Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACfire1
    replied
    I know this is an old post, but I'd go with Fundamentals of Firefighter Skills before Essentials. Essentials doesn't cover EMS or Hazmat.

Leave a comment:

• cowbucks06
    replied
    I'd wait until June or July to buy. Essentials V will be out then, with a new format similar to that of the Brady textbooks and it has new content. As one of my friends put it, it will be all inclusive on basic firefighting skills and will include a new section on EMS and HAZMAT/WMD.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Dammit,I've been found out,hehe T.C.

Leave a comment:

• MalahatTwo7
    replied
    Well we all know that when the fecal matter hits the fan, one of the first places that an outsider (read Lawyer) will go is to the IFSTA manuals, the other place he will head is NFPA. If he's smart, he'll also hit the unit SOPs, and after that, if the case in question contravened any of those, consider yourself "sunk".

Or at least that is what would have happened back on The Hill.

Leave a comment:

• doughesson
    replied
    Just like the Bluejackets manual,the Essentials is a basic intro to firefighting and should also be backed up by experience and good training.
    Also,I've seen 20 year CPOs refer to the Bluejacket for something that they hadn't thought of since they left Great Lakes and I've seen a Captain with 25 years on the department flipping through the Essentials to make his point on a tactic he was trying to teach us rookies in his "Kindergarten class".
    I was taught by the Navy to always have the directions for using something nearby and frequently will have it open even though I am doing something as simple as changing the spark plugs in my S-10.It serves as an immediate reference,and doesn't mean that I don't have a clue about what the flip I'm doing.

Leave a comment:

• Cmdr/3rdalarm
    replied
    Don't think that they are that expensive. I can't remember what I pay for them, as I bought all of mine from the State of Virginia Fire Programs. I am sure that North Carolina has the same type of agency.

Had I known you wanted one, you could have had all of my IFSTA's manuals for the postage. Lol, I could have dropped them off to you as I went throught to Florida in a week. I put them in the dumpster about 6 months ago, since I had retired right before that!!

Leave a comment:

• REVANANT
    replied
    Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    That's the problem, Tim.. the Bartles and James text makes you knowledeable about wine coolers, which can lead to drinking in the firehouse or before responding to calls, which we know has to stop...
    and all you get from them is a hearty "thank you for your support"

Leave a comment:

• CaptainGonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Rescue101
    Bartles and James? State of Maine went to that system/format can't say that I'm all that impressed.I prefer Ifsta which is used by 90+% of the FDs nationwide.It's a starting point not and end all. T.C.
    That's the problem, Tim.. the Bartles and James text makes you knowledeable about wine coolers, which can lead to drinking in the firehouse or before responding to calls, which we know has to stop...

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Bartles and James? State of Maine went to that system/format can't say that I'm all that impressed.I prefer Ifsta which is used by 90+% of the FDs nationwide.It's a starting point not and end all. T.C.

Leave a comment:

• RivCo71
    replied
    For sure stop by your local FD. There is guaranteed one there, and They might even let you borrow it..?

Leave a comment:

• FFFRED
    replied
    Originally posted by ROOKIELZ
    I agree that essentials is a basic starter book. I have been looking for a book with more detail. Can you recommend something? Thanks.

Fire officers handbook of tactics....despite the title...it is good for firemen as well.

Firefighting practices and principles is also good.

Just the same although I only have limited exposure to the books that were produced to compete with the Essentials manual from IFSTA... I can say from the little amount that I've read into them...just about any of them is better than any Red book ever produced.

FTM-PTB

PS- Love the humor Lou...

Leave a comment:

• rookienc
    replied
    Thanks to all who have offered to help me out. Shenry, thanks again, and I've sent an email your way.

E229Lt- If you throw the book at the fire as soon as you get off the rig, is it considered a "blitz" attack?

Leave a comment:

• shenry32
    replied
    Hey Rookie
    I have one I'll send ya. Email me skenry at sbcglobal dot net with your address. Freebie to ya, pass the favor on to a brother in a few years.

My parents and sister still live in Wilmington, so if you're going to stay, I need to make sure you can keep them safe. I've been teaching for a few years and have an extra copy or two. Its all yours. Enjoy it.

FTM

Scott Henry
    Dayton, OH

Leave a comment:

• E229Lt
    replied
    Originally posted by rookienc
    As a full time college student who can barely afford to buy my books and pay my own tuition I would really appreciate it if anybody has a used copy of Essentials of Firefighting that they would be willing to donate or sell to me at a low price. Thanks in advance,

Eric
    Mine's a little outdated but you're welcome to it.

NOTE: Minor damage from throwing it at fires to no avail

Leave a comment:

• NonSurfinCaFF
    replied
    Originally posted by ROOKIELZ
    I agree that essentials is a basic starter book. I have been looking for a book with more detail. Can you recommend something? Thanks.

I should have said there are better sources, I don't know about any readily available books on basic techniques, just bits and pieces of training material from various departments that I've acquired over the years.

Only thing I can suggest is when you see a department doing something differently and you like how they do it, talk to the training officer and ask for a copy of their lesson plan. Often they say ok and never get around to it but some follow through and thats really how most of this stuff is developed anyway.

The Pulaski, Halligan tool, Gasner pack, Mattydale load etc were not just someone waking up one morning and saying "I'm going to patent a new tool or hose load" they had an idea, or saw something someone else was doing, fooled around with variations and eventally came up with something new.

Sorry I can't offer any better suggestions.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X