Essentials of Firefighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ROOKIELZ
    I agree that essentials is a basic starter book. I have been looking for a book with more detail. Can you recommend something? Thanks.

Fire officers handbook of tactics....despite the title...it is good for firemen as well.

Firefighting practices and principles is also good.

Just the same although I only have limited exposure to the books that were produced to compete with the Essentials manual from IFSTA... I can say from the little amount that I've read into them...just about any of them is better than any Red book ever produced.

FTM-PTB

PS- Love the humor Lou...

Comment

For sure stop by your local FD. There is guaranteed one there, and They might even let you borrow it..?

Comment

Bartles and James? State of Maine went to that system/format can't say that I'm all that impressed.I prefer Ifsta which is used by 90+% of the FDs nationwide.It's a starting point not and end all. T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue101
          Bartles and James? State of Maine went to that system/format can't say that I'm all that impressed.I prefer Ifsta which is used by 90+% of the FDs nationwide.It's a starting point not and end all. T.C.
          That's the problem, Tim.. the Bartles and James text makes you knowledeable about wine coolers, which can lead to drinking in the firehouse or before responding to calls, which we know has to stop...
          ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
          Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
            That's the problem, Tim.. the Bartles and James text makes you knowledeable about wine coolers, which can lead to drinking in the firehouse or before responding to calls, which we know has to stop...
            and all you get from them is a hearty "thank you for your support"

Comment

Don't think that they are that expensive. I can't remember what I pay for them, as I bought all of mine from the State of Virginia Fire Programs. I am sure that North Carolina has the same type of agency.

Had I known you wanted one, you could have had all of my IFSTA's manuals for the postage. Lol, I could have dropped them off to you as I went throught to Florida in a week. I put them in the dumpster about 6 months ago, since I had retired right before that!!

Comment

Just like the Bluejackets manual,the Essentials is a basic intro to firefighting and should also be backed up by experience and good training.
                Also,I've seen 20 year CPOs refer to the Bluejacket for something that they hadn't thought of since they left Great Lakes and I've seen a Captain with 25 years on the department flipping through the Essentials to make his point on a tactic he was trying to teach us rookies in his "Kindergarten class".
                I was taught by the Navy to always have the directions for using something nearby and frequently will have it open even though I am doing something as simple as changing the spark plugs in my S-10.It serves as an immediate reference,and doesn't mean that I don't have a clue about what the flip I'm doing.

Comment

Well we all know that when the fecal matter hits the fan, one of the first places that an outsider (read Lawyer) will go is to the IFSTA manuals, the other place he will head is NFPA. If he's smart, he'll also hit the unit SOPs, and after that, if the case in question contravened any of those, consider yourself "sunk".

Or at least that is what would have happened back on The Hill.
                  If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

Dammit,I've been found out,hehe T.C.

Comment

I'd wait until June or July to buy. Essentials V will be out then, with a new format similar to that of the Brady textbooks and it has new content. As one of my friends put it, it will be all inclusive on basic firefighting skills and will include a new section on EMS and HAZMAT/WMD.

Comment

I know this is an old post, but I'd go with Fundamentals of Firefighter Skills before Essentials. Essentials doesn't cover EMS or Hazmat.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X