• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• magnegrip exhaust verses plymovent

we are looking at both company's. any input would be great

Plymovent here.

Comment

We have the Plymovent set up at both stations. The system has worked great with no major issues. The local company has been great to deal with. We have a maintenace contract (twice a year) for filter changes and PM's. Any time there has been an issue like a broken hose they have responded within 24 hours of the call.

Comment

Plymovent had them for quite a while now work great.

Comment

Hi Mr. P, Good to see you here. I'd say any of the two are better than opening three doors and hoping we dont get cancer from the exhaust.
          Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by numbir39
            Hi Mr. P, Good to see you here. I'd say any of the two are better than opening three doors and hoping we dont get cancer from the exhaust.
            Keep up the good work!

Oh lord! We are being over run by people from Lewiston! Oh, wait thats a good thing. High Michael P. Welcome to the forums. Hope you stick around.
            Let us know where you get the money to do all of this.
            Shawn M. Cecula
            Firefighter
            IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

Our department actually had both systems for a while. I'm not sure if things have changed, but 5 years ago Plymovent was significantly more money than Magnegrip...Because of this, our department eventually went with Magnegrip.

Both systems work. I felt that the Plymovent's were more user friendly in how they made their connection to the vehicle. The Plymovent hose could attach to nearly any size exhaust pipe. The Magnegrip's on the other hand have to attach to a special receiver that must be added to all your vehicles. It takes a bit more work to line up the hose to the receiver also.

Also, the retraction system on the Plymovent's were less trouble than the Magnegrip. The Magnegrip retracters tended to jam in the slide rail when we first got them. This wasn't the case when we had the Plymovent.

Those two things being said...after some adjustments and learning the equipment, we rarely have problems with the Magnegrip. So for the price difference, I think we came out okay. The Plymovent is a great system, didn't seem to have the start-up issues, but costs more. If money is an issue, Magnegrips work fine, they just appeared to take more fine tuning as they are a less flexible system.

Comment

Oh lord! We are being over run by people from Lewiston! Oh, wait thats a good thing. High Michael P. Welcome to the forums. Hope you stick around.
                Let us know where you get the money to do all of this.

AFG grants is our HOPEFULL funding source

Michael

Comment

Never used the Magnegrip, but we've had Plymovents for about 6-7 years. The biggest thing is to make sure the exhaust pipe is angled in a way to allow the boot to release. They are also easy to repair when you do rip the end off one. After a lot of trial and error we've got them working well.

Spend the $ on a decent air compressor and place it as far from the dorm/living quarters as possible. If the system develops a leak somewhere the compressor will run a lot, and the compressor noise and vibration can be irritating.

Comment

We use a Plymovent system ..........and love it .............IIRC they will soon be goign toe neighboring station to remove a Magnegrip and put in a Plymovent system. I/we LOVE IT HERE !
                    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

We have had Plymovent for about 8 years. There ok but we have had our problems with them. We have several scratches and nicks on our rigs because of them We run 7 units out of my station and if a unit goes out and the front doors aren't shut on the rigs next to it they swing back in and hit the doors. We've also had problems with ripping the ends off of the tubes.They leak air constantly now to, but then again we run 19,000 calls a year out of my station so they get abused.

Comment

One Man's Opinion.................

Originally posted by LFD1MICHAEL
                        we are looking at both company's. any input would be great

Move on to something really important like buying more smoothbore nozzles. I do not believe in global warming, the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, or the need for exhaust vent systems.
                        Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                        In memory of
                        Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                        Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Is that opinion from a guy who smokes??

I work hard at keeping my lungs nice and pink, soft and spongy. That means regular work outs and wearing my SCBA more than most of the guys in our hall.

tooth fairy and santa clause is up for grabs

Michael

Comment

We have a Plymovent and have had no issues. Not sure on the cost as we got ours from FEMA. We are moving to a new station and they upgraded us to a new wireless system for disconnects very reasonible. No problems in two years and we expanded at the new station.

Good luck getting your system.

DPH

Comment

Originally posted by LFD1MICHAEL
                              Is that opinion from a guy who smokes??

I work hard at keeping my lungs nice and pink, soft and spongy. That means regular work outs and wearing my SCBA more than most of the guys in our hall.

tooth fairy and santa clause is up for grabs

Michael
                              Michael,
                              Harve is busting chops. Check the search option. I am pretty sure there has been discussion on this topic before.
                              Shawn M. Cecula
                              Firefighter
                              IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse