Hoods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoods

What is everyone's opinion on different styles of hoods? How many people use the carbon hoods vs. nomex.

Does anyone use the Morning Pride Ventilating Nomex® Fire Hood?

I'm thinking about switching my department to a different style...any suggestions?

Thanks

hoods

If I were to make any suggestions they would be:

1. Make the firefighters wear them, and wear them correctly. Several times I have seen firefighters in my aera put them on as an afterthought. I feel they work best under the turnout coat and this requires the firefighter to anticipate wearing the hood and putting it on before the coat. As with most things related to firefighting, a good firefighter must prepare for the worst and this means wearing all their gear properly on every alarm. If a firefighter is not going to wear it every time, and wear it properly, then the type of hood makes little difference.

2. If possible, get the biggest hood practical. Even when worn properly, I have seen gaps in the hood-SCBA facepice from the hood pulling open after the firefighter works around a while.

As for the exact type of hood, I was issued a long nomex and it has served me well.

Stay safe.

Comment

Up towards the top of the screen in the black toolbar is a feature labeled "Search". I typed in Hoods and found 392 results.

I prefer the nomex ones during the winter and the PBI one in the summer. Haven't cared much for the carbon fiber one.
      NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
      IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Comment

I prefer a 2 layer long style hood made of P-84 Lenzing. It isn't too bulky and has protected me well over the years.

FyredUp
        Last edited by FyredUp; 11-07-2006, 08:53 AM.
        Crazy, but that's how it goes
        Millions of people living as foes
        Maybe it's not too late
        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp
          I prefer a 2 layer long style hood made of P-84 Lenzing. It isn't too bulky and has protected me well over the years.

FyredUp
          Thats what Ive used for years. Never had a problem.
          Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
          RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
          Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Comment

Go with the Reed Hood. It's truly is the best hood out on the market. Any questions feel free to ask me or get a hold of any Houston firefighter and he'll tell you all about it
            "DON'T GO IN THERE!!! DON'T YOU KNOW THERE IS A FIRE IN THERE!!!!"

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

Comment

Originally posted by cfi268
              Does anyone use the Morning Pride Ventilating Nomex® Fire Hood?
              I use the MP Vented Hood. It's the greatest hood I've ever used. I'm not sure that the vent itself makes a big difference, but the construction of the rest of the hood is head and shoulders above everything else.

It's incredibly lightweight and thin, barely holding any body heat in. The fact that the hood doesn't extend as far down the upper chest or back means that it doesn't bunch up or get pulled down when you put your coat on.

It's also tight where it needs to be (around the face), but baggy everywhere else. It's really the only hood that I've worn that hasn't made me uncomfortable on long calls.

Comment

Originally posted by cfi268
                What is everyone's opinion on different styles of hoods?

Thanks
                What type of hood are you refering too?

FTM-PTB

Comment

More Hood's

Hoods con't...

FTM-PTB

Comment

or.............HMS Hood (not sure if it was nomex or not)
                    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

Here's another Hood...
                      Attached Files
                      ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                      Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

See if these work

Attached Files
                        Last edited by ehs7554; 11-12-2006, 08:33 PM.

Comment

I'm curious if anyone else has had any issues with the carbon hoods. My FT department had a guy who got 2nd degree burns on his ears wearing one. My personal experience is that I can feel a lot more heat on my ears than with the thicker Nomex. Not that this is a bad thing, I know when I'm in too hot. Anyway, I pointed this out about the time the chiefs were having a conversation on whether or not we were going into too hot of fires or not. Gave them something else to think about and evaluate. I'm sure they provide just as good or better protection against burning, but I'm wondering if they don't insulate as well.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X