Boarded Up: What Would You Do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boarded Up: What Would You Do?

Here's a photo of a house that I took yesterday while in West Springfield, MA.

According to a bystander, this house has been like this for months, and there's possibly squatters in it who gain access through a small basement window opening.

Now, you recieve a report of light smoke coming from the eaves of this house, and it's midnight. How would you handle this?
    Attached Files
    My Fire Apparatus Photos: x635Photos.com

Seth G., Round Rock Texas

Fire doesn't start by itself. If there is smoke then at some point, someone had been in there and might possibly still be. Quick search to find the opening or chain saw to make one. Get in and do your "job".
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

First reaction was "Surround and Drown", but Bones makes an all to accurate assessment regarding how the fire originated and potential "illegal" occupants.
      If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42
        Fire doesn't start by itself. If there is smoke then at some point, someone had been in there and might possibly still be. Quick search to find the opening or chain saw to make one. Get in and do your "job".
        Ditto.

Make entry and search it!
        Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
        IAFF Local 2339
        K of C 4th Degree
        "LEATHER FOREVER"
        Member I.A.C.O.J.
        http://www.tfdfire.com/
        "Fir na tine"

Comment

Yep

Ya gotta go in. I find myself eagerly awaiting the imput of the brother from Louisiana, and the ensuing sh##storm. Does that make me a bad person?

Comment

Btw

How long do I have to remain a "Guest"? I have been here quite a while.

Comment

Originally posted by randsc
              It's hard telling. This problem has been going on for quite some time. My advise, PM the web team and ask them whats up.

Back to the question at hand, I'll have to agree, cut a hole and search.

Comment

Full sheets of plywood pull off easy once you get them started. pull lots and lots of them off.

Larry

Comment

That's what they make CE's and K12's with Warthogs for.Just be careful 'cause you never know what's inside. Under rehab or just cut up,a LOT of potential hazards.And we all know vagrants are good housekeepers. T.C.

Comment

So it is you inside the house then?
                    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
                    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
                      So it is you inside the house then?
                      DANG IT Ian! Ya beat me to it. LOL
                      If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

As everyone else has said - open it up, search it, and put out the fire. I don't understand the question, I guess.
                        I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

Light smoke coming from the eaves and you want to cut already? woah woah woah. How about you make entry with you and your partner with your tools and your TIC and see where the smoke is coming from before you start going to town cutting holes.

Comment

I think I am going to agree with taking off sheets of the plywood. Then find an opening to expand to try to avoid the possibility of the electricity still being on somehow.
                            The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

Comment

Read carefully.This house isn't in Beverly Hills.It IS boarded up to keep people OUT.Use a saw to make quick entry/search.If you wanna do it the hard way,have at it.In our area a house of that type/condition is going to get an application of a gas axe.Assuming we have history which we probably do. T.c.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X