Hockey Puck Locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey Puck Locks

Good afternoon everybody. I am currently attending the SC Fire Academy, and we recently discussed hockey puck locks, and how to get through them on commercial businesses, storage areas, or commercial vehicles. I was trying to find any photographs that you may have of a hockey puck lock, after being broken with a "hockey puck lock breaker". From what it looks like, this hockey puck lock breaker is nothing more than a pipe wrench with an extended handle for leverage. If anyone has photos of one of these forms of locks after it has been broken, I would appreciate it if you sent it to my [email protected] This photo will be forwarded to the SCFA staff, and likely used for training purposes. Thanks alot...R

unless I am mistaken, while not what you are looking for per se, the duckbill tool should allow you to break the hockey puck locks. here is a picture of what one looks like
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

Sorry Doc, but the duck bill, while one of the best tools I've ever used on a shackle lock, is not good for the American 2000. The Pipe wrench and cheater bar will work, but tends to damage the locking pins or the track for a roll down type door to the point of making opening more diffcut or impossible.

A K-12 with a metal blade does the trick if you make the cut about 2/3s to 3/4 up from the key way, you'll cut the pin and the lock in half for easy removal. See below pictures with a red cut line:
      Attached Files

Comment

and of course the Man from FDNY has it.........
        IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
        Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
        ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
        RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
        LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
        I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
        "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
        http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

While on topic. If the hockey puck lock is shielded or Boxed in, try cutting the gate track (angle iron) about 10 inches above and below the lock, then use the fork of the Haligan to grab the angle iron and bend the track away from the building, pulling the lock and pin with it. I would choose the pipe wrench as a last resort...it isnt that easy to do.
          Last edited by MattyJ; 11-19-2006, 08:30 PM.

Comment

I'm with Matty on this, cutting the track works very well for the shielded locks, which are more and more prevalent.

Comment

Just ask a canadian they know all about hockey.
              J
              It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Comment

229 has the answer, the only time the pipe wrench will work is if everything is heavy duty and installed correctly. The assembly will fail at the weakest link and if not put together well it won't be the lock.
                I've seen the American 2000 on a regular hasp and it just broke the hasp preventing us from opening up quickly. Use the FE saw or a torch.

Comment

We use Artie's method because our wheel saw is HUGE.Never seen anyone effectively pry/force one of these off.We cut 'em. T.C.

Comment

Thanks fellas

I appreciate the info and the photo. We have our practical test on Monday for forcible entry, so I wanted to make sure I had all of the methods covered. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Comment

Originally posted by ADSNWFLD
                      Use the FE saw or a torch.
                      A quick note on using a torch:

Cutting the lock in half is not needed. Simply burn a hole through the lock and pin and pull it straight off.

Red dot indicates approximate torch point:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Artie, have you been spending time spying "across the floor" again at the REAL firefighters? Teasing, and happy turkey, to the man with all the answers.
                        Leroy140 (yes, THAT Leroy)
                        Fairfield, CT, Local 1426
                        IACOJ Tillerman

Comment

I have a few tours under my belt with the knuckle draggers.

Comment

Is theft of hockey pucks that prevalent that they had to create a special lock for them?

I don't know, I'm from the South....
                            Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
                            Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
                            Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
                            — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X