• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discuss 'Helping Our Own' FD Support Group Creator Forced Out

Discuss 'Helping Our Own' FD Support Group Creator Forced Out

Read the article here:

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=46&id=51898

How Sad...

Mark has done a lot for the small town departments throughout the country. It angers me that a slug can come in and, in the name of progress take away and destroy someone's dream.

Look at the other supposed non-profits this arse has lead... How many are actually helping people besides this jokers family.

Mark and his family need our prayers now. This is a sad day for volunteers in our country. We need to be a group... Helping Our OWN... and Mark has been and always will be one of us...

Comment

This is a real shame. Mark is a great guy who put his own life aside - and his own money up - to keep HOO going. My family and I had the pleasure of meeting Mark and his wife Cleo when they came to pick up a load of donated equipment. To say they were committed to helping struggling rural FDs is a vast understatement. Best of luck to all of those negatively effected by this.....
      IAFF
      PFANJ

Comment

Definitely a sad situation. Mark will be coming back with a new organization soon. Donations are needed all over, so keep the stuff handy to pass around, or do some digging to find a department to give it to in the meantime.

On a personal note, work your elected officials to remove liability for donated equipment in the US. So much stuff goes overseas or gets destroyed because it can't be given to another FD in the US. Lawyers.
        Brian P. Vickers
        www.vickersconsultingservices.com
        Emergency Services Consulting
        Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
        Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

nothing new

Non Profit but yet for the profit of those in charge is nothing new. Just look at the head of the United Way not so long ago. There is big money in fund raising and not for profit groups if the PR is done right but for the wrong reasons. Just look at all the thrift stores and see which ones have multiple outlets and maybe are in more than one state. If money is involved, and especially big bucks, then the crooks with the knowhow will enter the picture and bring to ruin what started as a simple, honest and yet overburdened group and take over. Just look at the fundraising for 9/11 and Katrina to name a couple and tell me that there wasn't mass misuse of funds.

Comment

Nothing burns me more than a dishonest person. I understand that salesmanship can get a little creative in the business world (don't agree with it, just understand that to be the way it is). But, to out and out lie to a guy struggling to try to make a difference for others just to make a few bucks is absolutely unforgiveable.
            If they find that this guy did in fact take over this organization for the purpose of running it into the ground and lining his own pockets and that he did this in an illegal manner, then he should be left alone with a few of us that still care about integrity for 5 minutes or so and then prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
            I really hope that there is more to the story than this.

Comment

Hold on to your hats....

Have complete faith that this is not the end of this. I know that Mark will be back with a vengence. Keep your eyes open and don't get rid of your donations yet. Keep collecting that stuff that is collecting dust for the guys who need it. I am sure there will be a new place to send it soon.

Best of luck Mark.

Jason Brooks
              President
              JB Rescue, Inc.
              www.jbrescue.com
              Jason Brooks
              IAFF Local 2388
              IACOJ

Comment

I have been involved with Mark and HOO since its creation 6 years ago. Mark has been at my house and fire station on his trips to CT to pick up donated equipment.

I have never meet anyone as dedicated to helping firefighters. It is too bad that a greedy person ruined a great volunteer organization.

It will take a little while, but I know Mark and some version of HOO will be back. There is a great need for basic fire equipment for thousands of rural fire departments in this country. Unfortunately, it is easier to send the gear to South or Central America than to the Midwest or South where it is urgently needed.
                -------------------
                "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
                -----------------------------------------------
                Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckbrooks
                  Nothing burns me more than a dishonest person. I understand that salesmanship can get a little creative in the business world (don't agree with it, just understand that to be the way it is). But, to out and out lie to a guy struggling to try to make a difference for others just to make a few bucks is absolutely unforgiveable.
                  If they find that this guy did in fact take over this organization for the purpose of running it into the ground and lining his own pockets and that he did this in an illegal manner, then he should be left alone with a few of us that still care about integrity for 5 minutes or so and then prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
                  I am with you 100% on this!!

Mark and Cleo,

Please post where we all can send donations and help with equipment as soon as you can. Let us all know what is happening. How we can help and support the cause. I have not personally met you...no need to...We all love you for your effort and heart.

