Problem with spud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with spud

So we have had a problem recently with people coming on as guests and posting about political conspiracy BS. So I have a few ideas to fix this.
    1: Make a new forum with just political talks. Make sure to monitor other threads to make sure no spud (the name that I have given those types) posts elsewhere.
    2: Make all guest posts go through the webteam before publicly posting on pages. You can edit for content and language. You will admit half of the problems that require webteam intervention are with guests.
    Any other ideas to get rid of spud?
    J
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Just my thoughts Firehouse should be free of forums on religion and politics, topics will just about aways start fights.

DON'T LET THE PEST, I MEAN GUEST POST, THAT WILL GET RID OF MOST OF THE PROBLEMS, AND LET SOME OF THE MORE RESPECTED MEMBERS OF THESE FORUMS ACT AS WEB TEAM. LET THEM DELETE THESE THREADS BEFORE THEY GET OUT OF HAND.
    FOR HE WHO SERVES HIS FELLOWS IS OF ALL HIS FELLOWS GREATEST

IACOJ

Comment

Well... since I doubt the messages that I send are actually being read by the Webteam. (to clarify, the messages I type when I "report a post") I think putting some 'power' in the member's hands would be a wise decision. All this political B.S. spam lately is really starting to ruin the boards... QUICKLY.

Here's my idea...
      Give a handful of members the ability to implement a "Spam lock" on threads that are deemed as unrelated to the Fire Service. No.. contrary to popular belief.. the 9/11 conspiracy theories are NOT related to the Fire Service. PERIOD.

A "Spam Lock" would basically lock a thread until the WebTeam is able to review the thread. IF the WebTeam deems the thread to be appropriate, they can overturn the lock and open the thread back up. However, I doubt they would see the 9/11 conspiracy theory threads as appropriate. I think that this would help reduce the number of BS threads started by these BS guests/unapproved members. Once the thread has been locked, it will no longer appear... UNLESS the WT decides to open it back up.

That's my .02.... I think that might help... although, it would require the WT to 'empower' some of it's members. Who knows how that will go over..
      Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

Just a note... the members that appear as "guests" are actually people who have signed up as members, but have not yet been "approved." Something like that...!

At least, that's how I understand it!

Comment

If we could simply click on "ignore" with guests, like we can with registered posters, this problem would disappear.
          Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Comment

Originally posted by nyckftbl
            If we could simply click on "ignore" with guests, like we can with registered posters, this problem would disappear.
            Exactly... I wish they could make it that these people couldn't post on here UNTIL they are an "official" member.

Comment

Then you can become a mindless drone of the state ..

The truth will come out it always does ......

Comment

Originally posted by klienbergtruth

SPUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                J
                It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Comment

You're too late we are already mindless drones of the state. You are just wasting your time there is no help for us.

SO GO PLAY IN TRAFFIC, MUTT.
                  FOR HE WHO SERVES HIS FELLOWS IS OF ALL HIS FELLOWS GREATEST

IACOJ

Comment

FTMPTB (click to see what it means)

Comment

***For those interested***

To add Klienbergtruth to your IGNORE list, simply click on his name under the thread that he started. Something about a "Petition.."

Don't click on the thread, click on his NAME. It'll take you to his profile. Above "Contact Info." you will see "Add klienbergtruth to your Ignore List." CLICK this and then click SUBMIT. That'll take care of the problem... for now..

Comment

Last edited by Nine3Probie; 07-28-2013, 05:58 PM.

Comment

The registration system on this forum has been broken for years. They haven't bothered fixing it despite how many problems it causes. When the problems start, it takes two weeks for a human being on the webteam to respond to it. People have been complaining about this for just as long as it has been an issue (years). I don't expect it to change anytime soon. Until Firehouse.com creates a forum management team with adequate staffing and fixes stupid and simple programming issues, nothing will ever change.
                          Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Id be very much in favor of some senior members having more power to moderate the stupidity that gets posted here. Hey, if people want to do it for free, why not?

Comment

Originally posted by FTMPTB15
                              ***For those interested***

To add Klienbergtruth to your IGNORE list, simply click on his name under the thread that he started. Something about a "Petition.."

Don't click on the thread, click on his NAME. It'll take you to his profile. Above "Contact Info." you will see "Add klienbergtruth to your Ignore List." CLICK this and then click SUBMIT. That'll take care of the problem... for now..
                              Doesn't work for me.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X