Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CaptDon
    replied
    Im liking what im hearing. I cant stand contacts, expecilly now that I went from oe a days to 1 pair and cleaning every night. Im saving now for the surg but i didnt know what kind to get. Im really really liking the interlace laser one alot. does anyone know what the contraindications are? after reading the side effects i can live with them for the joy of no eyewear (minus sunglasses)

Leave a comment:

• Riv3404
    replied
    Originally posted by sts060
    You can't wear glasses under SCBA because it breaks the facepiece seal, but as you mentioned there are kits to fit the lenses into facepieces.
    Although you are not suppose to wear them. I have and have had no problems.

Leave a comment:

• Firestorm1
    replied
    Night vision CAN be a minor problem...

I had LASIK about six years ago. I have 20/15 vision now compared to about 20/400 before. It has been a great success for me and I have no regrets. I feel that I am much safer on the fireground now that I can acutally see and am not futzing with contacts or cumbersome lens kits inside my mask.

I do have some problem with dimished night vision, though. Before the surgery, my doctor explained to me that I would have the problem. They can predict this due to the natural flatness of your eye. The flatter the eye, the more night vision problems you are likely to have after surgery.

If you are thinking about LASIK, it might be worth it to ask your doctor about this.

By the way...Take the drugs they offer to relax you before surgery! Being a big, tough firefighter, I refused them. As soon as they turned on that laser over my eye, my heart started pounding so hard that they couldn't get the machine to lock onto my eye. My hearbeat was shaking the whole table! After they limped through the first eye trying to hold the table still so that the machine could work, they gave me enough Valium to snow a moose. After I was chemically relaxed, other eye was no problem.

Leave a comment:

• fireman4949
    replied
    Originally posted by emtbff927
    I heard the surgery decrease the ability to see things close up? Is this true?
    Too many birthdays are what causes that!

Leave a comment:

• thelife
    replied
    Originally posted by emtbff927
    I haven't experienced anything like that. They do say that as you age you will still most likely experience a decline in your ability to see things close up, but the surgery itself will not cause that problem.

Leave a comment:

• emtbff927
    replied

Leave a comment:

• thelife
    replied
    Originally posted by pkfd7505
    Ok I am scheduled for Lasik in early January, got a question. How many of you had the "bladed" surgery as opposed to laser? If you had the bladed how well did it go? I'm just curious since I have not chosen which one I will have yet.
    I had the surgery with the microblade as opposed to the laser (to make the corneal flap) and it went just fine.

Leave a comment:

• GFPD2005
    replied
    I had PRK 4 years ago and it is the best money I have ever spent.

My wife works for Intralase which is the company that provides the laser for totally blade free LASIK. I believe in the technology. If you are looking into LASIK try to go to a provider that offers Intralase.

www.intralase.com

Although I am of course partial to this, I truly believe it is the best way to go.

Leave a comment:

• clark918
    replied
    The reason for that custom bladed surgery is to make sure there are no halos or night blindness. They said they highly recommended that one for my eyes.

One of the local colleges in Milwaukee had a sheet where you fill it out and get 15% off if you are going to school for Fire Ems or Police. So ask if that works in your area before you pay.

Leave a comment:

• pkfd7505
    replied
    Originally posted by 760dwhfd
    Ok, here's another question. I've been contemplating getting this done for quite some time now. My eye dr. told me to go to TLC in RI which gives a discount for being in a certain vision plan but was quoted $4000 for both eyes. TLC is well known but was still skeptical. I visited another place local and they also quoted me $4000 but still wasn't convinced ( not so popular). Is there anyone else in CT that has had this done and would recommend me seeing them? It looks like I'll be spending 4G's either way but I think I still need to do more research (convincing).
    PS
    I'm trying contacts right now, but I'm one of those guys that can't get near my eye without blinking a million times.HELP!!!!

I'm having mine done at TLC here in Missouri. My DR recommended them also, he also told me that with the new Interlace laser it is almost impossible for them to make a mistake. It's that "almost" part that will make you cringe though.

Leave a comment:

• 760dwhfd
    replied
    Ok, here's another question. I've been contemplating getting this done for quite some time now. My eye dr. told me to go to TLC in RI which gives a discount for being in a certain vision plan but was quoted $4000 for both eyes. TLC is well known but was still skeptical. I visited another place local and they also quoted me $4000 but still wasn't convinced ( not so popular). Is there anyone else in CT that has had this done and would recommend me seeing them? It looks like I'll be spending 4G's either way but I think I still need to do more research (convincing).
    PS
    I'm trying contacts right now, but I'm one of those guys that can't get near my eye without blinking a million times.HELP!!!!

Leave a comment:

• scvfd412
    replied
    My husband got PRK after he got hired in the city. He said it was the best thing he's ever done. I have never heard him complain about any side effects.

Leave a comment:

• BUGGY5632
    replied
    I had been wearing glasses since the age of 6. I had PRK done in late August by LasikPlus here in Albany. I was a skeptic as I have heard some horror stories about double vision, halos etc. Well, I am about 20/40 right now in both eyes and it gets better as the weeks go on. If you consider it, take advantage of the financing through Care Credit. My procedure was about 2500 dollars and through Care Credit it's interest free! Now instead of cheap flip ups on my glasses I can now get some real sunglasses. Keep in mind also to pay the extra money and get the lifetime enhancement package too. You will be happy with the results!

Leave a comment:

• Pancho
    replied
    nice nice, I'm liking what I'm hearing so far. Sounds like it's pretty well advanced as far as not getting side affects etc.. I'm probably looking at getting Lasik in this upcoming year..
    I appreaciate the replies and if anyone else has more keep 'em coming.
    Thanks,
    To,

Leave a comment:

• protomkv
    replied
    When I went for the pre op examination, the Dr told me that they would correct my distance vision but that I would still need specs for reading. I had the lasik done (4000.00) immediately following the surgery my vision was great, could read even very small print, over the next month or so I found I did need to have specs for very small print and also if the light was not very good. It has been 10 months now since I had the surgery. Best money I ever spent (apart from what it cost me to get rid of the bitch, but thats another story) I got the reading glasses from the supermarket for 15.00, weakest ones were all I needed. no halos at night etc, but I do need to wear sunglasses when driving during bright sunny days.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X