Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for info about the past FDNY L-14 failure/collapse (for training purposes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for info about the past FDNY L-14 failure/collapse (for training purposes)

I'm looking for any FDNY members who could assit me in some info on the ladder failure/collapse of 14 Truck. I believe this happened in the 1990's but I am not completely sure. If you would like you can PM me with any info you could assit me with. I am a fire service instructor whom teaches Aerial Device Operations and I have an imbedded video of the news report that was given when the failure occurred. However I have been unable to find any information as to what the final determination that caused the ladder to fail in the manner that it did. I believe I have a good conculsion as to why it occurred from watching the news video clip but do not want to speculate. I can assure you that this information will not be used in any demeaning way other then to support the video as to why the accident occurred for teaching purposes only.

Thanks,

ALSFirefighter

http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/downloads/pd...ons/tr-081.pdf

thats the report done by the USFA, i found it very helpful, hope it does the same for you

Comment

14 is a Tower ladder has been since the 60's also was one of the first two trucks to have the power saw. I believe they never failed but tipped over due to being short jacked. I can check with some of the senior guys at work, but thats what I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by ALSfirefighter
        I'm looking for any FDNY members who could assit me in some info on the ladder failure/collapse of 14 Truck. I believe this happened in the 1990's but I am not completely sure. If you would like you can PM me with any info you could assit me with. I am a fire service instructor whom teaches Aerial Device Operations and I have an imbedded video of the news report that was given when the failure occurred. However I have been unable to find any information as to what the final determination that caused the ladder to fail in the manner that it did. I believe I have a good conculsion as to why it occurred from watching the news video clip but do not want to speculate. I can assure you that this information will not be used in any demeaning way other then to support the video as to why the accident occurred for teaching purposes only.

Thanks,

ALSFirefighter
        Are you thinking of the Ladder 108 incident?

FTM-PTB

Comment

No, the ladder 108 incident I'm familiar with and that is outlined in the report that sneed posted the link to. For anyone who hasn't read that report it is well written and has a couple of other case histories in there, particulary dealing with "light and medium" duty ladders. I give the 108 incident report to all my students and discuss it and how what happened there could happen at anytime when performing rescues. Thanks sneed for taking the time to post that, hopefully some others will find it like we have.

As stated 14 Truck is a Tower ladder that had plucked a civilian woman from a fire escape. According to the news (channel 5 news for my NY brothers) the bucket was then rotated away from the building and the truck then tipped over. The civilian and the 2 firefighters in the bucket received injuries.

I wanted to ensure I wasn't going to upset anyone so that's why I didn't post more, however in the news video the H type outriggers were clearly deployed on the fire building side. The opposite or what I would call the non-working side, the outriggers didn't appear to be out at all. I was trying to find out if the reason it tipped was because the outriggers weren't deployed on the non-working side. Again I just didn't want to speculate and cause any riffs, that is why I am asking for any info anyone would have.
          Last edited by ALSfirefighter; 11-27-2006, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Would this be the incident where 14 picked up a person at a window and attempted to lower her and the bucket to the ground on the opposite side of the rig?

Unsure if all litigation is complete, so I will ask nothing further.

As for the 108 incident, I was first due for that one. Smitty did a great and heroic job hanging on to those kids.

Comment

229, yes that is the 14 incident. If you can email me at [email protected]. I will withhold the women's name and any other info that was given in the news report or what I know already other then us talking directly.

For the 108, that had to be a tough job. Murphy definately had his hand all over several things at that one.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X