Lasik vs contacs/glasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just had it done!!!

I just had Wavefront Lasik done 1 month ago. Prior to this I was about -1.75 diopters (20/200 uncorrected) and now I see about 20/15. Healing time was about 48 hours before my eyes felt back to "normal". I saw 20/20 the day after surgery, and have had absolutely no halo's or night vision problems. My wife just had it done last week, and she saw 20/15 the day after the surgery (she was -6.5 diopters before the surgery).

My brother is also a firefighter and had traditional lasik done about 8 years ago. He says he has some halo's, and now has to use reading glasses when looking at maps in the middle of the night. My understanding is that wavefront helps to reduce the halo's and negative effects. I know of 2 other people at my department that have had it done, both of them absolutely love it.

Obviously there is the potential for serious vision issues, but the statistics don't really bear this out (unless you are that 1 person in 1,000!). In short, I think Lasik is a no brainer for firefighters. Perhaps the Union's can negotiate bulk discounts

Hope this helps,

Mike

Comment

As for as agencies go, I had mine done with lasikplus in columbus. I chose that office because it is a national agency and you can get a lifetime enhancement plan. If you ever need an enhancement down the road you can get it for free. You only have to pay around $200 more per eye.

Comment

Sounds like halos and night vision are non existent anymore. My appointment is set for this Thursday. Fire academy starts in January 17 or 22, not sure if this is going to interfere.
        Sounds like a good deal all in all though..

Thanks for the comments guys, if you have more they are more than welcomed.
        Thanks,
        Tim

Comment

I should add what kind of effects I had during/after. My eyes have always been hypersensitive to ANYTHING going near them, even my own hands. This is why I could never have contacts. I am really bad, I go nuts when anything is near my eyes. My regular optomitrist hates me.

The numbing drops they put in your eyes for the surgery helps A LOT. But that thing they clamp on your head sure is wierd. It doesn't hurt. But it isn't soothing either. Well worth the 15 mintues of slight discomfort though. It was kinda cool, after the laser is done and they are smoothing over the conea flap, your eyes are flooded with water as they smooth it out with this q-tip looking thing. It is actually touching your eyeball. You can see it. You know it is there. Any other time, you would be fighting like hell. But you don't feel a thing. It is just neat.

I had the procedure at 4pm. My vision was blury and sensitive to light for the rest of the night. The irritation and "forign body sensation" was gone by 9pm. When I woke up the next morning, it was clear as day and NO irritation. No halos or flashing. No night vision problems. Nothing. Day after checkup at 10am was 20/15. The first thing I did was buy sunglasses.
          Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Ive always heard that the one serious side effect of Lasik is un-correctable double vision. If its true, I certainly wouldnt risk it. Then again, Id wear coke bottle thick glasses before Id let anyone mess with my eyes. But thats just me. The eyes are one of two areas on my person that I dont want sharp objects around.
            Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
            RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
            Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Comment

The only time I've ever seen double is with the help of a few too many Daquaris.
              Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Originally posted by nmfire
                The only time I've ever seen double is with the help of a few too many Daquaris.
                Umm... your manhood called, it wants you back.
                Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by FTMPTB15
                  Umm... your manhood called, it wants you back.
                  LMAO!

Not to self: Never admit to drinking daquaris!
                  Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
                  IAFF Local 2339
                  K of C 4th Degree
                  "LEATHER FOREVER"
                  Member I.A.C.O.J.
                  http://www.tfdfire.com/
                  "Fir na tine"

Comment

I used to agree with Dave ..about my eyes ............but in 2002 I took the plunge and got Lasik. I have had no trouble, halos, double vision etc etc .........form 20/400+ to 20/40. I am really happy I did do it .............and nm........I love ya man ....but thats FUNNY !!!!
                    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

A few years ago I got laser eye surgery, and I LOVE IT! The main reason I did it was because during night calls I would be wearing my glasses and it was just a pain. So, I decided to get the surgery and afterwards it was amazing. I don't need to put in my contacts in the morning or take them out at night, I don't drop them and spend 10 minutes glaring at the sink and floor trying to find it, and I don't need glasses that can fall off and break.

My eye sight before the surgery was bad, very bad. One pair of contacts - just one pair - cost me over $200. I just got my eyes tested and I have 20/30 vision. Though there was a lot of pain after the surgery for about four hours, I don't regret it. I have only experienced minor side effects:

1. Six to eight months after the surgery my eyes were dry often, I used eye drops.

2. For a year or so at night I was unable to read small print such as a magazine or menu. It's been over two years now and my sight is better at night, but not perfect.

3. Lights at night have a slight halo around them, it's nothing distracting. But, a side effect regardless.

I was very scared to get surgery on my eyes, I mean..these are my eyes we're talking about. But, after doing a ton of research and speaking with people who've received it I got it. It's great, I love it! And when it comes to Firefighting it's just nice to not have to worry about your contacts moving around, falling out, or your glasses moving or breaking.
                      Local 2068

Comment

Ok I am scheduled for Lasik in early January, got a question. How many of you had the "bladed" surgery as opposed to laser? If you had the bladed how well did it go? I'm just curious since I have not chosen which one I will have yet.

PKFPD
                        IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Comment

I might have had the bladed. Not sure. haha I know they said with my eyes I would have had night blindness and halos so I have to get the "Custom" which they said less then 5% need. it was a bit more $, but worth it. They had a glass wall and a monitor so people could watch. When I went in my dad said that mine was different. They cut it a bit more open or sometin. Either way, it took like a total of 7 minutes for both eyes. Only pain was later that day I got a bit sore, not much. Then some headaches at first every once in awhile, but its getting better. I got this done in July. I already have 20/20 vision. My left eye still isn't perfrct but they said with time it will be. I would never go back to contacts. I love it. Good luck with your operation, it's well worth it. And when you look at the price, it seems expensive, but it's not. Just t hink of what you will spend for the rest of your life on contacts and glasses.

Comment

Actually the prices are better then I thought. My two options are, have the custom procedure done which uses a blade and costs $1495 per eye. the other option is with the new Interlace laser which is done without a blade and costs $1995 per eye. So it is a $1000 difference between the two, which is one reason I've been asking people what kind of experience they have had with the two. I'm just trying to figure out if the Interlace method is worth an additional $1000. Right now I'm leaning toward the Interlace method because I hear that allot of people that have that one done end up with better then 20/20 vision, and there are less chances of a mistake.

PKFPD
                            IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Comment

I received the laser surgery, it was much more expensive but everything was computerized. The surgery literally took 45 seconds for each eye, there was a person in the room counting down. After my second eye was done I got up and looked at the wall, and I could see everything without contacts/glasses.

If I recall bladed surgery gives way to more side effects. This was another reason I went with laser.
                              Local 2068

Comment

When I went for the pre op examination, the Dr told me that they would correct my distance vision but that I would still need specs for reading. I had the lasik done (4000.00) immediately following the surgery my vision was great, could read even very small print, over the next month or so I found I did need to have specs for very small print and also if the light was not very good. It has been 10 months now since I had the surgery. Best money I ever spent (apart from what it cost me to get rid of the bitch, but thats another story) I got the reading glasses from the supermarket for 15.00, weakest ones were all I needed. no halos at night etc, but I do need to wear sunglasses when driving during bright sunny days.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X