Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lasik vs contacs/glasses

Hey guys...
    Im debating on whether or not I should get lasik surgery. I've heard of some of the negative sides of it, mainly the night blindness and the halos. I was wanting to get some input about it though. Has anyone had lasik done and if so do you have halos or night blindness? Does it effect you at all and what does it look like?
    My other option is getting contacs or just keep my glasses. The doc recommended lasik considering my choice of career.
    Any additional input is appreciated. Any comments or what nots you have about lasik.. let's hear it.
    Thanks much,
    Tim

I don't know how helpful I will be with the fire side of this, but I had corrective surgery in August. I didn't have lasik, but I had a procedure done called PRK. It's basically lasik without opening a flap. I have had no problems so far and can't imagine going back to contacs or glasses. I'm trying to get on with Columbus Fire right now, so hopefully everything will turn out ok. They told me that having the surgery was acceptable. I don't know how old you are, but I just turned 23 and my age wasn't a problem.

Comment

My wife had LASIK about 6 years ago.

She went from 20/400+ to 20/20!

There is no "night blindness" that I have EVER heard of. There is a side effect of halos around lights at night. She said it was similar to the halos you see when there is a light fog at night. Nothing worse.

She was told the halos would diminish over time, and sure enough, within 6-8 months, they were completely gone.

I am considering LASIK myself. I do wear glasses, I am 20/15 with them and about 20/40 uncorrected. That may not sound too bad, but I was 20/10 when I was younger and I really notice the difference without my glasses. Not to mention the fact that I ABSOLUTELY HATE wearing glasses!!!!!

I hope this helps with your question.

Kevin
      Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
      IAFF Local 2339
      K of C 4th Degree
      "LEATHER FOREVER"
      Member I.A.C.O.J.
      http://www.tfdfire.com/
      "Fir na tine"

Comment

Thanks guys I really appreciate the responses... I was looking though previous threads regarding lasik and came across this... Apparently FDA has this new corrective lens that is surgically implanted in front of your natural lens, therefore its reversible. That looks pretty interesting was wondering if anyone had anymore info on it. I have a info meeting set up with the doc this thursday, both of my cousins got it done by him. Soooo, well see what he says and what the options are and the future holds. I might just take the jump and do it.
        Also, it seems that the halos have all gone away and night blindness ceases to exist in all of the threads I have read. Hopefully they've come a long way with this procedure and those arent a problem anymore.
        Is there anyway to wear glasses or contacs with the scba? I was thinking and I dont think I'll be able to do lasik this year because my eye perscription changed since my last visit.
        Thanks again,
        Tim
        Last edited by Pancho; 10-16-2006, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pancho
          Also, it seems that the halos have all gone away and night blindness ceases to exist in all of the threads I have read. Hopefully they've come a long way with this procedure and those aren't a problem anymore.
          Thanks again,
          Tim
          Tim,

The halos, as it was explained to me, are a result of the reshaping of the eye itself, and diminish over time as the eye completely heals.

Your doctor will be able to explain it in full detail...Don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you need. If he/she doesn't want to take the time to explain every aspect of the surgery, find another doctor!

Kevin
          Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
          IAFF Local 2339
          K of C 4th Degree
          "LEATHER FOREVER"
          Member I.A.C.O.J.
          http://www.tfdfire.com/
          "Fir na tine"

Comment

Good point =). Anyone have any agencies recommended?
            My cousins had it done through LasikPlus which is who I'm going to talk to this Thursday.

Thanks,
            Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Pancho
              Is there anyway to wear glasses or contacs with the scba?
              Sure.. I wear contacts and I've worked with guys that wear glasses. I've never had a problem with my contacts. I am, however, considering getting the surgery myself! I'm just not too fond of having someone/something cut into my eye!
              Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

I'm lazy so i will copy my response from previous eye surgery / lasik threads:

I'd been stuck wearing glasses since I was in fourth grade. For 14 years, I had to have those stupid things stuck to my head. They fall off. The screws come apart. They fog up when you get out of a car. They fog up when you put safety goggles on (like for extrications). And I had to take them off for SCBA meaning i am blind. My vision was about 20/600. You know that giant E on the eye chart? It was just a black blur. My eye doctor stopped telling me what the number was because it was too high to matter.

