Military Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Experience

I have a question, I have been a firefighter in the military for about five years now, 4 of those were riding the rescue rig, and I should be out of the military by next year. I have good knowledge about the fire ground, I have the following certs.- FF 1, 2/ AARF/ Driver operator pumper, and mobile water/ Telecumunicator 1, 2/ rescue technician 1, and confined space / water rescue, SCUBA qualified, hazmat technician, Texas state EMT-B, and space shuttle rescue (this wont be much help I think, lol) What I was wondering if any of this matters in applying for a fire department? I realize there is no better job then a firefighter, so I am just hoping I won’t have to start all over again. I am looking to go work in Indiana, but I would appreciate any help I can get no matter what state thank you

I don't know where you're looking for a job (as far as state, etc), but in my area all that would look good on an application/resume. Around here, they require FF I and II and EMT-B. I don't know if Texas is a NREMT state or not, but it's not hard to get it if you wanted to try for it in a state that requires it. A lot of your other certs should help (ARFF, Driver/Operator, Rescue tech, confined space, water, and haz-mat in particular). Military service won't hurt, either. Good luck!

Comment

Try the Cape Canaveral Fire Department in Florida. Government contract employees and I would imagine that they would be okay with you having space shuttle rescue certification.
      Lieutenant/Paramedic

PTB-FTM

Leather Forever!!!!

Semper Fidelis / YAT-YAS

Comment

Have you thought about working for DOD? I know, 72 hour work weeks and not a lot of fires...all the normal complaints. But, you do have all the certs to basically walk in. I am not too sure how many bases are in Indiana, but I know there are some. Might be good as a starting point while you look for a city job, if that is what you are leaning towards.

Your military time and training will not hurt no matter where you go. A lot of departments like ex-military because usually veterans have some degree of maturity, respect for authority, ability to follow commands, self discipline, ...

Also, a lot of municipalities will give point preference to honorably discharged veterans. I think 5 points or so is the norm which isn't a lot but just might be enough to make/break.

Most bigger departments I know of will make every new hire attend their own particular academy to learn "their way of doing things". However, the knowledge you have gained and the training you have received will benefit you no matter what and could very well give you a leg up when it comes to advanced training.

Comment

Originally posted by FEDVVFAC
          Have you thought about working for DOD? I know, 72 hour work weeks and not a lot of fires...all the normal complaints. But, you do have all the certs to basically walk in. I am not too sure how many bases are in Indiana, but I know there are some. Might be good as a starting point while you look for a city job, if that is what you are leaning towards.

Your military time and training will not hurt no matter where you go. A lot of departments like ex-military because usually veterans have some degree of maturity, respect for authority, ability to follow commands, self discipline, ...

Also, a lot of municipalities will give point preference to honorably discharged veterans. I think 5 points or so is the norm which isn't a lot but just might be enough to make/break.

Most bigger departments I know of will make every new hire attend their own particular academy to learn "their way of doing things". However, the knowledge you have gained and the training you have received will benefit you no matter what and could very well give you a leg up when it comes to advanced training.
          Thank you for the info, but I realy dont want to go dod, if i did that i might as well stay in the military. i will probaly try for the smaller depts back home, the bad thing is they all stop hiring this cycle in dec, and i dont get out till april, lol.

Comment

Some cities and or counties may give you credit for the training that you have and give you a fast pace local course and put you into the station. Others will require you to take the complete recruit program and graduate before placing you in a station.

These don't care where you have been trained and what kind of certificates that you may process, if you get hired you will have to complete the entire training courses. This way they have proof of what you know and your qualifications.

If you don’t want to be a federal firefighter, and I sure do not blame you, with the work week they have and the BS that’s goes with it, then there are a lot of department that are taking applications. Look at the hiring section of these forms and you will get an idea of who is hiring and what they are paying.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by rleslie65
              I have a question, I have been a firefighter in the military for about five years now, 4 of those were riding the rescue rig, and I should be out of the military by next year. I have good knowledge about the fire ground, I have the following certs.- FF 1, 2/ AARF/ Driver operator pumper, and mobile water/ Telecumunicator 1, 2/ rescue technician 1, and confined space / water rescue, SCUBA qualified, hazmat technician, Texas state EMT-B, and space shuttle rescue (this wont be much help I think, lol) What I was wondering if any of this matters in applying for a fire department? I realize there is no better job then a firefighter, so I am just hoping I won’t have to start all over again. I am looking to go work in Indiana, but I would appreciate any help I can get no matter what state thank you

How many threads are you going to start with this same question?

Most departments don't care what you know, where you have been trained, who trained you, who you have worked for.

If you want a job apply for it, take all the tests, jump all the hoops and hope and pray that you get an interview and maybe, just maybe you get selected for hiring and get hired and get through the recruit training, graduate and be assigned to an very active fire company.

Then learn the rig, area that you are responding into and pass the required proby test and the final probably test to become a firefighter.

Good luck.
              OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
              343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse