Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

training ideas

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• training ideas

I was Wondering if i could get some good ideas for training topics for the winter time. preferably ideas that could be more classroom based.
    Thank You LT-5-11-1

Well, This may be a little off kilter to what your looking for, but . . . I am the newly elected Jr. Advisor in my FD and have about a half dozen Jr's in class at the moment and I was looking for something good to reinforce the basics they are getting in class now - both indoors & outdoors type stuff.

I just got a copy of Virgina DFP FF I & II Student Guide and it is great !! The book is (mostly) made up of "Performance Standard Guides" (which is basicly a fancy term for check off sheet) for everythng from Transmitting & Ordering Multiple Alarms to Setting up Emergency Lighting for Fire Ground Operations.

They are lain out much like the traing guides you can get from MFRI and include an Objective, Instructions, Notes, Prep & Equipment, and IFSTA Referance on each sheet.

Based on the look of the guide (It's a set of loose 3 hole punched pages in shrink wrap) I doubt if this is an IFSTA or NFPA publication, but it is based on and references all NFPA & IFSTA material. It was also designed to follow the 4th Edition IFSTA Essentials book.

It is available from the Va DFP Bookstore for about $6 US per copy.

If it sounds like somethin you'd be interested in - feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll put you in contact with the Book Store.

Take Care - Stay Safe
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic

Comment

How about a class on propane safety. If you go to propanesafety.com they have scenarios. Also click on instructors workshop for some visual aids.

Comment

I agree with Dave - the propane council has done a great job on training materials -and it doesn't cost you anything!! I had 3 vollies that needed 4 more hours of haz mat to be certified- but we shared their last 4 hours with the rest of the dept. using this class. Any training officer will find it easy to get a 4 hour class out of their material!! (24 hours if you want more!) Propane Council has done a great job on this!! And I must also recommend the VFIS driver's training class. I've used it extensively. (Promise - I have no affiliation with either of the above - but I sure do appreciate their help!!) My other best source is the state forestry for winter classes - but, not knowing where you're from, don't know if that could help you or not.

------------------
        God is our Fire Chief;
        Jesus is our Incident Commander.

Comment

As a training officer, let me assure you that there is no shortage of indoor stuff to do. Just to name a few ideas:
          -CPR/AED cert or recert
          -Bloodborne Pathogens
          -Haz-Mat Awareness
          -Fire Behavior
          -Incident Comand System
          -Rope & Knots
          -Cold weather Ops
          -Hot weather Ops
          -First Responder/EMT
          -General Fireground Safety
          -Any subject utilizing lecture, videos, overheads, discussion, etc.-do the class now, the drill later
          -Bring in speakers from the gas or electric companies, airport, industrial facility, etc.
          -Communications
          -Recordkeeping/Paperwork
          -Fire Alarm Systems
          -Arrange a tour of some local facility such as a mall, school, nursing home, hospital, factory, warehouse, chemical plant, hotel,
          etc.

The list goes on and on. Use a little imagination, ask neighboring departments for ideas, ask your members for suggestions.

Try to do a few classes jointly with some of yur mutual aid companies. It puts you all on the same page, plus you get to know the personnel you may be working with.

Good luck.

------------------
          Never stop learning, and keep safety first and foremost always!

[This message has been edited by SafeTrain (edited 02-07-2001).]

Comment

go to the training section of this web site. there are dozens of good training ideas there.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X