Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MalahatTwo7
    replied
    The IFSTA, Jones and Bartlett, and Delmar versions of the Essentials of Firefighting manual are merely starting points ... it's up to us to guide the probies and teach them the parts of "da job" that can never be explained in a book.

And that about sums it up. It matters not what you think or dont think about any methodology regarding training, or a book that we treat like a bible (as so many manuals the army has given me are referred). The point of any book is to give the basic Essentials to any given job. None are designed to provide ALL the ins and outs and therefore/whatnots of the job. Only to provide enough information to become (in my opinion) REALLY dangerous LOL. Or really cautious, depending on your personality.

How the instructor approaches the use of any book or manual, and how the student receives that approach are the key factors. As so many of my past instructors have said, "This course is to provide a minimum standard so that we may assess your progress in any given area. What you learn here today, and what you will learn in the field, or at your units will most likely be totally different. But we needed a standard, and here it is." (or words to that affect.)

Leave a comment:

• CaptainGonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by ALSfirefighter
    If your still interested in an IFSTA Essentials, you can contact the New York State Academy of Fire Science bookstore at www.fireacademyfsa.com. They offer it at a discount which averages $5 less then other sites and I believe shipping is free. Their phone within NY: 1-800-758-1818, outside NY 607-535-6739.

As far as a book other then the IFSTA, I prefer the Jones and Bartlett Fundamentals of Firefighter Skills hands down. I also have to say the Delmar book is also well written.

Small world...my son is working as a graphics designer for Jones and Bartlett publishing. They are headquartered in the neighboring town of Sudbury.

Originally posted by ChicagoFF
    The only thing I remember about essentials was a part at the very end that said you need to keep firefighters busy or else they will get "fidgety" and then "horseplay will ensue". It's almost worth buying just for that. Nah, toilet paper is cheaper.
    The wording basically says that screwing around while training will get someone hurt. The boredom ensues when you you try to teach a large group something that really needs company level attention. My personal observation.. there is always a "know it all" who stays on the fringe of the group becuase he "knows it all", then fracks up when it's time to do the evolution.

The IFSTA, Jones and Bartlett, and Delmar versions of the Essentials of Firefighting manual are merely starting points ... it's up to us to guide the probies and teach them the parts of "da job" that can never be explained in a book.

Leave a comment:

• ChicagoFF
    replied
    The only thing I remember about essentials was a part at the very end that said you need to keep firefighters busy or else they will get "fidgety" and then "horseplay will ensue". It's almost worth buying just for that. Nah, toilet paper is cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• ALSfirefighter
    replied
    If your still interested in an IFSTA Essentials, you can contact the New York State Academy of Fire Science bookstore at www.fireacademyfsa.com. They offer it at a discount which averages $5 less then other sites and I believe shipping is free. Their phone within NY: 1-800-758-1818, outside NY 607-535-6739.

As far as a book other then the IFSTA, I prefer the Jones and Bartlett Fundamentals of Firefighter Skills hands down. I also have to say the Delmar book is also well written.

Leave a comment:

• doughesson
    replied
    Believe it or not,the last copy of Our Designs(for all your whacker needs)has a couple pages of IFSTA training manuals including the latest Essentials edition.If I remember correctly,it was for 40 bucks and has the workbook available as well.
    http://www.ourdesigns.com and look under "Educational".

Leave a comment:

• ROOKIELZ
    replied
    its ok for the basics but there are much better books out there.
    I agree that essentials is a basic starter book. I have been looking for a book with more detail. Can you recommend something? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• NonSurfinCaFF
    replied
    Originally posted by FFFRED
    Look on buy.com and amazon.com for used books...they can be very affordable sometimes.

FTM-PTB

PS- Not that I would recomend that book...I'm not sure who really wrote it but the material contained within really makes one wonder what level of experience the authors have.

Essentials like most IFSTA books is written by a committee.

As a generic training manual its pretty good, but I wouldn't adopt SOP's based on it. Your feelings about Essentials are probably similar to mine on Ground cover fires (fancy name for wildland), its ok for the basics but there are much better books out there.

Leave a comment:

• NonSurfinCaFF
    replied
    e-bay

I see new essentials all the time, if you take your time you should be able to get a copy at a big discount, if you don't need the most recent edition you can get it really cheap, I got a slightly older edition of water supply for $1.

Leave a comment:

• FFFRED
    replied
    Originally posted by rookienc
    As a full time college student who can barely afford to buy my books and pay my own tuition I would really appreciate it if anybody has a used copy of Essentials of Firefighting that they would be willing to donate or sell to me at a low price. Thanks in advance,

Eric
    Look on buy.com and amazon.com for used books...they can be very affordable sometimes.

FTM-PTB

PS- Not that I would recomend that book...I'm not sure who really wrote it but the material contained within really makes one wonder what level of experience the authors have.
    Last edited by FFFRED; 11-13-2006, 11:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• firetruckred
    replied
    Originally posted by rookienc
    As a full time college student who can barely afford to buy my books and pay my own tuition I would really appreciate it if anybody has a used copy of Essentials of Firefighting that they would be willing to donate or sell to me at a low price. Thanks in advance,

Eric
    Stop by your local FD or Firefighter school and ask them. Two reasons. They are local and it would cost more to ship you a book then buy a used one. Second, if they are friendly they will have no problem lending a book to an individual who took the initiative to stop by.

Leave a comment:

• rookienc
    started a topic Essentials of Firefighting

Essentials of Firefighting

Eric

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X