Truckmans belts worthwhile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truckmans belts worthwhile?

Looking into getting a truckmans belt, probably a leather one, but my question is how do I wear it? Around the waist, duh, but on my turnout pants or coat? I would think coat being coat covers the waist area and it would be kinda useless all packed up. Also, if it goes around the coat, wouldn't i need loops on the coat to keep it in place? My coat (or pants for that matter) does not have loops and that means I'd have to take a few seconds to don it before my pack. What's your opinion?

PS Yes i did do a search and found lots of valuable info but none on how to wear it.

760dwhfd...

In my humble opinion if you are going to lay out the money get a Gut Belkt or something similar that you can use for an emergency repell belt for self rescue. You can do everything with that that you can with a truckmans belt except have a built in spanner.

I use one at work and I have a little tool pouch hanging on the belt. I shove my axe in the belt. Others have knives and webbing and more hanging from theirs.

If you go that route invest in a self rescue kit with something like 8mm rope a couple of carbiners and a figure 8.

FyredUp
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

760:

I wear my Gut Belt on the outside of my coat and have it adjusted so that it is fairly snug all the way around my waist. I slip an axe between the belt and my coat during a fire (right side) and keep a hand light (Fire Vulcan) on the left side. You will get some good input from other FF's on this site as to how they have their belts set up. I prefer a webbing type belt to leather due the rotting issue over time. Good luck and I hope this helps!

rfd599
      www.IllinoisFireStore.com

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp
        760dwhfd...

In my humble opinion if you are going to lay out the money get a Gut Belkt or something similar that you can use for an emergency repell belt for self rescue. You can do everything with that that you can with a truckmans belt except have a built in spanner.

I use one at work and I have a little tool pouch hanging on the belt. I shove my axe in the belt. Others have knives and webbing and more hanging from theirs.

If you go that route invest in a self rescue kit with something like 8mm rope a couple of carbiners and a figure 8.

FyredUp
        Couldn't have said it any better!

... although, the truckman's belt doesn't have a spanner, that's the Milwaukee spanner belt, which I don't think is leather anyways.

Comment

SAR11B...

Of course you are right. The truckman's belt has a large O and a snap clip. But it is not designed to support a firefighter's weight it is a utility belt for carrying tools.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

FyredUp
          Maybe it's not too late

Comment

I wear my truckman's belt under my coat. We wear Morning Pride and with the front of the coat being short, wearing the belt over my coat would render my pockets useless. It's adjusted to be snug. I have a snap hook and equipment ring on the left, Streamlight "Fire Vulcan" flashlight attached with a Yates Vulcan Strap (see link below) on the right. Hope this helps.

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...n_escape_belt/

Comment

To all who responded;

THANKS!!! All of your responses are very much appreciated. I did think about the gut belt and was kinda tossed between the two. I think I'll go with the gut belt. My gear is Cairns and I respond to the scene 99% of the time in my town which means I keep my gear in my vehicle. I still want to attach the belt to my gear for ease of donning. Modifications to my gear is most likely needed for this. Just wanted to know if anyone else has done this mod and is happy with it.
              James

Comment

Now all you need is some jobs to use it at.
                If I'm not here I'm on http://ctfire-ems.com/indexc.php

Comment

760dwhfd...

Any reputable PPE repair place should be able to put 2 or 3 "belt loops on your turn out coat to hold the gut belt in place. They would be of the same material as the coat and not compromize the integrity of the coat.

Personally, mine sits on the floor of the cab right by the door. I pull on my bunker pants, put on my hood, then my coat and then my Gut belt....takes only a few seconds to put on the Gut Belt this way. Make sure if you put loops on your coat that where you put them doesn't hold the Gut Belt in a position that is uncomfortable with your SCBA on.

FyredUp
                  Maybe it's not too late

Comment

FyredUp....
                    Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'm just going to go ahead and take it to a place to put the loops on my coat. I thought about just leaving it next to my gear but since I have to sometimes rush into the firehouse (when i respond to the house instead of the scene) I have to carry all of my gear to the truck and then gear up inside the truck. Having the belt all ready on the coat makes it a lot easier. But it hink i'll try it first without the loops for a while to see how it goes.
                    OSFD100......
                    Old Saybrook?????
                    If so, whats up neighbor!!! Your right about the jobs. It's been to quiet for too long.
                    Not that I'm into a town thats burning down,kudos to fire prevention, but as a former NY (Long Island Volly) firefighter I'm used tomore then just a couple of fires a year.
                    James

Comment

You guessed it.

No one wants to hope for jobs, but on the other hand you practice, practice, practice you would a least like to get off the bench once in a while to stay sharp.

Catch ya on the bridge.
                      D
                      If I'm not here I'm on http://ctfire-ems.com/indexc.php

Comment

I bought one from www.traditionalfireleather.com it is being shipped now I will keep you informed if you would like.

Comment

Got it

Hey FYI, I got my belt in the mail a few weeks ago and it was exactly like the picture. It fit perfect and it looks like it is going to hold up great. I am very pleased with this product and would recommend it to anyone looking for a belt to carry tools.

Check it out, here is the link www.traditionalfireleather.com

Take care and stay safe,
                          Terry

Comment

This might be stupid so I apologize in advance.

I want a belt with a ring to carry either an axe or a halligan. Then I started thinking, this is going to interfere with my SCBA waist strap... and I realized I already had a strap around my waist, why not just put a piece of webbing with a loop on there? Perhaps with snaps so I can change between SCBAs when necessary.

Thoughts? Does something like this already exist?

Comment

Originally posted by Firetacoma1 View Post
                              This might be stupid so I apologize in advance.

I want a belt with a ring to carry either an axe or a halligan. Then I started thinking, this is going to interfere with my SCBA waist strap... and I realized I already had a strap around my waist, why not just put a piece of webbing with a loop on there? Perhaps with snaps so I can change between SCBAs when necessary.

Thoughts? Does something like this already exist?

SCBA straps are usually not an issue with a truckmans belt. The strap is so thin it will either ride above or below your truckmans belt. I don't like using the SCBA belt for any type or carrying since it's too lightweight in design. And there are situations like a close quarter manuever where your going to unhook your waist strap, you don't want your tool(s) sliding off when you do that.

As for an axe holder, click this link and scroll down:

http://www.savajake.com/products.htm

If you scroll down more, he also has truckmans nylon belts in colors. All the items on that link are made a career FF and i can attest to them being top notch. I have a good deal of his products, a Sav-A-Jake, Truckmans Belt, Hurrican search line, glove holders, search line bag, axe holster, resuc tool holster, TIC strap and more. He has even done stuff custom for me. The quality is amazing. He sells the items on ebay as well under the SAVAJAKE name.
                              Last edited by WD6956; 02-02-2010, 12:55 AM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X