NFPA Standard on tailboard/hose bed riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFPA Standard on tailboard/hose bed riding

Hey gang. I'm sorry I have to ask this but I won't have access to any NFPA standards I can get to for a few days and I'm working on a project for a friend.

I need to know what standard (I believe its 1500) that restricts riding on the tailboard and/or hose bed of apparatus.

If anyone can help me I need to know the standard, the chapter and section number and its exact wording. I appreciate any help you can give.

ALS

NFPA 1500, section 6.3 Riding in fire apparatus is what I think you're looking for. There's more to it than I care to type, but you can "preview" the standard at www.nfpa.org. Just do a search for 1500 and follow the preview links.

Comment

Originally posted by Catch22
      NFPA 1500, section 6.3 Riding in fire apparatus is what I think you're looking for. There's more to it than I care to type, but you can "preview" the standard at www.nfpa.org. Just do a search for 1500 and follow the preview links.
      But I thought nfpa was all about our safety! You mean they are only interested in safety if it can fill their pockets? I'm shocked!
      I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoFF
        But I thought nfpa was all about our safety! You mean they are only interested in safety if it can fill their pockets? I'm shocked!
        Yeah, I've always thought it odd that they charge (and alot) for a standard that we are encouraged to follow.

Comment

It is the same with any "safety" standard around the globe. ANSI, CSA, CE standards must also be purchased.
          Sometimes, in order to make an operation idiot proof, you must remove the idiot!

Comment

Not so

Originally posted by resqtek
            It is the same with any "safety" standard around the globe. ANSI, CSA, CE standards must also be purchased.

OSHA standards are free

Comment

That is because it is a regulation and not a standard.Regulations and laws are typically free. It is the standards that those regulations refer to that you will have to pay for. For example, OSHA will refer to ANSI Z359.1 for fall protection. If you want to know the details of the ANSI Z359.1 standard, you need to buy it.

I have scanned the applicable NFPA 1500 sections and will try to attach them to this post,here goes...........

Crap, files are too big. I will compress them later. Gotta run!
              Last edited by resqtek; 11-29-2006, 11:22 AM.
              Sometimes, in order to make an operation idiot proof, you must remove the idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoFF
                I'd be curious how much of our tax dollars goes into researching and writing these standards only for us to pay them again.

Comment

Originally posted by resqtek
                  That is because it is a regulation and not a standard.!
                  Well mostly it's because it was written by the US Government. Most of the other standards belong to private organizations.

Comment

Access to *all* the NFPA standards is available for $750/year.

At the risk of rolling out the most cliche financial comparison...that's $2.05/day and I spent $1.89 on my cup of coffee this morning (so have to fix my coffee maker...) You'd think we lived in a Marxist country for all the whining things aren't just handed out for free.

It may be a lot for an individual or department that seldom needs them. It's really not much and a perfect candidate for a regional organization like the County Fire Chiefs. If you have local or county Fire Marshals, they likely already have copies. If you live near a top notch reference library, you may have access there.

You just have to take 1/2 a step back to 1995 when you didn't have internet access and going to ask someone to look at their (printed) copy wouldn't have been seen as burdensome to anyone, and people wouldn't have expected to have the 3' high stack of books given to every Tom, Dick, and Harry with an occassional need to look something up for free.

Comment

Ok, I'll try this again. I think Ive got it figured out this time.
                      Attached Files

Comment

...and the rest.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Resq....thanks brother.

To all the rest thank you to some for trying to assist me. To the others, thanks for the laughs.

For $2.05/day you could feed an african country according to that guy on the commericials.

Comment

At the risk of rolling out the most cliche financial comparison...that's $2.05/day and I spent $1.89 on my cup of coffee this morning (so have to fix my coffee maker...) You'd think we lived in a Marxist country for all the whining things aren't just handed out for free.
                            I will agree with you to a certain extent, but why should my/our safety have a price tag on it at all. Unfortunately, safety rules/standards/regulations come out due to an injury or near miss that has already happened. Isn't this enough of a payment already??
                            The only person who does not screw up, is the person who does not do anything.

Comment

The people on NFPA writing committees generally go to the meetings on thiew own time, and the NFPA is not funded by the federal government as far as I am aware. So not too much money tax dollar wise goes into writing the standards.

As far as paying for the codes/standards, someone has got to pay for the printing of the books and the cost of running the NFPA.
                              The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X