Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• truckmonkey42
    replied
    Why can't ALL buses have seatbelts in them. I sure as heck would want to wear them. Or what about for infants and such who need to ride a bus with their parents. Like say a shuttle bus or lile the buses at Disney World that take you around from park to park. This whole subject of no seat belts in buses really ****es me off. How many people have to die before they figure this crap out not just for kids, but adults as well.

Leave a comment:

• nmfire
    replied
    Don't take what I said to mean I don't think it would be great having kids belted in the buses. What I'm saying is this. After something like this, everyone makes a big deal about how we should have seatbelts on buses and there is a huge uproar. I think this is like stating the sky is blue. We all know that.

What we need an uproar and news media spectacle over is finding a way to make it work. Because the way I see it right now, there is no reasonable way and nobody is trying either. So I'm just saying why waste our breathe complaining about something that nobody is going to make an effort to figure out.

Leave a comment:

• Jay911
    replied
    While I agree that enforcing seatbelt use on buses could be difficult at best, I disagree with using that as a reason to not have belts in buses. Even when I was a kid I was wondering why, when we were badgered time and time again by parents and etc. to wear seatbelts in their cars, having 30-45 of us jammed into a school bus untethered was OK.

I'm going to share some things that I've noticed here ... don't know if it's widespread among other regions.

Buses have a high-contrast sign (generally large black text on bright green background) indicating if they are empty or not. These signs simply read "EMPTY" or "Checked and EMPTY" and hang in either the emergency door or one of the rear windows of the bus. This is very useful in my opinion.. I've been to a school bus rollover where the first thing I saw on my walkaround was that sign, and it's a very good thing to see, IMO. (In case it's not obvious - it's meant to indicate that no children are aboard.)

On that above-mentioned bus rollover, I went inside the vehicle to help safety it, and every seat had two 4-point shoulder harnesses. This was a bus based on an E350 van cutaway with seating for about 24 children. Again, since it was empty and unusable in any case, I don't know if the bus company enforced seatbelt use, or if all their buses are set up the same way.

Leave a comment:

• bigred513
    replied
    deleted post
    Last edited by bigred513; 10-20-2008, 04:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• backsteprescue
    replied
    Originally posted by voyager9
    I thought buses were already required to have seatbelts. The problem is getting the kids to wear them. With 100 kids on a bus with just one driver, it is a very hard policy/law to enforce.

ummmm in my experience.......I've seen 1 school bus with seatbelts.

And, 100 kids on a bus...? That's either an overloaded bus or a huge *** bus.

Leave a comment:

• voyager9
    replied
    I thought buses were already required to have seatbelts. The problem is getting the kids to wear them. With 100 kids on a bus with just one driver, it is a very hard policy/law to enforce.

Leave a comment:

• MalahatTwo7
    replied
    Originally posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    My thoughts are with the Fire/EMS and Police that responded. That's a tough run...Even for tough people.
    Ya. That thought has been running through my mind since the story was first posted.

Leave a comment:

• tfpd109
    replied
    Originally posted by Firefighter2230
    Thats true about kids getting on and off I thought that the bus was on a fieldtrip or had a certain group of students that it was taking somewhere.
    That could very well be, and in that case, a sheet with info would work. Guess I never thought of this until you mentioned it.

Leave a comment:

• Firefighter2230
    replied
    Originally posted by tfpd109
    Not a bad idea, or you could give the students school i.d.'s with the same idea. You most definatly wouldn't want to much info on the ID in case they lost one though (in my opinion). Thet would of course be up to the school.

The downside to both;
    As for the list, around here anyway, the busses make multiple stops. Pick up some, drop a few off, pick up some more,drop some more off. Also, kids sometimes get on a different bus to go to a friends house. It would be hard to keep the list accurate.
    The downside to the ID's would be cost for one. I can't imagine they cost much, but we all know how tight budgeted our schools are these days. Te other downside, chances are some kids would forget them.

I'm all for your idea of having some type of acountability on busses, I just suppose the school and bus service would have to figure out the best way to do it.
    Thats true about kids getting on and off I thought that the bus was on a fieldtrip or had a certain group of students that it was taking somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• MIKEYLIKESIT
    replied
    My thoughts are with the Fire/EMS and Police that responded. That's a tough run...Even for tough people.

Leave a comment:

• tfpd109
    replied
    Originally posted by Firefighter2230
    Should some sort of list be carried on the bus with a students name and contact info or have students carry school ID's or something to aid in identification of the student and who needs to be contacted?
    Not a bad idea, or you could give the students school i.d.'s with the same idea. You most definatly wouldn't want to much info on the ID in case they lost one though (in my opinion). Thet would of course be up to the school.

The downside to both;
    As for the list, around here anyway, the busses make multiple stops. Pick up some, drop a few off, pick up some more,drop some more off. Also, kids sometimes get on a different bus to go to a friends house. It would be hard to keep the list accurate.
    The downside to the ID's would be cost for one. I can't imagine they cost much, but we all know how tight budgeted our schools are these days. Te other downside, chances are some kids would forget them.

I'm all for your idea of having some type of acountability on busses, I just suppose the school and bus service would have to figure out the best way to do it.

Leave a comment:

• Firefighter2230
    replied
    On the news report I watched on tv they said it was a cluster to try and get names and contact info to find out who was who and who needed to be contacted since most of the kids didn't carry any sort of ID.

We have never had to deal with anything like this and I have a question. Should some sort of list be carried on the bus with a students name and contact info or have students carry school ID's or something to aid in identification of the student and who needs to be contacted?

Leave a comment:

• LuckyThirteen
    replied
    God be with the families of those killed and a speedy recovery to those injured.

Leave a comment:

• EFD840
    replied
    School buses are tough, if you haven't watched Ron Moore's webcast I highly recommend it. I've also been to one bus vs vehicle accident where the car was destroyed from the A-post forward with the driver entrapped and yet the bus drove off and could have finished its route. That thoughnes is great but it is totally useless in a rollover. I think seatbelts should required equipment.

Seat belts in school buses would pay off in more ways than protecting students. If they became mandatory today, just think about the positive impact they would have 16 years from now. Those kids would have gone from buckled into a car seat to buckled into a booster seat to buckled into a school bus. When they start to drive, putting on the seat belt will be second nature.

Leave a comment:

• nmfire
    replied
    Yes, school buses are designed to handle a normal crash without seatbelts. But somehow I don't think this design took into account flipping the bus off of a bridge. I think it is safe to say this kind of crash probably removed most occupants from their protective seats making that "design" kinda pointless. The protective seat doesn't help a passenger that is airborn. Clearly, seatbelts would have made a major difference in the outcome here. Obviously there would be a lot of hurting, but I doubt it would be as bad as this.

It has been about 7 or 8 years since i rode a school bus. I can tell you right now that it would take a miracle to enact seatbelt rules on a school bus. Its been how many years without them now? And people enjoy the freedom of not being tied down. It would be absolute hell getting seatbelts to be used on school buses. Also, remember this is one accident. It isn't like we are killing childred left and right on school buses so I doubt it will be motivation enough to make it happen.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X