Back in March '04, I had laser vision correction. I can not begin to describe the difference. My vision is now 20/15. No problems day or night. Nothing to fog up. Nothing to break. Nothing to get in the way. AND I CAN SEE WITH AN SCBA MASK ON. I can wear normal sunglasses. I can fall asleep watching TV and not worry about rolling over and breaking them. I can see the alarm clock in the morning (wait, I don't want to see that...). It is like a whole new world. I can't remember life before glasses because I had them so long. Hell, I didn't even know what I looked like without glasses because if I took them off to look in a mirror, I couldn't see anything.

I highly recomend anyone who wants to see again, do yourself a favor and at least look into it.
                Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Originally posted by nmfire
                  I'd been stuck wearing glasses since I was in fourth grade. For 14 years, I had to have those stupid things stuck to my head. They fall off. The screws come apart. They fog up when you get out of a car. They fog up when you put safety goggles on (like for extrications). And I had to take them off for SCBA meaning i am blind. My vision was about 20/600. You know that giant E on the eye chart? It was just a black blur. My eye doctor stopped telling me what the number was because it was too high to matter.

Back in March '04, I had laser vision correction. I can not begin to describe the difference. My vision is now 20/15. No problems day or night. Nothing to fog up. Nothing to break. Nothing to get in the way. AND I CAN SEE WITH AN SCBA MASK ON. I can wear normal sunglasses. I can fall asleep watching TV and not worry about rolling over and breaking them. I can see the alarm clock in the morning (wait, I don't want to see that...). It is like a whole new world. I can't remember life before glasses because I had them so long. Hell, I didn't even know what I looked like without glasses because if I took them off to look in a mirror, I couldn't see anything.

I highly recomend anyone who wants to see again, do yourself a favor and at least look into it.
                  That sounds like an infomercial... where's the 800 number?!
                  Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

They do have kits for scba to put glasses in, I now it use to be, not sure if it was changed, but you were not aloud to wear contacts with SCBA, has this changed or not?

Comment

Originally posted by FTMPTB15
                      That sounds like an infomercial... where's the 800 number?!
                      Hah, I'm not publishing my cell number. But if you PM me, I'll give it to you. ACT NOW! OPERATORS ARE STANDING BY!
                      Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Originally posted by djgilbert32
                        They do have kits for scba to put glasses in, I now it use to be, not sure if it was changed, but you were not aloud to wear contacts with SCBA, has this changed or not?
                        That may depend on the jurisdiction. In Montgomery Co (MD) there's no restriction on wearing contacts with SCBA. I've never had a problem with my contacts while on air/in smoky environments. (A couple of times one's temporarily floated out of position while going underwater during water rescue training, but blinked back where it belonged.)

You can't wear glasses under SCBA because it breaks the facepiece seal, but as you mentioned there are kits to fit the lenses into facepieces.

Comment

I had RK (Radial Keratomy) surgery back in 94. My eyesight was 20/400. with the RK surgery it went to 20/60. I still wear contact lens with no problem. I would like to try lasik but do not know if i would be a canidate. My eye doctor is no longer doing any kind of eye surgery. But RK has worked well for me!

Comment

My experience with Laser Eye Surgery - I had my eyes done in 1998 for approx $2500 per eye (Canadian!). I had no problems with halo or night driving but I eventually had to get glasses again about 6 years later. I had surgery AGAIN on both eyes about 2 years ago and all is good. No night driving problem, no halo. I'm hoping this will last longer than 6 years.

Comment

I had RK (pre-laser) in 1993. My eyes were 20/200+. Thirteen years later, just got checked and still 20/10!

Yup, best career decision I ever made.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X