Major school bus crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by voyager9
    I thought buses were already required to have seatbelts. The problem is getting the kids to wear them. With 100 kids on a bus with just one driver, it is a very hard policy/law to enforce.

ummmm in my experience.......I've seen 1 school bus with seatbelts.

And, 100 kids on a bus...? That's either an overloaded bus or a huge *** bus.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Comment

deleted post
      Last edited by bigred513; 10-20-2008, 04:12 PM.

Comment

While I agree that enforcing seatbelt use on buses could be difficult at best, I disagree with using that as a reason to not have belts in buses. Even when I was a kid I was wondering why, when we were badgered time and time again by parents and etc. to wear seatbelts in their cars, having 30-45 of us jammed into a school bus untethered was OK.

I'm going to share some things that I've noticed here ... don't know if it's widespread among other regions.

Buses have a high-contrast sign (generally large black text on bright green background) indicating if they are empty or not. These signs simply read "EMPTY" or "Checked and EMPTY" and hang in either the emergency door or one of the rear windows of the bus. This is very useful in my opinion.. I've been to a school bus rollover where the first thing I saw on my walkaround was that sign, and it's a very good thing to see, IMO. (In case it's not obvious - it's meant to indicate that no children are aboard.)

On that above-mentioned bus rollover, I went inside the vehicle to help safety it, and every seat had two 4-point shoulder harnesses. This was a bus based on an E350 van cutaway with seating for about 24 children. Again, since it was empty and unusable in any case, I don't know if the bus company enforced seatbelt use, or if all their buses are set up the same way.
        --jay.

Comment

Don't take what I said to mean I don't think it would be great having kids belted in the buses. What I'm saying is this. After something like this, everyone makes a big deal about how we should have seatbelts on buses and there is a huge uproar. I think this is like stating the sky is blue. We all know that.

What we need an uproar and news media spectacle over is finding a way to make it work. Because the way I see it right now, there is no reasonable way and nobody is trying either. So I'm just saying why waste our breathe complaining about something that nobody is going to make an effort to figure out.
          Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Why can't ALL buses have seatbelts in them. I sure as heck would want to wear them. Or what about for infants and such who need to ride a bus with their parents. Like say a shuttle bus or lile the buses at Disney World that take you around from park to park. This whole subject of no seat belts in buses really ****es me off. How many people have to die before they figure this crap out not just for kids, but adults as well.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X