

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X