Winter Drills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Drills

I posed this question last week, but it kind of got lost in the shuffle of the ridiculous threads. What does everyone drill on, in regards to winter operations and such? Frozen hydrants, burst lengths, etc....
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

How about, what type of drills do departments do during winter months? I.E. Ice resuce, SCBA Review, Ropes & Knots, ETC.
    You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

Comment

Obviously not much diffrence between winter and summer operations down here, but when I was up north:

Winter pumping.
      Chimney Fire Operations
      Frozen Hydrant Drill (Catch a hydrant, simulate it's frozen and relay to another)
      Winter Safet Briefing (Ice hazards, etc)
      Winter Water Supply
      Winter EMS (hypothermia and other cold related issues)
      Ice Rescue Ops (if applicable)

Just some ideas.
      Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Very timely thread as we woke up to 6" of the white stuff this morning and had a training planned on ventilation, forcible entry, and ladders.

For us it just involved some snow blowing and shovelling before we started.

In general we have the following during the winter months:
        Cold winter operations (hydrants, draining hoses into the gutter to minimize ice, rehab protocals {call for school busses for rehab}, winter driving {no jake brake}, litter evacs for med calls in case of snowed in driveways, cold weather EMS etc.)

We also plan for indoor activities during winter months:
        Emergent driving
        ropes and knots
        utilities (guest speaker)
        and whatever else we can do in the warmth of the station

For the most part we'll do whatever we have planned no matter what the weather. You can't predict what the weather's going to be like during a real call, so why cancel training cause of some snow?

Comment

Per our Local MOU, we don't train on anything outside if its under 40 degrees.
          RK
          cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by MemphisE34a
            40? We'd never train outside!
            I know a few people who have gone to Antarctica on fire crews and if they can do it, we can too! Just don't turn off the engine and keep the pump circulating!

Comment

Originally posted by MemphisE34a

Well thats why its important to have those drill you can do in the house/station.
              You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

Comment

One thing we try to remind driver/operator of is the need to move the aerial devices (the ladder itself, not the whole truck) once in awhile during near or below freezing temps, in order to keep ice from building up and possibly causing damage. Most importantly, slowly extend and retract it at least a few inches here and there, especially if you're flowing water through them.

Comment

Being that we get alot of snow and cover ice we prep for winter and do other training.

Home Inspections Program - Smoke detectors
                  Drill our rookies on Public Education & Public Relations
                  Ice Rescue
                  Ropes and Knotts
                  Fire Fighter Survival Technique
                  RIT Drills inside the station
                  SCBA Drills
                  Air Management Drills
                  Pre-incident Planning
                  Apparatus Maintenance
                  Annual Equipment Reviews
                  Winter/Freezing related Drills and Trouble Shooting

And much more,

Comment

Originally posted by Firetacoma1
                    40? We'd never train outside!
                    I know a few people who have gone to Antarctica on fire crews and if they can do it, we can too! Just don't turn off the engine and keep the pump circulating!
                    I can assure you that I will not be dispatched to a fire in Antartica.
                    RK
                    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Comment

We do:
                      WALK THROUGHS OF BUSINESSES/CHURCHES
                      HAZ MAT
                      CHIMNEY FIRES
                      WINTER PUMPING
                      ROPES
                      TRUCKS/ EQUIPMENT
                      SCBA
                      EMS DRILLS
                      REHAB OPERATIONS

Comment

We do a lot of the drills mentioned previously.

Now this may sound a little extreme, but my company used an acquired structure during the months of December and January.

We do not see many fires, so when we get a house to train at, we use it for everything (except live burns- not allowed in township). We were throwing ladders and dragging hoselines through a couple of inches of snow. You would do it in a real fire situation so why not now.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X