Comment

It sounds like Mark was taken by another well organized and experienced con-man. Unfortunately, those who are the most giving, are also often the first to fall victim.

I hope the investigation reveals conclusively whether or not his actions were criminal, so he can be punished accordingly.

As for Mark....

I sincerely hope he will be back. And he should know that he still has the support of all of us.
                    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Comment

I'm a paramedic in the county where HOO was headquartered. I've met Mark several times. While sitting point, my partner and I would stop by HOO to see what's new and chat with Mark and his crew. Everyone was very friendly and welcomed us to walk around and check things out. Mark is one of the most knowledgable people I've met in my fire/ems career. If we had a question, he could answer it! I'm saddened, and quite frankly angry, that someone would do this to such an honorable person and his worthwhile cause. I hope Mark can quickly get HOO (or something similar) going again. God speed Mark and remember the folks in Jackson are praying for you and thinking about you.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckbrooks
                        The sad fact is that there is MUCH more to the story. It will All come out eventually.
                        I have been involved with Mark and HOO since near the beginning and we are all still reeling from what has happened. As we sit and look back now, we know that we should have seen it coming but like they say," hindsight is 20/20".
                        It seemed like every few months we would start getting promises for new funding sources to get HOO off the ground and they Always seemed to fall through at the last minute and since then we have learned that H.R. was not letting it come through if he couldnt figure how he was going to get his "cut" out of it.
                        What Really needs to happen is for Everyone to send a copy of these articles to their States Attorney Generals office and to every Media outlet to get the word out. When that happens there will more than likely be many more organizations and individuals come forward with storys about what H.R. has done to people all these years.
                        There were even threats to do evidence planting and smear campaigns against Mark and Cleo if they didnt shut up and do what H.R. told them to do.
                        This is sickening at best and it is a Dayum shame that HOO could never really get off the ground because of the Mafia type control tactics of a conman.
                        As for the future, Yes , there will be another organization to gather and distribute gear and equipment, and do it properly and with as much **** and vinegar as is possible. Please just be patient for it to get going because it will be done right this time.........
                        Myself , I am still gathering donations and spreading them to needy departments in my region and if storage space is an issue at your department, either find a nearby dept that needs it or contact Mark to see if he has someone on his list nearby to you. Please, Please dont throw it away or ship it overseas. We Still have entirely too many depts in this country needing help.
                        Many people still dont realize how many departments there are really struggling to get even basic gear and equipment. It is getting better but still has a Long way to go.
                        We all want to thank everyone for their support over the years and for their future support getting through this and moving on to bigger and better things.
                        Thanks and STAY SAFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Asst Chief Tyler Sitzer
                        Weiner Vol Fire & Rescue, Weiner ARK .
                        And
                        FORMER Advisory Board member and Arkansas coordinator for HOO.

Comment

Tyler, shoot me Mark's new email when you get a chance. Can't find it. 10-Q.
                          Brian P. Vickers
                          www.vickersconsultingservices.com
                          Emergency Services Consulting
                          Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
                          Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

Hats off to Firehouse for writing this story. There is a lot more information that cannot be made public at this time, but eventually will come out.

I was one of the original members of the Board of Directors and was forced to become a member of the Advisory Board when H.R. took over.

The parent organization would rarely fund equipment pickups. The equipment pickups were a key point in the early success of HOO.

I am looking forward to the time when we can pick up the pieces and start moving excess equipment to fire departments that are in need.

All of the original directors have stayed in contact and we are working to move this idea forward. We are not giving up.

Ken Hanks
                            Former HOO Advisory Board member
                            Former CT Coordinator, HOO
                            Last edited by KenNFD1219; 11-08-2006, 03:28 PM.
                            -------------------
                            "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
                            -----------------------------------------------
                            Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Comment

Brian,
                              I hope Mark doesnt mind me listing it here but I figure LOTS of folks want to contact him.
                              His new addy is [email protected]

Kim Holman Deserves a Huge ATTA BOY for helping Mark and Cleo out. He is amazing!

Tyler

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X